New to American Cruise Lines - help requested

ricruise

Hi,

My husband and I (mid 60s) are experienced ocean cruisers but have booked our first river cruise for next spring on the Constitution. I am hoping that those of you with more experience can answer some of the questions we have. Some may be very basic but I am having difficulty in finding answers.

First we are booked on the Revolution cruise out of Baltimore. The website lists excursions for each stop but not with details such as cost and time. When and / or how do I get more information on the excursions so that I can start to plan for each port?

Second, I have read that the average age is usually an older crowd, does that mean similar to us or even older? Patience is not my husbands greatest characteristic so I want to prepare him for a slow pace.

and lastly, with much fewer passengers than on our previous cruises do you rate the 1:1 service that much better than the ocean cruise lines?

If anyone has any pictures of the Constitution I would also love to see her details.

Thanks

Donna

You probably won't find out much more about excursions until you are onboard. That's just the way they do it. Very different than the big ocean cruise lines.

Mid-60s will probably be on the younger side, but not by too much.

All of the service staff are from the USA and tend to be younger. Many are students in hospitality college programs and deck crew tend to be in marine training programs. They try hard, but sometimes don't have the training and experience that you may be used to.

Going on Queen of Mississippi in November and that deck plan shows a Guest Laundry room, but the deck plan for Constellation does NOT show a laundry room.

I don't think any ACL offers onboard laundry service, however there are a few posts that say on longer cruises, they will arrange to have your laundry done at a shore side laundry service.

Going on Queen of Mississippi in November and that deck plan shows a Guest Laundry room, but the deck plan for Constellation does NOT show a laundry room.

I don't think any ACL offers onboard laundry service, however there are a few posts that say on longer cruises, they will arrange to have your laundry done at a shore side laundry service.

The OP is sailing on the Constitution I believe; however the Constellation does have two self service washers and dryers on deck 5. Detergent and dryer sheets are furnished.

Mike:)

Thanks for the information. Thought of one additional question - is there a self laundry area on the ship? or do they offer laundry services?

The Constitution also has a self service laundry on deck 5 across from the fitness center.

Thanks Mike for the confirmation. I couldn't find anything on the deck plans I saw on the website.

Have you been on the Constitution?

The laundry rooms do not show on the deck plans but are on deck 5 next to the fitness center. They are also listed in the amenities for each ship which feature them.

No I have not sailed on the Constitution but I have sailed on the sister ship the Constellation.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information on the laundry service. If you could provide a review of the Constitution and your impressions I would find that very helpful. This will be our first time on a river cruise and any and all information and tips would be very appreciated.

I think the "guest laundry" question has been settled; I just came back from the Constitution and there was a laundry; I think the Constellation is the sister ship. One tip - set your cell phone alarm for the timing on your loads so you don't inconvenience other passengers especially toward the middle of the trip! Only two of each machine. Another tip I always mention to travelers new to ACL is to pack extra wire hangers - there are never enough hangers in the closet! Plenty of dresser drawers but I hang all of my clothes even t-shirts. I am traveling on the American Star in Chesapeake Bay in May/June 2019. We prefer the even smaller ships! I liked the Constitution but it was crowded in the dining room, and they had to do cocktail service in both big lounges to accommodate everyone. You will hear a "shore excursion" talk the first afternoon on board then you can sign up for tours. Most are very modest in price. Some of the tours in New England in September were too full to accommodate everyone; another price to pay for ACL's newer larger ships. Still, I just finished my 13th cruise and signed up for the 14th so they must be doing something right! Happy travel and let me know if you have other specific questions I might be able to answer. I have done nearly all of ACL's itineraries; some more than once.

Thanks Lynnmarv1.

Would you have any photos of the ship?

We are going on the Revolution cruise out of Baltimore. Mainly because my husband loves history. Have you done this cruise? I am a little worried that I will be bored. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks Lynnmarv1.

Would you have any photos of the ship?

We are going on the Revolution cruise out of Baltimore. Mainly because my husband loves history. Have you done this cruise? I am a little worried that I will be bored. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi RI Cruiser,

I have only done the Chesapeake Bay cruise, not the Revolution one specifically. I am hardly ever bored but I do carry a tablet with me and read e-books if I have time. The wi-fi in September on the Constitution was fairly good most days. I have photos and will try to upload a few to my actual review of the September Grand New England cruise but so far I am having a little trouble with this website and my photos!

• 2 weeks later...

Op had questions about excursions and planning.  I am by no means an expert, but I can say how it worked on our one cruise. On our Columbia River Cruise, there were morning and afternoon excursions, allowing us to eat lunch on board.  There were sometimes different options, sometimes not.  Most excursions were included in the fare, a few had a moderate charge.   You sign up on board, no pre-planning needed.