Kangaroo boxing?

laurieb

Wasn't it ... at some point in time organised? I have heard about this ... but it's equivalent to rooster &/or dog fighting ... in my own personal feelings/belief.

In probably the 1800s it was done as a sideshow stunt. But ia real fight the human end up badly injured or dead.

In probably the 1800s it was done as a sideshow stunt. But ia real fight the human end up badly injured or dead.

Woody Allen fighting a kangaroo:

Kangaroos don't box, they try to grab their opponent with their forearms so that they can bring down the claw on their hind legs and disembowel them. Needless to say kangaroos that were boxing humans had their claw removed.

Old time kangaroo hunters used to carry a sowing kit with them, so that they could sow up the hunting dogs that got too close to the kangaroo.

Been a lot of tourists attacked at Morrisset hospital grounds lately, they’ve been feeding carrots to Roos and all the sugar gets them hypo, then when the carrots are withheld the Roos get Agro.

There were staged fights between humans and Kangroos years ago in the USA and Europe at a time when side shows were popular and probably Buffalo Bill was around

I made mention of it in the following thread plus put a couple of photos up

Have a look, it's in there somewhere?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362723

Where I live in Canberra, there are about 200 wild Roos at the end of my street. In over 17 years, I have only seen two Alpha males going at it once.

They do indeed "box" but they also kick the day lights out of each other. The battle we watched went for around 15 minutes and the old Alpha staved off the challenge from the young buck. It was very brutal but also not a very common thing to witness.

Cheers

Where I live in Canberra, there are about 200 wild Roos at the end of my street. In over 17 years, I have only seen two Alpha males going at it once.

They do indeed "box" but they also kick the day lights out of each other. The battle we watched went for around 15 minutes and the old Alpha staved off the challenge from the young buck. It was very brutal but also not a very common thing to witness.

Cheers

Have witnessed boxing roos twice. Once two huge western reds in the moonlight just outside Dubbo. The sound of feet, tail, fists is unforgettable. It's a privelege to behold such a thing and most Australians will never see this in the wild.

Have witnessed boxing roos twice. Once two huge western reds in the moonlight just outside Dubbo. The sound of feet, tail, fists is unforgettable. It's a privelege to behold such a thing and most Australians will never see this in the wild.

I witnessed a pair of huge kangaroos boxing once behind the houses whilst holidaying at Woodgate Beach. As you said, it was a privilege to see such an event in the wild. I watched in awe.

And there you go! Four eye witness reports from CC posters. Dare I say, this is a rare group of Australians. For our overseas friends, it really is an unusual experience to witness roos fighting like we've described. You won't see it in a sideshow and you can't phone ahead to order the spectacle. It's animals at their best fighting for territory and the right to lead the mob.

And there you go! Four eye witness reports from CC posters. Dare I say, this is a really rare group of Australians. For our overseas friends, it really is an unusual experience to witness roos fighting like we've described. You won't see it in a sideshow and you can't phone ahead to order the spectacle. It's animals at their best fighting for territory and the right to lead the mob.

Not that rare if you live in as where they are plentiful, Mrs G passes a few hundred every school day, early in the morning when Roos are active, so a few fights is to be expected.

Gee....and I was worried about running into a Cassowary.....didn’t know Roos also had a claw.

Just a further warning - if you see a couple of roos facing up for a boxing match to see their differences, keep your distance, they have a mean left hook!

Cheers

Was that inside Parliament House or outside? lolclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst on my Blue Mountains visit, we were wandering (not off unaccompanied) in an area that was inhabited by kangaroos that absolutely did not care there were a few of us quietly among them. Mums with younger ones - are they still joeys if they are bigger but out of the pouch?

Anyway, obviously it’s a rather hypnotic or transcendent type of experience observing these animals not so familiar in our hemisphere and certainly not being in <<their home>> the forest, I’m visiting from Brooklyn having dwelled in NYC my whole life (our critters are....different) when all of a sudden......

the loudest, most guttural, startling groan pierced the silence and off in a safe distance were two very large kangaroos kicking the stuffing out of each other!!

It was alarming and curious at the same time because now we are actually in a nature show, not watching one on tv. The Roos lean back on their tails to use them for balance and from which to pull back their feet/paws (??) and hurl them onto each other, much like rams thrust their horns into each other in that strong and forceful way.

It was from this point on that I could only imagine this was likely where the term kangaroo boxing had originated. I’m not sure it’s how I’d describe it if I hadn’t ever heard the term because it doesn’t otherwise resemble boxing, nor does it likely have the origins...well...nature gives Roos their purpose for their actions. Was never quite sure what purpose boxing as sport served but anyway.

We remained until the kangaroos settled down a bit which was fine as this was truly fascinating and it was also just really wonderful to observe the other Roos just lounging or hopping and doing Roo things.

So if you hear that piercing groan....it’s on. Otherwise, staged kangaroo boxing just isn’t happening - they seem just way to chill. Also, I think these species of Roos, known to be particularly chill but then again....city person here. In the Blue Mountains, there were cockatoos flying overhead - where I come from, pigeons. So my wildlife chops, well I’m trying now that I have easier access to forests, nature 😉 (But I still have access to the city! :eek:

I didn’t realize the kanga kicking was rare!

What a lovely description Colleen.

Yes, despite the fact some of us here have witnessed the event more than once, it is rare for the average city dwelling Australian to see kangaroos boxing especially the huge western reds. You were very fortunate and it just goes to show what a well travelled and observant group CCers are.