More first timer questions

greatam

Are all suites the same size? On the Seabourn website, it states 277 square foot. The pictures are pretty impressive, with the floor to ceiling windows. Is that correct, or is it more a picture window? What is the difference in A, A1, etc? Obviously, the balconies and owner's suites are more expensive. But I can't figure out the other pricing. It is probably location, but I am not sure.

We are currently booked on Princess, 16 day Bangkok to Beijing. We are spending 17 days in China pre-cruise, mostly in the country, not in Beijing. I just got an email, offering what I thought was a great price on the March 27, Hong Kong to Singapore Seabourn cruise. Double what we are paying for Princess aft balcony, BUT. When I add in drinks, gratuities, logistics, extra air fare, etc., I am within a thousand dollars. I just don't want to be stuck in the worst cabin on the ship, behind the life boats or some other such place.

And oh, I forgot the ambiance of Seabourn. My husband was so disgusted with passenger dress and behavior on our one and only Princess cruise, he said NO MORE PRINCESS. He relented somewhat, because we both want to go to Vietnam and they seemed to be the only line doing a wide sweep through Asia.

I am making a list of pro's and con's. Itinerary on Seabourn is more to my liking-more time in Vietnam. But Princess goes to Japan and South Korea. We have to fly from Bejing to Bangkok to embark on Princess, we only have to make our way from Beijing to Hong Kong to embark on Seabourn, which solves our excess luggage problem. But we have to fly from Singapore to Beijing to fly home, so we may run into the luggage problem again. Anyone know if Singapore to Beijing flights use the international weight limits for luggage?

I really would like to sample Seabourn. But I am the budget master (miser) in the family. Convince me I should spend the extra money. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

For some reason there seems to be a lot of past Princess Cruise line passengers wanting to move up and asking for info on this board. As on another thread, you are comparing apples to oranges comparing Seabourn to Princess, but, let's give it a try.

First, every cabin on Seabourn is a SUITE. 277 sq. feet with a living room area (can be separated by a curtain) which also doubles as a dining area where you can be served dinner course by course, with all the wines, of course. There are no difference at all in the A's and B's except the B's have French Balconies. (Those are what you refer to when you say, "floor to ceiling windows") The A's have huge picture windows. There are 6 owners suites also that are huge.

Service, service, service, thats what you get on Seabourn. You will not believe it. You'll be addressed as Mr. & Mrs. (add last name) by everybody. They know what you want and when you want it before you even know.

All alchol is included, when and where and whatever the time is that you want it. Don't get me started on the caviar....I happen to love it and its there, whenever ((at Sky Bar, in your Suite, at dinner, whenever)

Small ship-104 suites vs Princess with probably 1000 cabins. Amazing, personalized staff.

A free shore excursion. Free massages on deck. Great passengers. I have never met so many nice people as on a Seabourn Cruise. Affluent, yet not stuffy. Very well dressed without being flashy, or over the top. Just a great group of people.

Dining when where and with whom you choose is also the best. I love the Verandah and try to dine up there at least half the time.

Check the other threads and you'll see what I mean. Miss Martha, now Miss Martita, is a HUGE fan of Seabourn. DO a search of her threads and you'll see why, Once Seabourn, Always Seabourn.

Bon voyage

Hello, My partner and I did something like what you are looking to do. I would not go on Princess but something more upscale. I have traveled on "only the best". You need to find something not stuff but yet deluxe . Why dont you send me a note at staceysell@aol.com and we can discuss it. This is to big of a trip not to do it right.

Cruisr,

I have to agree with everything you have said.

I personally enjoy the Veranda as well as the Restaurant. But in-suite dining course by couse is truly a favorite. Also no nickle and dimeing, signing for every liitle thing you order from a cocktail to a bottle of water is so not me. (This is were Princess and other mass market cruises lag). Once you have experienced Seabourn there is know turning back. As you said just ask Martha B. or Martita (can't get used to here new name yet). She is one of the Grand Dames of Seabourn and has a tiara to show fot it. (LOL)

Don't forget the Moulton-Brown baths in those wonderful tubs (stewardess draws bath for you).

Champagne wish to all.:):):)

mcboo

• 1 month later...

Dear Greatam:

There are some pluses to the big ship, but if the lack of dress, etc that pervades the big ships bothers you, then quickly opt for Seabourn. They make life so much nicer. It is wonderful to not even think about tips, what to eat, drink, etc. And, we did the referral and barely spent out $500 on top of it. If you are leaning towards Seabourn, get your money back from Pricess and do it.

cruisegary@krksmc.om

• 3 weeks later...

Caviar and all alcohol?

Is it only rail liquor or anything you desire?

After we pay the fare and taxes the only thing not included is spa treatments?

Please advise....I am holding off on booking until I hear from all of you.

We are interested in going on a 3 day cruise to nowhere from NYC.

Archived