"I Can Make You Thin" on TLC

Chigirlcruzin

So he presented 4 "Golden Rules" of weight loss.

1. When you're hungry, eat. Keep your metabolism going.

2. Eat what you want and not what you think you should. Don't make any foods forbidden, but don't eat to excess.

3. Whenever you eat anything, eat it consciously. Don't multitask, slow down, put down the fork and knife between bites.

4. When you think you're full, stop eating.

Kind of what I thought it might be. Seems pretty basic.

I too thought it seemed pretty "basic." All things we've heard before.

I AM looking forward to the upcoming weeks though, and interested in what has has to say about emotional eating, and how to control that. And also how to LOVE exercise!! :) I'll be watching...

I AM looking forward to the upcoming weeks though, and interested in what has has to say about emotional eating, and how to control that. And also how to LOVE exercise!! :) I'll be watching...

I missed seeing it last night. I totally forgot! :rolleyes: I want to see the episodes on emotional eating and loving exercise also. I do like to exercise just because it makes me feel good afterwards. I hate it while I'm actually doing it though. ;)

Funny things is it seems we all know that, but "really" paying attention to how fast you eat is really a shocker.. I didn't think I was a fast eater but since last night I have paid attention to how fast I eat.. And I still eat FAST.... LOL

About fast eating...

As I was holding my cereal bowl in my hand and spooning the cereal in my mouth, I had to stop and laugh! We DO eat TOO fast! And... it was as I was sitting here at the computer! Didn't even realize I had eaten 1/2 the bowl! I have to STOP that! Our lives have just become too hectic. We don't slow down for anything! :rolleyes:

Jean

Tis true! Would love to see research about famlies who sit together at the table and actually eat their meals together..if there's any correlation between that and weight loss.

Chi: all the stuff we already knew! No surprises, eh?

About fast eating...

As I was holding my cereal bowl in my hand and spooning the cereal in my mouth, I had to stop and laugh! We DO eat TOO fast! And... it was as I was sitting here at the computer! Didn't even realize I had eaten 1/2 the bowl! I have to STOP that! Our lives have just become too hectic. We don't slow down for anything! :rolleyes:

Jean

Tis true! Would love to see research about famlies who sit together at the table and actually eat their meals together..if there's any correlation between that and weight loss.

I don't think that slows anyone down much, at least in the average family evening these days. Now a big family Sunday dinner...perhaps that is a "slower" meal. But time doesn't have much to do with it for me anyway...I determine the quantity I will be eating before I ever start. Of course it's different for me too...just me and my son...the days of sitting down to "endless" quantities of food each night...that is only a vague childhood memory, and just never happens in my house. :o

Was referring more to the aspect of 'slowing down to take time to eat and interact" , not so much how much food is eaten. What I meant was I am wondering if there is a correlation between people who slow down their schedules and sit at the table together..do they eat less because they are interacting with each other and less with their food...regardless of what food is prepared or how much. They do say that if you slow down your pace of eating a meal that you feel fuller with less food. Have found this to be true in my life anyway.

I don't think that slows anyone down much, at least in the average family evening these days. Now a big family Sunday dinner...perhaps that is a "slower" meal. But time doesn't have much to do with it for me anyway...I determine the quantity I will be eating before I ever start. Of course it's different for me too...just me and my son...the days of sitting down to "endless" quantities of food each night...that is only a vague childhood memory, and just never happens in my house. :o

Was referring more to the aspect of 'slowing down to take time to eat and interact" ...They do say that if you slow down your pace of eating a meal that you feel fuller with less food. Have found this to be true in my life anyway.

Yes - I understood. Guess what I was trying to say is that I don't think the interacting makes any difference, for most families at home today, in the amount of food they consume. Dinners are rushed...too much to do between homework and bedtimes and most importantly - afterschool activities and TV. Today this plays such a huge part in family life - and it is much of the reason (okay I'm just pondering here really...from what I've seen of my own friends and how their evenings go) why mealtimes are what they are.

While I don't think the "talk more eat less" will play out at home...I definitely think it works in a restaurant. You have an certain amount of food in front of you, and a relaxed-but-not-endless amount of time to eat it. So...talk more, eat less...defintely. :)

I saw this show and laughed!

I am not overweight per se, but I have put on about 10 lbs. over the past 3 years or so that I would like to lose. I am 32, and haven't changed my eating or exercise habits, but age catches up with evereryone at some point (ahh, the jiggle!). So for the past 2 weeks, I have been drinking slimfast for breakfast, eating a "lean gourmet" frozen meal for lunch/dinner when I am at work (7 grams fat or less), have cut my coca-cola intake to 1 per day (oh, how I miss it!), cut out my skim-no-whip-raspberry-mocha, and increased my water intake. Also, where I normally eat any and every fatty, delicious snack I want, any time I crave it, I have limited myself to healthier ones: ie: Dry special K cereal (I actually like it) or protein bars, flavored mini rice cakes, a lite laughing cow cheese triangle on a few crackers, veggies w/ fat free dressing. I'm not hungry at all, I am just bored!!!!!! And I haven't lost an ounce!

SOOOOO.... I used to follow the "Golden rules," I am a notoriously slow eater, and I refuse to eat food I don't like. I stop when I'm full and pack up leftovers for lunch the next day. And I gained. And now that I am on the dreaded "diet," I am stuck. I'll keep watching the show, but I don't know how much I believe in this so far....

I saw this show and laughed!

I am not overweight per se, but I have put on about 10 lbs. over the past 3 years or so that I would like to lose. I am 32, and haven't changed my eating or exercise habits, but age catches up with evereryone at some point (ahh, the jiggle!). So for the past 2 weeks, I have been drinking slimfast for breakfast, eating a "lean gourmet" frozen meal for lunch/dinner when I am at work (7 grams fat or less), have cut my coca-cola intake to 1 per day (oh, how I miss it!), cut out my skim-no-whip-raspberry-mocha, and increased my water intake. Also, where I normally eat any and every fatty, delicious snack I want, any time I crave it, I have limited myself to healthier ones: ie: Dry special K cereal (I actually like it) or protein bars, flavored mini rice cakes, a lite laughing cow cheese triangle on a few crackers, veggies w/ fat free dressing. I'm not hungry at all, I am just bored!!!!!! And I haven't lost an ounce!

SOOOOO.... I used to follow the "Golden rules," I am a notoriously slow eater, and I refuse to eat food I don't like. I stop when I'm full and pack up leftovers for lunch the next day. And I gained. And now that I am on the dreaded "diet," I am stuck. I'll keep watching the show, but I don't know how much I believe in this so far....

I've not watched the show, but if you have made a definite change in your caloric intake, I would have expected to see at least a minor change in 2 weeks. You might try tracking what you eat...that is the number one recommended "thing that works" for people. Eating healthier foods won't do anything for the waistline if you aren't consuming less calories (not saying that is the case, but many people do make that mistake..so just a thought!) :o

Maybe I will track what I eat. Anything that works, right? Although, I would imagine that Special K and Slimfast have less calories and fat than half a pint of Ben and Jerry's and and #1 at Chick Fil A. I do really need to start exercising more, but after 9 hours on my feet (in heels!) at work, the last thing I want to do is work out. I know I will be more active when the weather is better; I can't wait to take my dog on long walks and get back in the lake (I am a novice wakeboarder, but I'm trying)!

It's sad, but I honestly can't remember when the last time our whole family actually sat around the table to eat a meal together. With our schedules, it's impossible. Only on holidays do we actually eat a "normal" family dinner. My kids are 18 and 22, and never home. When they were "little," we always ate together. Did we eat less? I doubt it!

Previous poster mentioned cutting out things and missing them... That is what sets us up for a binge. It's better, in my opinion, to have a small portion of what it is that you are craving. Otherwise you'll over-do it later.

I know age plays a role in how quickly we lose. I used to lose very fast. It takes longer, and more exercise these days, now that I'm 40 something.

Hi Everyone! I have seen the show previews on tlc, but haven;t sat and watched an episode. I agree with you Jean, in regards to families sitting down together. In our household, my hubbie is self employed in logging, works very long hours and I never have a clue when he's getting home, usually left overs go in the fridge, the kids are very picky, so I usually make them something simple that they'll eat. I have a very bad habit of letting them eat in the living room while they watch a show, and someitmes , I end up eating at the computer. We have a busy hockey schedule that of course is always during dinner hours, 4:30 to 6:30 (between those times). I can;t remember the last time the four of us sat down to dinner together, except if we're dining out!!

I am going to try and set Saturday night as our time for dinner together, even if we get pizza delivered.

As for how long it takes us to eat our food, I hadn't thought of that, I will have to try it and see!!

Hope you don;t mind me joining in, have a great night everyone!

Kathy

It's sad, but I honestly can't remember when the last time our whole family actually sat around the table to eat a meal together. With our schedules, it's impossible. Only on holidays do we actually eat a "normal" family dinner. My kids are 18 and 22, and never home. When they were "little," we always ate together. Did we eat less? I doubt it!

Previous poster mentioned cutting out things and missing them... That is what sets us up for a binge. It's better, in my opinion, to have a small portion of what it is that you are craving. Otherwise you'll over-do it later.

I know age plays a role in how quickly we lose. I used to lose very fast. It takes longer, and more exercise these days, now that I'm 40 something.

Jean, I totally agree with everything you said. We hardly ever get to eat a meal as a family. We do try to do it as often as we can though. I've learned to eat more slowly and control my portions. If I'm craving something, I do have it, but just not a lot of it. Makes a big difference. ;)

I'm looking forward to the show on Sunday night.

Hello All~:)

I just watched this last night and so far it rings true for me. I am a thin person and have evidently always followed the 4 Golden Rules. The 4th rule resonates especially; stop when you're full. For as long as I can remember, I have had what I call "the wall", the signal that I am full. I have frequently left food on my plate, now I just put less on my plate to begin with.

I am always interested in different ways of approaching challenges and wanted to see what you thought about it. Looking forward to the next installments - the how to love exercise, specifically.

Good luck to each of you in your healthy life choices.:)

So tonight he tackles emotional eating. Fortunately, I don't have issues with this. Food is actually not my issue...I've run into problems with weight gain when I can't work out for long periods of time (illness/injury, extended work project with LONG hours).

We were talking about this at brunch this morning. My brother-in-law said "This guy gets a TV show for telling us that?"

Chigirlcruzin

We were talking about this at brunch this morning. My brother-in-law said "This guy gets a TV show for telling us that?"

Ya, because being over weight is a problem. Over the last 20 years more and more people are becoming "obeased". So I guess there is a need for a program like this..

I'm starting to eat slower but today kind of fell off the wagon.. So need to get back on it. I have notice I do eat much less then I had before. My problem has been when eating out. I'm still working on that part. I'm coming to the conclusion I will not do take home any more and try to pick the smallest meal or split meals when I can.

The "4 Rules" are nothing new, but I guess it's a good reminder. We don't have to starve and depive ourselves to lose weight and be healthy.

I found last night's episode with the tapping technique interesting. Not quite sure what to make of that. I'm not all that in to alternative medicine, but I figure I'll have an open mind and give it a try. I AM an emotional eater.

I too am looking forward to the show about how he's going to teach us to love exercise! I know people who DO love it. It becomes their feel good "drug." Much better than turning to food to make you feel better. That always back-fires!

Like the show said... It's for "entertainment purposes."

I'm sure I can get some helpful tips or reminders from it anyhow.

Archived