Hurricane season in Caribbean

How safe are we Cruising early October?

The cruise lines monitor the storms and will either cancel or sail away from them, so you will be “safe” as far as getting caught in a hurricane. Your itinerary may be modified or changed, if a storm is moving towards where your ship was originally scheduled to sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are not "safe" if you mean possible port or even cruise region(i.e. Eastern to Western) changes. You are safe if you mean actual bodily safety. They will, and often do, change itineraries when hurricanes or even tropical storms approach. For your safety as well as for your comfort and enjoyment. October one of worst months for hurricanes. So if you really want to go to all of the ports as originally scheduled, you are not "safe".

If you don't mind a little unknown factor involved, and just want to cruise to wherever the wind takes you, then you are safe.

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

2 years ago we cruised Mid-September, lucked out and had beautiful weather and calm seas.

1 years ago we cruised early November, it was a little chiller (I wasnt as quick to get in the water) but it was still nice weather and calm seas.

This year we ware going again mid-September and I am hoping because it was such a horrid hurricane season last year it wont be so bad this year. Guess we will find out how it is!

What you have to remember is that a hurricane means poor weather for at least a week i.e. While the storm is approaching, during the storm and then afterwards so it is nor just a poor day or two. I personally would not cruise in the Caribbean between July and November. Good luck!!

What you have to remember is that a hurricane means poor weather for at least a week i.e. While the storm is approaching, during the storm and then afterwards so it is nor just a poor day or two. I personally would not cruise in the Caribbean between July and November. Good luck!!

I don't think you can say this in all cases. There are so many variables with weather. Below is story about a tropical storm we encountered. Not a full blown hurricane, but strong enough to close parts of Disney for a bit.

My family of four cruised out of Port Canaveral in August a few years ago and I was definitely worried. We flew in the same day and you could see the line of the storm as we were landing. Then it got progressively worse as we approached the ship. Once on the ship, torrential rain started. As we pulled away from the dock, the cruise director came on and said that he had just spoken with the captain and he said that the rain will stop in an hour or so and then we will have fantastic weather the rest of our trip. And we did. It was eerily calm and rarely a cloud in the sky for the rest of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Last September we were doing a b2b on Allure ots when hurricane Irma came through Florida. It was not possible for the ship to get back to Ft Lauderdale on the Sunday turn around day so the 1st cruise was extended by 3 days and we returned to Ft Lauderdale on Wednesday and the 2nd cruise was reduced to 4 days. During the extra 3 days of the 1st cruise we repeated at least 1 port in the western Caribbean. The 2nd leg we sailed with 2,200 passengers because many people could not get to Florida on the Wednesday departure day. Imagine the Allure only 1/3 full! The best part of this saga was that Royal refunded the cost of the 2nd leg...half in cash as refundable on board credit and the other half as a Future Cruise Consideration. Royal also set up a call center where you could make whatever calls you needed without charge to check on relatives, your friends or your home.

We felt that Royal handled the situation magnificently so we are spending a lot of the Florida hurricane timeframe this fall on the Allure again!

Other than possibly missing a port that you want to see, or a private excursion that you had booked there really is no downside to cruising during hurricane season...it's an adventure to be enjoyed.

P.S.- There was plenty of good food on the Allure for the 3 days that were extended on the 1st leg. Royal did a really great job!

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye and Costa Maya last Oct 20 out of New Orleans. No hurricane but it rained on us every day and it never got above 75 the whole trip. Oct is wettest month of the year for Belize and Honduras. We researched everything but the weather on our first cruise! We are now planning a trip back there but we are going in January instead. We still had a great time but I wanted 80 degrees and sun shine!!

We went to Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye and Costa Maya last Oct 20 out of New Orleans. No hurricane but it rained on us every day and it never got above 75 the whole trip. Oct is wettest month of the year for Belize and Honduras. We researched everything but the weather on our first cruise! We are now planning a trip back there but we are going in January instead. We still had a great time but I wanted 80 degrees and sun shine!!

Good Decision!

We love cruising to the Caribbean in January and do so every year. (y)