foodie?

fadedt0uch

I've heard several people talk about it, but I don't understand what it is... :confused:

I believe when people use the term 'foodie' - they refer to someone or themselves as someone who has lots of interest in food especially if it is really good and they might be planning a cruise on a shipthat is known for good food........but sometimes what one considers good food ....others might not.

Wes

IMO, a foodie is someone who really loves good food. It's a passion. They love to eat food, and when they eat it they know exactly what all the ingredients are in it. Or they want to know, so they can go home and try to make it themselves! Most foodies probably love to cook and are willing to try different kinds of food, too.

I'd like to say I'm a foodie.........just working on the cooking part! I'm addicted to Food Network!

I'm a retired chef and self-declared "foodie". I LOVE food!:D

When traveling, I try to check out as many different type restaurants as I can, and I look forward to experiencing the various taste sensations. I do 'disect' a really good dish, and will attempt to duplicate it once I'm back home.

Sampling the cuisine of different countries, islands, nationalities is just part of the great adventure when I'm on vacation.

Thinking about the Food Network - I love watching Rachel Ray's "$40 a Day" show. I'm very much like her in seeking out the best and least expensive restaurants, and order the most interesting item on the menus.

I'm a 'foodie'. One of the reasons I cruise. (I live in a very rural area and would have to travel to eat in a good resturant, so might as well get seven good days of it.) I also will check places to eat in ports of call. It's as important as the sites for me.

My fav FoodNet chef is Paula Deen. DW likes Barefoot Contessa. Although I'm the cook in the family. (everyday not just on occasion)

I'm a foodie. It runs the gamut from someone like Anthony Bordane who will eat anything, but tofu to someone who just really loves good food. Does not have to be expensive food, just really good food. Something I have and have not had on a cruise ship.

I am always tempted (and often succumb) to try the Street Vendor Food when traveling-- the freshly cooked hot items (NOT salads or pre-cut fruits or iced drinks).

Nliedel: Good to find you on this thread! That is why I also "browse" the cruise buffets and sample any interesting items. /Sultan

I think with the popularity of the food network, has breed a new crop of "foodies" people are far more informed about food than ever. I think maybe this is why many are getting a bit bored with cruise food. Even chain restaraunts are offering more exotic ingredients in their menus. I think with all of these new "experts", food is more subjective than ever so when people call themselves foodies, don't confuse them with experts, some are just people who love food and cooking!;)

Hi, I think I am a foodie and I am a wine nut too. I think we use the more informal descriptions because we are very interested, still learning and not the experts that we would love to be someday.

Of course the main thing is to find something you love anywhere or anytime. I think a good meal is one of those things!

ever notice that alot of the great recipes started as "peasant" food? coq au van (sp?), goulash, red beans and rice, pork and cabbage, tamales???

Chomp.

• 2 weeks later...

FadedTouch,

I think you've gotten some good descriptions so far. I'll also add....

I consider myself a "foodie" because I enjoy really well prepared food and love to learn about ingredients and preparation styles. Though I don't try to replicate very complex dishes at home, I do try to incorporate unusual ingredients and combinations when I cook. A foodie generally doesn't have too many "I don't eat that" prejudices and usually will try anything once.

I travel around the world and do alot of restaurant research before I get to my destination. From Vietnam to Sydney to Barcelona, I generally know where I want to eat before getting there and I don't often like to simply wander til I find something that looks decent. (of course, I do that too, especially for lunch. I'm not obsessed) Too many bad meals that way - the exception being Italy, where you have to work hard to find bad food.

A good foodie website is chowhound.com I've gotten a few great recommendations from that site though some of those people are a little "hardcore" for me. They'll travel two hours for a bowl of pho while I wouldn't go that far. Also, while I enjoy both very casual and as well as very elegant dining, I won't go so "down and dirty" that I'm sitting on a cardboard box in a dingy basement to eat what some deem "the worlds best _______ (dumpling, pizza, etc.....fill in the blank).

Some confuse being a foodie with overeating. Not so. People that order 3 entree's on a cruiseship because they don't have to pay extra for it are piggies, not foodies. ;)

I'm a foodie. It runs the gamut from someone like Anthony Bordane who will eat anything, but tofu to someone who just really loves good food. Does not have to be expensive food, just really good food. Something I have and have not had on a cruise ship.

I adore Anthony Bourdain! His show, "Cooks Tour" is my favorite even though it's out of production and I'm watching reruns. I loved the episode in Carcasonne where he dumped his dinner in a baggie he had in his jacket when the chef wasn't looking! LOL! I've read his book, "Kitchen Condifential" and I eat in his restaurant Les Halles every so often. He's not in the kitchen anymore, but I think he's still executive chef. I walk by there all the time (it's near my house) and I sometimes see him sitting at a table in the front window and I've chatted with him a few times at the bar.

Jane,

Anthony Bourdain has a new show (less than a year old) on the Travel Channel called "Anthony Bourdain:No Reservations", it's almost the same format as Cooks Tour. There is a new epsoide this week filmed when he got stuck in Beruit last month when the fighting started and had to be evacuated; he was also on Larry King a couple of weeks ago talking about his experience there.

Harvey

CMHF,

Yes, thanks. I'm aware of his new show, however, I don't get the Travel Channel. :(

So I'm hoping that the series is put on DVD's so I can order them from NetFlix or pick it up at my local Blockbuster.

I also read that one of the networks was going to do a TV show based on his life in the kitchen at Les Halles, but don't know if that ever came to fruition or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A foodie, yeah, I can say I am. I love to cook and can do it well and I also do cake decorating as well. My favorite channel is the Food Network and I love to read cookbooks. Tyler Florence is my favorite. BTW I will be meeting him Tues. at his latest cookbook signing YEEAHHH!! But I am a professional taste tester as I work for the Senomyx corporation http://www.senomyx.com we develop and concieve new ideas and taste for the major food companies for their food.

A foodie, yeah, I can say I am. I love to cook and can do it well and I also do cake decorating as well. My favorite channel is the Food Network and I love to read cookbooks. Tyler Florence is my favorite. BTW I will be meeting him Tues. at his latest cookbook signing YEEAHHH!! But I am a professional taste tester as I work for the Senomyx corporation www.senomyx.com we develop and concieve new ideas and taste for the major food companies for their food.

I am so jealous!!!! I'm a Food Network addict and I absolutely LOVE Tyler! Not only do I like his style of cooking, he's just so darn cute!:D

• 3 weeks later...

A Foodie and a Chowhound are not the same thing. A Foodie can be a Chowhound and a Chowhound can be a Foodie. A Chowhound is someone who will go out of their way, sometimes 100s of miles out of their way to have that special meal....whether it's gourmet or home cooking. A Foodie is more focused on the better things in life: the finest, the freshest, the exotic, the expensive. A Chowhound is focused on good food that tastes awesome. Foodies tend to be snobbish about their culinary finds. Chowhounds tend to be more tolerant of their culinary finds. A Foodie would never be caught in a dive restaurant in a bad neighborhood because the food is awesome. Chowhounds, on the other hand, actively seek out such places!

I'm a Proud Chowhound!

A Foodie and a Chowhound are not the same thing. A Foodie can be a Chowhound and a Chowhound can be a Foodie. A Chowhound is someone who will go out of their way, sometimes 100s of miles out of their way to have that special meal....whether it's gourmet or home cooking. A Foodie is more focused on the better things in life: the finest, the freshest, the exotic, the expensive. A Chowhound is focused on good food that tastes awesome. Foodies tend to be snobbish about their culinary finds. Chowhounds tend to be more tolerant of their culinary finds. A Foodie would never be caught in a dive restaurant in a bad neighborhood because the food is awesome. Chowhounds, on the other hand, actively seek out such places!

I'm a Proud Chowhound!

I like your decription, I am sure that some will not agree. I have a friend that is a pretentious food snob, he calls himself a foodie,I no longer discuss food with him, just too exasperating.

I guess that I too would be a chowhound, but to me the better things in life are not the finest or more expensive. I am big into comfort food, simple food done well, although I love almost any kind of food especially when shared with friends and family. I love to cook, and continue to try to perfect the basics, and my friends are very greatful, often requesting things that I have served before, it is very rewarding for someone to say to me "I am still thinking about that....... that you made, it was the best I have ever had!:D

count me in as a proud Chowhound!

MAC

• 11 years later...

Foodie? That's baby talk. Can't we come up with something more adult to describe those who have a deep appreciation and love for a variety of foods. Just loving a Big Mac does not qualify.