Anyone here going on the 18 Feb 2019 Finnmarken trip out of Bergen?

Pressignoise

My travel partner may have to cancel on me, which is a bit of a hit financially for one thing, and for another I am SO looking forward to this trip, I think I'm just going to go on my own anyhow. I am slightly daunted. Your thoughts, fellow travelers, are welcome. Be nice.

My travel partner may have to cancel on me, which is a bit of a hit financially for one thing, and for another I am SO looking forward to this trip, I think I'm just going to go on my own anyhow. I am slightly daunted. Your thoughts, fellow travelers, are welcome. Be nice.

I travel solo. In fact at this time I am on a solo trip. I am in Helsinki Finland and I am learning a lot. Next week I will be in Bergen, Norway about to board the Hurtigruten ship the Trollfjord and I am so looking forward to it. Before I left for my trip which also included a stop in Billund, Denmark, I was overwhelmed with feelings of anxiety, excitement and anticipation. Once I was actually traveling I was able to calm down and enjoy the people around me and where I was. Other people will speak with you and you can decide what you would like to do and what you don’t want to do. Just speak up for yourself, research what you can and allow yourself to become lost in the place you are. I got lost today on the streets of Helsinki, and I learned the pace of the city. Yes, I had a map and eventually got back to the hotel and I enjoyed every moment.

Thanks so much for your response, Elka, and your comments are helpful. I've done a lot of travel by myself (husband died 6 years ago) but this will be the first time I'll be on a ship on my own. I'm wondering just how awkward mealtimes will be, how insular fellow travelers are likely to be. Usually I can cajole one of my friends into traveling with me, but this time nobody wants to be in the cold dark North for two weeks, aurora borealis or not. I've been to Iceland several times in winter, and loved every minute.

I guess there's no way to really know whether there will be other simpatico singletons or not, so my fingers are crossed that a sufficient number of the passengers will be in a cheerful friendly mood.

Thanks so much for your response, Elka, and your comments are helpful. I've done a lot of travel by myself (husband died 6 years ago) but this will be the first time I'll be on a ship on my own. I'm wondering just how awkward mealtimes will be, how insular fellow travelers are likely to be. Usually I can cajole one of my friends into traveling with me, but this time nobody wants to be in the cold dark North for two weeks, aurora borealis or not. I've been to Iceland several times in winter, and loved every minute.

I guess there's no way to really know whether there will be other simpatico singletons or not, so my fingers are crossed that a sufficient number of the passengers will be in a cheerful friendly mood.

Now, obviously, I don't know this for a certainty, but I would bet you a crisp, new $50 bill that you will be welcome by almost one and all...on deck, in the dining room, in the lounge, on excursions...everywhere. You'll be "adopted" by more people than you may be comfortable with!

Bon Voyage!

I find people are more insular on land than on a ship. On a ship or tour group you become a fellow traveler. People are curious about others. Anyway, you have the option of talking and participating as much or as little as you are comfortable with. I usually cruise solo on Disney and I am always surprised with who I meet. I am willing to branch out to other lines and meet different people.

Now, obviously, I don't know this for a certainty, but I would bet you a crisp, new $50 bill that you will be welcome by almost one and all...on deck, in the dining room, in the lounge, on excursions...everywhere. You'll be "adopted" by more people than you may be comfortable with!

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for your encouragement Hunding, very kind. I admit that I looked at your profile...I grew up in the San Fernando Valley so how's that for serendipity.

I was solo on the Trollfjord when I went on the 11 days coastal cruise in 2015. I was very comfortable, and made feel welcome by the crew. I didn't hesitate to join others with an empty seat at their table for breakfast or lunch, and always was welcome. Met people from Norway, Sweden, the UK, Australia, the USA and Canada. Spent a lot of time with a woman from Trondheim who was traveling on business to Bodo and then staying on to Kirkenes for a bit of a vacation, and we are still e-mail and FB friends. I also spoke to people in the observation lounge and had some delightful conversations there, some until the early hours of the morning.

As far as dinner, going north I was assigned to a table with a couple from Canada and her sister, plus a couple from the USA. We hit it off and had a great time talking over dinner. Unfortunately they all left the ship at Kirkenes. I was then assigned to a table with 2 couples from Germany who were VERY unfriendly, and would not even respond to my attempts to strike up a conversation. I went to the maître d after the first night and asked to be moved, and they moved me to a table with a couple from Australia, and we had a very nice trip the rest of the way back to Bergen.

I did take few ship's excursions, and in some ports I walked around by myself to see the sights. I never felt lonely or isolated.