Tour or DIY in Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn

Swindonpete

All 3 ports have excellent free walking tours. Stockholm also has some good food tours. We did one there last some. Got to see parts of the city we would not have otherwise seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Stockholm we took the free Stockholm City walking tour (http://www.stockholmfreetour.com) and thought it was excellent. The tour ended by the palace making it very easy to then spend the afternoon in old town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, we are on our first Baltic cruise this year and wanted some advice please. Do people think we need a ships tour in Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn or are there “Hop On, Hop Off” buses that stop by the cruise terminals in these places or is it just a short walk to the main town/ attractions? Advice on all or any of these ports above would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We used SPB tours for All the Baltic ports. Except for the Berlin tour, the groups were 12 people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to Stockholm, my home town! It’s a lovely summer city.

NCL usually docks in Nynäshamn (far away) and RCCL in the city.

The public transport is easy to use and probally a better choice then HOHO buses, but that depends on what you want to see!

If you want to use taxi, go with the big companies; taxi stockholm, taxi kurir or sverige taxi, there are a lot of independent cab drivers that are very overpriced, just let me know if you want to see the logos, to avoid copycats.

Ask me anything, I ll do my best to help!

Welcome to Stockholm, my home town! It’s a lovely summer city.

NCL usually docks in Nynäshamn (far away) and RCCL in the city.

The public transport is easy to use and probally a better choice then HOHO buses, but that depends on what you want to see!

If you want to use taxi, go with the big companies; taxi stockholm, taxi kurir or sverige taxi, there are a lot of independent cab drivers that are very overpriced, just let me know if you want to see the logos, to avoid copycats.

Ask me anything, I ll do my best to help!

Thanks for this, we are looking forward to visiting your lovely city. Reliable and fair taxi logos would be great thanks v much.

Thanks for this, we are looking forward to visiting your lovely city. Reliable and fair taxi logos would be great thanks v much.

Okey the one in the top is the best, and so on. I pasted the numbers if you need to call and book a cab

2ce5251bfd4c55774d3ac98fc5f9d508.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Stockholm hop on hop off bus and then hop on hop off boat we’re great. Taking us to sights such as the ABBA museum, the palace and the Vasa museum. tJ travel tour in Tallinn and St Petersburg were worth recommending whilst in Helsinki we did the bus to town then grabbed a ferry over to the fortress as a spur of the moment thing, absolutely loved it.

Stockholm hop on hop off bus and then hop on hop off boat we’re great. Taking us to sights such as the ABBA museum, the palace and the Vasa museum. tJ travel tour in Tallinn and St Petersburg were worth recommending whilst in Helsinki we did the bus to town then grabbed a ferry over to the fortress as a spur of the moment thing, absolutely loved it.

Thanks v much for this reassurance and about the HH and the insight into how you tackled these lovely places. We have a lot of pleasant discussions ahead hear to firm up on what we will do in each place. Certainly take the advice about an organised tour in St P.

Thanks v much.

Hi Linda

Was it some sort of food tour?

Thank you

Jess

Jess no there is an outdoor market at the bottom of the Esplanade (top of the Esplanade was where the ship shuttle dropped us off). There are scads of stalls with goods and food. As you walk around they entice you with a sample of the little fishes, they are like eating potato chips and they have a garlic (if I remember correctly) sauce you can dip them in. The salmon soup we spotted on the board and had to try it. YUMMY, I have since found a recipe for one very similar and make it at home. It is really wonderful and I can't wait to go back to Helsinki to try theirs again. Linda

Stockholm hop on hop off bus and then hop on hop off boat we’re great. Taking us to sights

such as the ABBA museum, the palace and the Vasa museum.

Vasa and Abba museum are very close, about 600m https://kartor.eniro.se/m/VytXN

From the museum it is an even shorter walk to Allmänna gränd where you can catch

either Djurgårdsfärjan or HoHo boats to Gamla Stan. Djurgårdsfärjan is a direct route

between Djurgården and Gamla Stan.

Between Vasa and Abba there is also the new Viking museum. https://kartor.eniro.se/m/BkJad

IMO Stockholm is a city that should be seen/experienced from the water.

Okey the one in the top is the best, and so on. I pasted the numbers if you need to call and book a cab

2ce5251bfd4c55774d3ac98fc5f9d508.jpg

Thank you very much for this. I will be visiting Stockholm for 2 days in June and was wondering how good the public transport is for people in wheelchairs, I am able to get out of the wheelchair and do a few steps?

Thank you very much for this. I will be visiting Stockholm for 2 days in June and was wondering how good the public transport is for people in wheelchairs, I am able to get out of the wheelchair and do a few steps?

All public transport is by law required to be accessible for people with disabilities.

Go here https://sl.se/en/getting-around/ and read the information under "transport accessibility"

Tallinn is definitely the easiest port to walk off the boat and up the hill to the old city, as there are no cars allowed inside the walled touristry area! It really is easily done on your own but a walking tour will give you a lot more history...about Fat Margaret and Tall Herman and the tribute to a peeking Tom!!!

Helsinki is another city easily done by public transit. In 2016 a full day pass was 8 euros [i think I remember this correctly] and INCLUDED the ferry to Sumolinna Island. We did the Rock Church on the green trams that Rick Steves raves about and then headed to Market Square and then out to the fotress complex on Sumolinna. There was freewifi and clean WCs in the City Hall across from Market Square. Did have a problem the first time making the return bus connection to the port from the green tram so had to take a cab.

First time in Stockholm we had a guide who had day passes for us and we followed her around on the trams and ferries but not sure we could have done it on our own, The second time we were out in Frihammen and had OBC so took a ship’s tour to the Vasa, which is not to be missed, but there were public buses at the port that went downtown. We would have been able to do more on our own as the tourbus toured embassy row and downtown but only stopped at the vAsa and City Hall...

All three cities are easily done on your own. Rick Steves book is also available to download if you don’t want to carry it!!!

I was on the getaway last summer NCL and I had tours in all of the cities except St. Petes. I could have done Stockholm and Tallinn on my own, Helsinki I went on a fabulous tour that I would recommend to anyone money well spent. I understand what others are saying about saving money for St. Petersburg, I have a Russian visa so I took the bus (40r from the port to the Hermitage) to get around and used a taxi app, and my Russian sim card. That was my cheap port, but as you can probably figure out I work in Russia, so I was not there on a once in a lifetime trip I could go back.

You can take the subway/underground from/to almost every exit. 60621599e1265200f3ab3a7888b2cee3.jpg

This is how the subways look.

I think you can take the buses too, but I can check it up later if you let me know your route.

I was on the getaway last summer NCL and I had tours in all of the cities except St. Petes. I could have done Stockholm and Tallinn on my own, Helsinki I went on a fabulous tour that I would recommend to anyone money well spent. I understand what others are saying about saving money for St. Petersburg, I have a Russian visa so I took the bus (40r from the port to the Hermitage) to get around and used a taxi app, and my Russian sim card. That was my cheap port, but as you can probably figure out I work in Russia, so I was not there on a once in a lifetime trip I could go back.

Whom was your Helsinki tour with?

Sarar

I visited Stockholm in a wheelchair. We had an overnight there and bought a 24 hour travel pass. We used it on ferries, buses and trams.

All the transport was accessible and the drivers and members of the public very helpful

In the museums you will probably get 'carer goes free' concession which we got in the Vasa museum.

Hop on bus and boat. The palace, ABBA Museum and the Vasa museum. We did this in the 2 days we had, as well as some shopping in the city. Changing if the guard at the palace was good, think it’s at noon but might be best to check that time.

Cheers Bron

I will be in Stockholm for a day and half, what do you recommend? Thank you

Public transport and HoHo boats (for Stadsgården berths). HoHo buses are an expensive and slow way of getting around.

Public transport in Stockholm is very extensive and have much tighter schedules then HoHo buses. It is also much cheaper then HoHo buses,

See my linked threads in my signature for more detailed information about how to get around in Stockholm.

• 6 months later...

We are cruising the Baltic next year and all this has been very helpful in my planning.

Love the idea of using the local transport systems but that means for Stockholm we'll need krona.

Are there ATMs near the cruise terminals? Or should I get krona from home? (I prefer using an ATM.)

We are cruising the Baltic next year and all this has been very helpful in my planning.

Love the idea of using the local transport systems but that means for Stockholm we'll need krona.

Are there ATMs near the cruise terminals? Or should I get krona from home? (I prefer using an ATM.)

Nope, pay for a 24 hour travel card with CC. A 24 hour travel card is 125 SEK (about 14 USD).

Public transport does not (with a few exceptions) accept cash or card payment. Tickets and travel card are bought before hand.

Nope, pay for a 24 hour travel card with CC. A 24 hour travel card is 125 SEK (about 14 USD).

Public transport does not (with a few exceptions) accept cash or card payment. Tickets and travel card are bought before hand.

Thank you. And I have a question. Do you need a chip/pin card? Our US cards have chips but I don't have one with a PIN for use when charging something (only if we want a cash advance on the card).