Question re: Thanking crew

deck5

We sent some thank you notes to a handful of the crew a few weeks after we left the Seabourn Pride in November (to the Blue Lagoon address). What are the odds that the notes actually made it to the people they were intended to? And is that an OK/acceptable thing to do, as we didn't get the opportunity to thank them in person on our last day. Would have sent an email to each one, but we doubted there was access, and that it was less personal... Also, is there a tipping "rule" for Seabourn? We couldn't seem to get a straight answer when we were on the ship in regards to tips.

As to the "thank you notes"......I don't know if the Blue Lagoon Office will actually send them to the ship. Hopefully the crew will receive them. What a sweet and thoughtful gesture. You can still e-mail the Hotel Manager and he will post it on the Crew bullentin board in the crew mess hall.

I always give my sweet housekeeper a "love envelope"......then most of us leave money for a "crew party"......the Pusers list the names of the Guests that made contributions to the fund. Last week a group of us left all of our on board credit for the crew to have a "Three King's Day" party......we left a substanial amount (we had our $500 Referral money left) and they will be able to have a BIG dinner and party. Sometimes I take the crew (favorites) International phone cards. They love these as they run for the phone booths while in port to call "Mama" at home! (can be bought at Wal-Mart)

Happy Trails and Sails!

MB

Thanks so much for the response. I do hope the Thank you's make it to the individuals they were intended for (and not just posted to a board). Great to know about the phone cards and credit gifts. I had no idea we could do that. I will remember that great info for next time for sure! (I'm gearing up to plan our next cruise witht Seabourn already.) The experience was incomparable to anything we've ever done before!

Miss Martha,

We do the same with the shipboard credit. It only makes sense otherwise it just disappears and the hard working crew gets nothing. I feel it is much more appreciated by the crew than it is by Blue Lagoon Drive. (They have already accounted for it as a business expense and after all the are getting the new bookings from those people we refer).

I know they were very appreciative and I feel good that I can help them have a good time when they work so hard to make our experience an amazing one.

mcboo:):)

mcboo~~~I have always just given money to the crew fund, but this time we thought with all ($700) our left over "Referral" Coupon monies, we would have a fun Jan 6th party for them. I think the Europeans celebrate "Three Kings Day" more than we Americans......I was told before disembarking that this would be more than enough for them to "dine fine!" They ALL work soooo very hard and they deserve a big dinner/party!

Hopefully we'll hear all about the party and what "goodies" they enjoyed.

MB

As to the "thank you notes"......I don't know if the Blue Lagoon Office will actually send them to the ship. Hopefully the crew will receive them. What a sweet and thoughtful gesture. You can still e-mail the Hotel Manager and he will post it on the Crew bullentin board in the crew mess hall.

I always give my sweet housekeeper a "love envelope"......then most of us leave money for a "crew party"......the Pusers list the names of the Guests that made contributions to the fund. Last week a group of us left all of our on board credit for the crew to have a "Three King's Day" party......we left a substanial amount (we had our $500 Referral money left) and they will be able to have a BIG dinner and party. Sometimes I take the crew (favorites) International phone cards. They love these as they run for the phone booths while in port to call "Mama" at home! (can be bought at Wal-Mart)

Happy Trails and Sails!

MB

Yeah, emails are the best way. Post sent to the ships never get to the crew. I am still waiting for a package sent to me to be delivered in NYC in August although the crew purser did give out the wrong address for the port agent to the crew over a year after she was given the new one which didn't help. Doubt I'll ever see that again. Miami office are just as useless at forwarding mail and we are told never to have mail sent there as it will probably not reach the ship.

As for the phone cards, not such a good idea any more. They've installed cheap phone calls for crew from on board ship. Is better to leave money for crew welfare which gets used not only for parties but crew excursions, Cabin TV/VCR/DVD for the crew, crew movie library etc.

Phil

Howdy "Heads"~~~~

Yes, I know that the crew bullentin board serves many useful purposes.....actually it's a great resolve. Tori uses it in many ways. I think the Crew Purser is in charge of it.

As to mail getting to the ship, I think the best way is to address your mail to the "Port Agent" I have received packages while on board, all addressed to him. (whichever Port)

Feliz Nuevo Ano......

MB

As to mail getting to the ship, I think the best way is to address your mail to the "Port Agent" I have received packages while on board, all addressed to him. (whichever Port)

That's all very well if you have the correct address for the port agent. I was given one by the crew purser that was more than a year out of date, even though she'd been told the port agent had moved. Seabourn refuse to take responsibility for the error so now I have to take them to small claims court to get the value of the package back.

Phil

We still give the individuals that do the most for us cold hard cash...that way THEY can decide what to do with it. Last time we gave Lucca 14 envelopes to distribute and we got individual thankyous imediately...very much apprecitated. We love these young people..!

Cash is very importand to a lot of the staff as it is the only way they can top up their wages, especially with the dollar being so low these days. Seabourn pay pretty well as a cruise line but they pay in dollars so it has been reduced to peanuts. Giving that way rewards individual service but remember there are a lot of crew who work damn hard and that you never see and who never get any tips so that's why crew welfare is a good idea.

Phil

You know, I really don't think the dollar is doing that bad...... :o

My wages were worth 30% less when I left Seabourn as when I joined. The pound is worth 2 dollars, the lowest the dollar has been since I was a kid.

Only advantage is when we visit the US then us brits have more money to spend.

Phil

i believe they will get them - but in the future, best to give the rave reviews in your comments as i knose those are read - we ahve sailed seabourne a few times and see some of the same staff and crew and officers and they tell us that they are told of favorable reviews -as for no tipping, we always give $$ to the community fund and to the cabin stewards too.

La Paloma,

I have been doubling the US$$ because of the exchange rate. I can get British Pounds in London before my next crossing. I should think the international calling cards could also still be used when the crew are on holidays, etc.

Jane in PHL

Archived