New (cheap) travel insurance plan ?

MrMike45

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. This insurance is cheap and what they cover are things that are least likely to happen to you on a cruise. Being life flighted on a medical emergency can happen but probably less than .005% chance. Like every insurance, they can make money and pay claims with lots of people paying and very few people with claims. $500 for a delay? Really. Who cares if you are delayed.

Absolutely no coverage for the most common reason why trip insurance is needed. Something called LIFE.

What happens if you get sick, a family member dies, your dog needs an immediate operation, weather made you change your plans, something at work came up and you need to postpone your trip, etc. I could go on forever. My next NCL cruise is over 10k. There is no way I am taking a risk that life is going to get in the way. You can get all kinds of additions to your insurance policy. On Miami Beach, insurance companies offer terrorism coverage. Just in case your condo or home is damaged in a terrorist attack. Its a small increase in the premium but where do you stop worrying about things on a cruise.

Everyone is different and has different needs. This policy is a joke IMHO because it does not cover the most likely reasons you cant go on your cruise. Its like having an auto policy that only covers damage to your car in an earthquake. Its possible but would you not want a policy that covers you in case of a car accident or things that are MOST likely to damage your car?

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. This insurance is cheap and what they cover are things that are least likely to happen to you on a cruise. Being life flighted on a medical emergency can happen but probably less than .005% chance. Like every insurance, they can make money and pay claims with lots of people paying and very few people with claims. $500 for a delay? Really. Who cares if you are delayed.

Absolutely no coverage for the most common reason why trip insurance is needed. Something called LIFE.

What happens if you get sick, a family member dies, your dog needs an immediate operation, weather made you change your plans, something at work came up and you need to postpone your trip, etc. I could go on forever.

My next NCL cruise is over 10k. There is no way I am taking a risk that life is going to get in the way.

You can get all kinds of additions to your insurance policy. On Miami Beach, insurance companies offer terrorism coverage. Just in case your condo or home is damaged in a terrorist attack. Its a small increase in the premium but where do you stop worrying about things on a cruise.

Everyone is different and has different needs. This policy is a joke IMHO because it does not cover the most likely reasons you cant go on your cruise. Its like having an auto policy that only covers damage to your car in an earthquake. Its possible but would you not want a policy that covers you in case of a car accident or things that are MOST likely to damage your car?

sure, for a $10k cruise i'd buy trip cancellation insurance as well!

but my cruises are $50/day. (see my sig for 11day for $400!)

i can afford to eat that loss if i couldnt go.

for $21 for $500k evac only insurance (with $750 trip delay) for my upcoming 20day cruise, i think it's worth that small amount of $ for the .05% chance that i'd need to be airlifted.

Can I ask which insurance would be the best that covers sickness, having to be airlifted or something happening to make you cancel your cruise? In other words, I would like one that covers everything! Thanks for any help.

Can I ask which insurance would be the best that covers sickness, having to be airlifted or something happening to make you cancel your cruise? In other words, I would like one that covers everything! Thanks for any help.

"Everything" is pretty broad! :eek:

However, for starters, we'd recommend that you CALL

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

that's how we got started. Don't just read the online summaries (although you could browse there, but don't "only" do that; talk with them).

There will be MANY choices to make, and some will depend upon whether/when you already made a deposit.

They'll try to find the best fit for what your needs are.

GC

sure, for a $10k cruise i'd buy trip cancellation insurance as well!

but my cruises are $50/day. (see my sig for 11day for $400!)

i can afford to eat that loss if i couldnt go.

for $21 for $500k evac only insurance (with $750 trip delay) for my upcoming 20day cruise, i think it's worth that small amount of $ for the .05% chance that i'd need to be airlifted.

Our credit card carries the cancellation insurance already - at $3k per person who booked the trip on the card. So for our family of 4, that would cover up to a $12K cruise, which was a lot more than we spent.

What I want to know is how you're cruising for 11 days for $400!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand why people are so worried about the cancellation and interruptions part of the travel insurance. The worst that will happen is that you don't go the cruise and you lose the money. Don't get me wrong, you should have insurance that covers the cost of the cruise and some sort of trip interruption. Losing the cost of the cruse is just losing money you've already spent.

What is going make an impact into the family fortune are the medical and repatriation. These costs can hit six figures depending on what your condition is and where you need to be evacuated from. I became severely ill in Mexico and the wonderful doctors made it even worse. I had a five day hospital bill of $28,000 and repatriation of $40,000. Luckily, I didn't need a private plane or it would have been close to $100,000. My Allianz policy covered everything.

Foreign hospitals charge you full price and most do not negotiate so you better have travel insurance.

I've said for years that anyone traveling outside of the country is a fool for not having travel insurance with at least $100,000 in medical and repatriation and I stand by that.

BTW: Most credit card travel insurance, including Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and Amex Platinum do not cover pre-existing conditions. I have Chase Preferred and Amex Platinum and just today when I called Chase for another issue, they went over the benefits of Reserve and it doesn't cover pre-existing.

Take care,

Mike

If you truly received repatriation, you would not be here to tell us about it.

What kind of health insurance does everyone have? I specifically checked with our HR department (I work for a large county government in the US) and specifically asked the question of, does my health insurance cover me if I get sick on a cruise, and was told yes (on a reimbursement basis obviously). I was even given the specific example of an employee (no names provided) who got the bends scuba diving near South America. He was airlifted back to the US for treatment, and the insurance paid everything , including the air ambulance charges) after much negotiation between the vendor and insurance company.

Go back to HR and make them check what happens if you get sick "on the high seas". The employee getting the bends was in a covered country when the problem happened. It is common for the few regular medical insurance policies that cover you "in other countries" to exclude any claim that happens "on the high seas" and out of the jurisdiction of any of their partner countries.

Go back to HR and make them check what happens if you get sick "on the high seas". The employee getting the bends was in a covered country when the problem happened. It is common for the few regular medical insurance policies that cover you "in other countries" to exclude any claim that happens "on the high seas" and out of the jurisdiction of any of their partner countries.

Wouldn't you be under the jurisdiction of the flag the ship is sailing under, i.e. the Bahamas?

I was checking in this week for a cruise Nov 4th. It came up as an option at that time. Atleast thinking it was a scam was not a factor. I felt like for $25 each on a 13 day cruise, it is worth it. Will it cover everything, no. But it was more than I had to begin with. I basically self cover thru my credit cards.

If you are in VA or another great Govt Medical unit you don't need it as VA will take care of expenses. Look at your Visa card and see what they cover. Mine covers a lot. If you have to be Medivac'd from a foreign countyr to US it may run $100,000.

Does your VISA card cover any medical (or cancellation/interruption) costs due to pre-existing conditions?

If so, what kind of VISA card it is?

Thanks.

GC

Our credit card carries the cancellation insurance already - at $3k per person who booked the trip on the card. So for our family of 4, that would cover up to a $12K cruise, which was a lot more than we spent.

What I want to know is how you're cruising for 11 days for $400!!!!

I was just going to post about this! Not saying to NOT get travel insurance, but your credit card company probably has a lot of benefits you don't even know about! In fact, I found out like a month ago mine offers free reimbursement for TSA precheck and offers a lot of travel insurance because it's a business credit card. Like someone else said, it's all about being informed.