Pearl Harbor Question

ddgg

I'm sailing to Hawaii on the Legend this September. All of the ship/private tours I've seen visit the Arizona Memorial. None of them just go to the USS Missouri.

I've never been to Hawaii before. Is there an easy way for me to go to the Missouri on my own? How far is it from the cruise pier? Are there taxis at the pier?

Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Peral Harbor isn't far from the pier, so you can taxi or Uber easily. To visit the Missouri, you'll need to buy tickets at the main entrance, and then ride a shuttle over to Ford Island. The ride is about 10 minutes.

I definitely recommend going aboard Missouri. It's amazing.

The problem with doing it this way is, you may not be able to get Arizona tickets until late in the afternoon. The early tickets run out very quick.

One word of advice, they do not allow bags of any kind...even purses and camera cases. You can check them at the entrance, but it can be a bit of a hassle and they charge you $5 per bag.

Peral Harbor isn't far from the pier, so you can taxi or Uber easily. To visit the Missouri, you'll need to buy tickets at the main entrance, and then ride a shuttle over to Ford Island. The ride is about 10 minutes.

The problem with doing it this way is, you may not be able to get Arizona tickets until late in the afternoon. The early tickets run out very quick.

One word of advice, they do not allow bags of any kind...even purses and camera cases. You can check them at the entrance, but it can be a bit of a hassle and they charge you $5 per bag.

They do a nice job of maintaining respect for the fallen heroes, especially at the Arizona. Also agree on getting on the Missouri. There is also an area for submariners and dedication for each lost during the war, a scary high number....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For anyone going the Pearl Harbor soon it was announced yesterday that tenders won’t be allowed to dock at the Arizona Memorial.

Visitor Access to USS Arizona Memorial Temporarily Suspended

Boat transport to the USS Arizona Memorial has been temporarily suspended until further notice. Visitors will taken on a boat ride past the memorial but will not disembark.

The Arizona Memorial’s loading dock was damaged several months ago & they recently discovered more damage. According the the local news access will be prohibited until further notice. The visitor’s center is open & harbor tours will replace going on the Arizona Memorial.

https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/visitor-access-to-uss-arizona-memorial-suspended/1172991621

Try http://www.nps.gov/valr.

That is the website for the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument which includes the U.S.S Arizona Memorial, the U.S.S. Missouri and the U.S.S. Bowfin. You can visit any one or all three from the visitors center. To get to the U.S.S. Missouri you will be bussed to the Missouri.

We were at Pearl Harbour after our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We booked tickets for the Arizona Memorial on-line ahead of time and the earliest time we could get was 3:30. However, we got there a couple of hours early, and when we checked in for our tickets, they asked us if we wanted to go on the 1:30 trip to the memorial. Just wanted to let you know that sometimes, you can get on an earlier boat than your ticket says.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Keep in mind this very important fact...the USS Missouri (as well as the aviation museum) are on a active naval base. (Ford Island) the ONLY way to visit them (assuming you are not active duty or retired military) is to take the bus from the visitors center at PH. (Where is arizona visitor center is)

We stayed a few days prior to the cruise and booked a tour directly with E Noa tours that went to the Arizona Memorial, the Mssouri and the National Cemetary. It was a great tour. If you go to the Missouri make sure you explore the interior of the battleship and not just up on the decks where the guides are.

• 1 month later...

We are cruising to Hawaii in late October and my husband's "bucket list" item is to go to the Missouri - Mighty Mo. Princess offers 2 tours (including the USS Missouri and Arizona Memorial) - one guided and one not guided. He wants to be on a tour that will allow him to see as much of the Missouri as possible. Any suggestions re: going on the guided vs. unguided tour? We have heard that you are supplied with headphones on the unguided tours.

I believe that there are docents/volunteers on the Mighty Mo who answer questions. While we were at the visitors center we saw ‘guided tours’ that seemed to be hurried along. How much time does Princess allow for these tours? We spent about 4 1/2-5 hours at the visitors center including a trip to the U.S.S. Arizona. There is so much to see. When at the visitors center you will have to board a bus to get to the Mighty Mo and the PAcific Aviation Museum which are both on Ford Island and part of the active Joint Base Pearl Harbor. You can get to the aorld War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument by public transportation, taxi/Uber etc.

Since my questions are about the same and i don't want to open a 'new' threat for this, maybe someone can help me with my concerns.

We are departing the ship in Honolulu and will be staying there for about 2 nights before heading back to Europe. On the day we disembark we would like to visit Pearl Harbour & USS Arizona. Best option would be to go straight to PH after disembarking, but what to do with our luggage?

Other option is to drop our luggage off at the hotel first, but our hotel is in the Waikiki beach area. It will be a little expensive taking a taxi to Wakiki first, and then back to PH and back again. Any other options??

There is a bag check at the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument Visitors Center. You must check all bags before you can enter. As per others they can accommodate luggage. There is a $5.00 per bag fee. You may carry in a camera. cellphone, wallet in your pocket but no bags.

We are also staying a few days post cruise. We are taking an excursion through cruise compete that takes a bus to Pearl Harbor and keeps your luggage in the luggage compartment of the bus during your visit there then will take you to the airport or your hotel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I would say no. You can't take in anything that "provides concealment". I will be going there as well, and I'm going to wear shorts with pockets to hold my wallet. I also have a small camera that will be on a lanyard around my neck.

Here's a link to a page that lists the restrictions.

http://www.pearlharborhistoricsites.org/pearl-harbor/arizona-memorial-visitor-tips

In my opinion,it's always best, to just go on your own to Pearl Harbor. It's a big negative to be with any "tour", becuase you will NOT have any freedom with your time. The admission tour to the Missouri, includes head phones, this is all you need. Enjoy the communications with those around you.

If you are coming off a cruise ship, then you have to take your luggage to your lodging or store (fee ) it a the port. There will be the idea, that taking a guided tour, solves this "problem" but at an extremely high "cost" in your experience.

I've seen huddled groups, doing a lot of nothing- waiting and then being rushed along. I avoid them, for my preferences, at this location, which isn't hard to do.

We have never had a problem finding a parking spot, but we go later in the day when the crowds are less. If you can get tickets for for one of their last tours you will have time to go to Dole in the a.m. and then spend your afternoon at PH. JMO Cherie

I've never had any parking issues either. You may be in the further lots over by the bag storage, but so what? :) With an afternoon visit, you would have a steady stream of people leaving as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Keep in mind this very important fact...the USS Missouri (as well as the aviation museum) are on a active naval base. (Ford Island) the ONLY way to visit them (assuming you are not active duty or retired military) is to take the bus from the visitors center at PH. (Where is arizona visitor center is)

Dave, what if we ARE retired Navy? Wouldn't we still have to take the bus from the visitors center?