Further Greenwich Cruise Terminal Delays.

Mrs Miggins

I think there will definitely be a long long wait for the proposed Greenwich Cruise Ship Terminal. Our local paper reports that there has been so much controversy and local opposition to the plan, especially based on anticipated air pollution which they calculate as the equivalent of diesel from 700 trucks every hour when a ship docks that the developer Barratt London have now put the site up for sale. Apparently a clean electricity supply which would avoid the pollution would add at least six million UK pounds to build costs. The sale price for the site is around fifty million pounds. I suspect we are likely to see more apartment blocks and no cruise terminal in the foreseeable future.

Wow. Interesting but not too surprising I think. I've been there for but the ferry only. Couldn't imagine trying to board a ship there now without a proper facility. The problems that arose for boarding passengers last week seemed pretty bad but the location is so convenient compared to Southampton, Dover or Harwich.

I love Greenwich and I am sure that most passengers have an easy embarkation despite the lack of a permanent terminal. Viking are there fairly often and seem to have mastered the problems after a shaky start. I understand that some of the recent Azamara problems occurred because some passengers were still under the impression that their cruise started at Tower Bridge. This is anecdotal and may only have affected a very small number.

• 3 weeks later...

I am taking a cruise with Azamara Journey in Sept from Greenwich. Do they let you drop off your luggage and check in and then go back out with a tender and explore Greenwich since the ship does not leave until the middle of the night?

We have watched lots of people getting on and off in Greenwich. Only problem recently was extended travel time from Heathrow (due to protesters in London blocking roads) which made arrivals late.

Of course the coach provider should have known this and used an alternative route.

Please do get off and look round lovely Greenwich.

We checked in and then went into Greenwich to meet our son and explore. We had dinner and returned to the ship for some sleep! Tenders ran until 3 30 or even later