Excursion Details on Viking Tulips and Windmills Cruises

MSTraveler360

I agree 2 hours is plenty of time. As I recall it was a self guided tour at least by the clock, which I never did get the hang of, but watching the trams filled with flowers is mesmerizing! And you don't have to walk around if you don't care to...the scene below you is constantly changing. It's hard to describe but it is unforgettable..

When we walked in the trams weren't really running very much, but then as we started walking back toward the entrance it got CRAZY on the warehouse floor!

Oh, thanks for the confirmations. My walker has a seat so, if I come across the "logistical ballet", I should be able to take a seat for a bit and just watch the action!

You shouldn't have any trouble at the auction with finding a place to open your seat, although I don't recall how we got to the second level, maybe Fuel Science can help with that....I know once you get up there, there should be plenty of room for you to open the seat and watch the action.

I would suggest that you google Aalsmeer and make sure you don't need to purchase tickets ahead of time. They will also be able to give you a lot of info as to hours and days that they're open as well as the best way to get there. I use a can with a seat on it because I have trouble walking and standing and sometimes the guides tend to give more lecture than information, not that I mind, it's just that I have got to sit down!

Yes, I'll get my ticket ahead of time. I'll just have to figure out when (before or after my cruise) and from where (Amsterdam or a nearby rental). I'm anguishing over that part.

I use a rolling walker for sightseeing (same needs that you have) so I'm glad the web site says they have an elevator.

Did you go to the Historical Gardens or take the Westeinder Rondvaart boat tour when you were there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a boat tour, but I have no idea which one since it was arranged by Vantage and we just showed up and got on the boat they told us to!! It was lovely in spite of the rain...and we sat at tables for 4 and they served us wine!! As for gardens we went to Keukenhof of course, and our host on the visit to a local tulip farm took us to a local tulip celebration that was absolutely marvelous, but again, I have no idea where it was because he just yelled for the bus to STOP and then told us all to get off and spend 20 minutes!

So true. Organized tours are marvelous for packing quite a few sights into a limited amount of time. They're a little bit like a tasting tea-you get to sample quite a bit, but learn where you'd like to come back and digest the sights more thoroughly.

Every once in a while, I remember to pull out my map and have the guide highlight the route we had taken. I'm not a good note taker so this (and the photos I've learned to take of entrance signs) have help me understand and remember more fully where I have been.

I think I will try to go on the little cruise near the flower auction house. I just need to communicate with a local person to determine the logistics of combi-ticket group tour vs. driving myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...
Hi MSTraveler, your photos of the Keuknoff Gardens are beautiful! Are you on your trip now? Hope you have a great time!

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

I am back home now as I took this trip in the early springtime. I loved the cruise and had a great time meeting new people, seeing the sights and experiencing the culture. The Netherlands were wonderful and I really hated to leave at the end of my trip.

I know I’ve posted these pictures a bit late but I just wanted to share a bit of what these magnificent gardens looked like as well as try to learn how to post pics on CC. I’m so glad you enjoyed them.e4a965bb6973fe70c01955b49c6a8e04.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

On a Viking Tulips and Windmills River Cruise, does anyone know if the included walking tour offered during a pre extension stay in Amsterdam is the same included walking tour that is offered on the 2nd day once on the ship? We are trying to decide how to divide our time to get to see as much as possible