First Time Cruisers - looking to book Norweigian Ffords on Iona in July 2020, cabin?

Lolaloo

Hi, it's my husband's 50th and we're looking to book the Norwegian Ffords with our 11 year old son on Iona in 2020, because it's a special occasion I'm happy to splash out on a Suite or Min Suite but I'm concerned about motion sickness (all these rooms seem to be high up and front or back of ship) and so would I be better with a mid ship lower deck room? There are some balcony rooms available mid ship on deck nine. Is deck nine a good deck to book, I've looked at the plans but honestly I can't understand them! Many thanks for any advice Lolaloo.

Hi...I have done the Fjords a couple of times and have booked the Iona in September 2020. In July I wouldn't think you will have too much of a problem with " motion". We have been in May & September and the seas were perfectly fine....I suffer from vertigo so I too can have a problem.

You say it is for a special occasion so I would go for a Suite/Mini suite and I would choose a lower deck....say 10 or 11.

The Fjords are calm, its only the north sea on the first night/day where you might get a bit of movement, but Iona is huge so that shouldn't be a problem either.

As for cabin position, as its a new ship no one has been on yet, so my advice would be to pick a cabin near the amenities that you will use most, but as always avoid being under or over a late night venue or noisy area.

I have been looking at the deck plans and a balcony cabin on the promenade deck near one of the infinity pools looks interesting. Not too high a deck if it did get rough but as has already been suggested once in a Fjord the sea is very sheltered. You do not cross the Bay of Biscay to get there either just crossing the North Sea but in a big ship not a much smaller cross-channel ferry.

Regards John

I have been looking at the deck plans and a balcony cabin on the promenade deck near one of the infinity pools looks interesting. Not too high a deck if it did get rough but as has already been suggested once in a Fjord the sea is very sheltered. You do not cross the Bay of Biscay to get there either just crossing the North Sea but in a big ship not a much smaller cross-channel ferry.

Regards John

We have had worse seas going or returning across the North Sea going to Norway and Baltics in the past much worse than the BoB.

If you are concerned about the sea then nearest middle and as low as possible will reduce ships movement, as you have already alluded to. She is a good size ship, and will be stabilised. The North sea off the coast of Norway can be lumpy, however what one person thinks is rough someone else thinks is fine, we always take Stugeron with us, sometimes we use them sometimes not. We will be on this cruise in May as we love the Fjords in summer, plus she is going to 2 of our favourite ports, Geiranger and Olden, enjoy.