Considering June 2020 Cruise

napria

Please forgive me if I’m asking a stupid question. Until this past April I had been on only one other cruise (32 years ago). My husband and I took a Caribbean cruise on the Silver Wind this past April, which we very much enjoyed except for leaving San Juan where the ship did quite a bit of up and down motion and I got violently ill for most of the night.

Now I’m looking at an itinerary that starts in Montreal and ends in New York by way of Bermuda. It’s on the Navigator. Am I pushing my luck?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

We cruised on Navigator in 2014 from Montreal to Miami. Have to say it was one of our best cruises.

This was due to the itinerary, the friendliest mix of passengers we have ever been lucky enough to sail with, and enjoying the intamacy and service levels onboard. We had sailed on Navigator prior to that, and have had none of the known issues that other have. We did experience really rough seas, and had to resort to anti-emetic medication.

There is another thread currently with opinions of Navigator experiences, which might be helpful to you.

We would definitely sail on Navigator again with no hesitation. Out of interest, how long is the cruise you are considering, and do you have specific concerns?

Jean.

Please forgive me if I’m asking a stupid question. Until this past April I had been on only one other cruise (32 years ago). My husband and I took a Caribbean cruise on the Silver Wind this past April, which we very much enjoyed except for leaving San Juan where the ship did quite a bit of up and down motion and I got violently ill for most of the night.

Now I’m looking at an itinerary that starts in Montreal and ends in New York by way of Bermuda. It’s on the Navigator. Am I pushing my luck?

Yes - there are areas in the Caribbean that are very rough. My concern about the itinerary that you are looking at is that I vividly remember some pretty hefty storms that have run through areas on the east coast at that time of the year (still part of hurricane season). And then there is the part of the ship that goes to Bermuda that can also be rough. And, as has been mentioned, the Navigator is not the best Regent ship to sail in rough seas (the Mariner is the most stable of Regent's ships with the Explorer bering second.)

If you take a seasickness meds. and possibly electronic wrist bands, you may be fine. On the other hand, we handle the seas fairly well (with medication) and would likely not do that itinerary on the Navigator (the only ship where my DH has been seasick).

Hi never been on the Navigator but have cruised several times from NY to Bermuda. It is very rare to have a hurricane in June. Usually hurricanes come the end of Aug to Sept. You won’t be in the Caribbean at all, Bermuda is in the Atlantic. Consider getting the patch or take medication in advance to prevent sea sickness.

Liptastic, the cruise is 10 days.

We loved the intimacy of the Wind. I’m thinking the Navigator may have the same feeling.

I also love the itinerary of this cruise. I’ve always wanted to see Montreal and Quebec, as well as revisit Nova Scotia. Bermuda is a definite plus, and although I’m one of the few who doesn’t love New York, I lived there for many years and still have relatives there. I’m thinking about seeing if we could stay overnight to visit with my sister and her family.

We have done this itinerary 5 times. The two that were in May/June were just fine. The other three in October were really rough as it is hurricane season. We have never been on Navigator, but it can not be THAT bad. We have been on some smaller ships, i.e. Silverseas. The one thing I will say for that time of the year up North is that it is COLD. We just did this in May this year on Oceania which is a larger ship. There was no rough weather. The weather in the south was quite nice and warm, but as usual up in Canada it was COLD. It is a beautiful cruise and if I had my choice I would do it at this time of the year May/June. Go for it! My opinion only.

We were on the Navigator in October 2017. From New York to New York. We had GREAT weather the entire cruise. Our cruise went to

Bermuda. Did not like Bermuda at all. We had been on the Navigator years ago. Our cruise was not sold out which made doing things

very easy and we had great service from the crew. The food was outstanding. That of course depends on who the Executive Chef is.

We went on the Explorer in January and we thought the food was awful...not impressed. We have also been quite disappointed in the

red wine. Regent is buying really cheap red wine (complimentary) and we have complained about it.

It really isn't fair to compare Navigator to other ships of her size because they were built to be cruise ships while the former owners of Regent (two owners ago) decided to buy a hull that was never meant to be a hull of a passenger ship and decided to build on it anyway (probably because the old hull had been sitting around for a while -- I have a history of the Navigator and it is quite interesting). The closest size to the Navigator that we have sailed on is Silversea's Whisper. She has 50 less suites which gives quite a bit more public spaces and is much more stable in the water. We love that ship very much but the Navigator - not so much.

Based on what I've read and heard about the Navigator, Regent (current and last owners) have likely put more money into the Navigator in an attempt to correct the problems than they have spent on the Mariner and Voyager.

We also love the Wind....and Cloud and I can tell you that it is a very similar type of atmosphere. We did 3 NY to Bermuda trips on Navigator and would sign up in a heartbeat if it were offered again. The seas can be rough on this route but if you enjoy a true sailing trip this might just be the right package for you.

Well my husband said go for it, but I’m still hesitant. You all have said some positive things about this ship, as well as some not so positive things. Which goes back to the fact that each person has to decide for himself what is acceptable and what isn’t. Unfortunately I can’t make up my mind.

The reply I’m most curious about is from mrstanley; what didn’t you like about Bermuda?

We are also looking at that cruise, for us it would be a very nice itinerary as we has never been to Canada!

I booked it!

I’m looking at the electronic sea bands. Hopefully I’ll be ok. I’m very excited to try Regent! From the brochures they send me (A LOT of brochures!) I think we might like Regent even more than the other luxury cruise lines. I love that virtually everything is included. It’s nice not to worry about paying for shore excursions or airfare.