Pre-cruise stay in Copenhagen vs. UK?

quick backstory: Doing a 14 nt. Scandinavian cruise out of Southampton next summer. We originally had booked a similar cruise out of Copenhagen, but liked this itinerary better so switched. But while planning for our original cruise, we had planned a 3-4 day pre-cruise stay in Copenhagen (obviously), and got pretty excited about it.

As this cruise sails out of southampton, i figured we'd fly into London and spend a few days pre-cruise. But, the more I think about, the less thrilled I am with that plan. For one, there is a lot of stuff we want to see/do in Copenhagen, and the 1 port day on the cruise isn't enough. second, I don't have a strong desire to see or visit London (or southampton) at this point. We plan to do a British isles trip in the next couple years so we can do that then.

So all that being said, would it be too much of a hassle to fly to Copenhagen first, spend say 2 nts. There, then fly to London the night before the cruise? I figure we can leave Boston the evening of July 3rd, arrive in Copenhagen some time on the 4th, not sure how much time we will have left to explore on the 4th, then we'd have a full day on 5th, and pretty much a full day on the 6th (hoping to get an evening flight from Copenhagen to London the 6th. Straight to a hotel in London for the night, then to southampton the next morning to board our cruise.

Does that seem feasible or is it too much work for just 2-3 days in copenhagen? The other negative thing about doing it this way is it seems we could get a nonstop flight from home to London (if we did pre-cruise in UK), but I don't see as many options for nonstop to Copenhagen, so it may end up taking a lot longer to get to Copenhagen vs. London (thus cutting into our 2-3 day visit). (I know there ARE nonstop flights, but I am on a budget so mainly looking at the low-cost airlines.)

Any thoughts?

I would say that if you want to do a few days in Copenhagen then do it.

It’s a short and relatively cheap flight from there to London, so I don’t see it as a huge amount of effort. Getting into Copenhagen from the airport is easy, so really it’s just a bit longer on flights (and probably a bit higher cost).

SAS will fly 4 times weekly next summer between Boston and Copenhagen so its worth checking out.

But else its easy to fly via Keflavik, London, Amsterdam etc etc.

When going from Copenhagen to London you have 5 airlines and 4 airports to choose from.

Ryanair will get you to Luton and Stanstead.

Easyjet and Norwegian flies to Gatwick.

SAS and British Airways flies to Heathrow.

I would definitely do it. We are doing something similar in a few weeks. Our cruise leaves from Copenhagen on a Thursday and my work week is Mon-Thurs, and I maximize my travel vacation time, so I knew I would fly out the prior Friday and land in Europe on Saturday, thus having 5 nights pre cruise. But we didn’t want 5 nights in Copenhagen, so we decided on 3 nights in Prague first and then 2 nights in Copenhagen. Was easy to book flights and I’m not stressed about it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums