Tipping for excursions - how much to bring?

slidebite

We are aware of the gratuities included on-board, but I believe tipping is to be expected for excursions. Anyone have advice for what is appropriate for an average excursion? I plan to get some Euros before we leave North America and not sure how much to bring.

Also, regarding this, does anyone know if European ATMs typically accept Canadian bank cards? I assume so but I haven't been to Europe for almost 10 years.

Slidebite:

You might want to review an earlier Thread--July 31st--begun by pyrwhite, SUBJECT: Suggested Gratuities for Activities Not Onboard. My comments were posted on that Thread concerning off-ship tipping. So, will not repeat on this Thread.

GOARMY!

Your ATM card should work in the ATM's in Europe. I have never had any problems, but I am US.

Ask your bank and be sure to give the bank a list of countries you will visit so they would put a fraud aleat block on your ATM card.

In Europe only use ATM machines that are attached to real banks, not mall or restaurant stand alone ATM or you will get ripped on fees.

Be sure you understand foriegn transactions fees that your bank may charge. Some bank and brokeage ATM are foriegn fee free. Others might charge up to 3%.

For me I never get foriegn money at home anymore. Using Foriegn ATM is always cheaper and safer. I can get as little or as much as I want. And in the currency of any county I visit.

J

Make sure that your ATM card has a chip and not a magnetic strip - without a chip on your ATM card, you may have difficulty finding a machine that will read your card.

Most European ATM machines require a six digit PIN

Become familiar with the "networks" associated with your bank/ATM card to save on fees - I know that if I utilize an ATM within one of the networks of my bank, there are no fees

Be careful about multiple visits to the ATM on the same day - even if you have notified your bank, it may cause a fraud alert

I have traveled extensively with a Canadian friend and never experienced any trouble using an ATM machine anywhere in the world

Back to your original question about tipping - this is a subject that for many reasons is close to my heart and if I ever decide to go back to school for another doctorate, it will be the subject of my thesis. GOARMY provided excellent recommendations. Personally I tip based on my personal experience - I almost always tip the driver, sometimes more than the guide (we also had a very harrowing experience and the driver was amazing and too this day remain forever grateful that he had the nerves of steel) and the tip to the guide depends on the experience - guides that go above and beyond what is required and expected are rewarded for their effort (my best experience - we were scheduled to enjoy tea and scones in Ireland, however, the restaurant experienced a power outage - the guide called her Mom and we went to their home to enjoy the best scones I have ever had (and I spent my childhood summers in the UK) - absolutely delightful!

One of my biggest pet peeves is that so many people do not tip on the excursions believing that all tips are included - on one cruise we had a huge argument on the bus, with the majority of people claiming that tips are not required or expected. I asked the general manager to put a blurb in passages regarding the tipping on excursions but was told that this is not the responsibility of Regent. In most parts of the world, tour guides may not receive any salary whatsoever or a very minimal salary and tips are the majority of their compensation.

gnomie :)

Your ATM card should work in the ATM's in Europe. I have never had any problems, but I am US.

Ask your bank and be sure to give the bank a list of countries you will visit so they would put a fraud aleat block on your ATM card.

In Europe only use ATM machines that are attached to real banks, not mall or restaurant stand alone ATM or you will get ripped on fees.

Be sure you understand foriegn transactions fees that your bank may charge. Some bank and brokeage ATM are foriegn fee free. Others might charge up to 3%.

For me I never get foriegn money at home anymore. Using Foriegn ATM is always cheaper and safer. I can get as little or as much as I want. And in the currency of any county I visit.

J

Agree with you. We use ATM's around the world (some have a chip - some don't but it hasn't mattered). We also provide a letter to the bank that issued the ATM card and to the credit card company for the card that we may use on the trip with a copy of our itinerary. It works well - never have had a problem.

On the other subject, Regent regularly advises passengers via Passages that tips to tour guide is not included. If people don't read it, there is little that Regent can do. I would say that 75% of passengers on Regent excursions do not tip which is very embarrassing!

Agree with you. We use ATM's around the world (some have a chip - some don't but it hasn't mattered). We also provide a letter to the bank that issued the ATM card and to the credit card company for the card that we may use on the trip with a copy of our itinerary. It works well - never have had a problem.

On the other subject, Regent regularly advises passengers via Passages that tips to tour guide is not included. If people don't read it, there is little that Regent can do. I would say that 75% of passengers on Regent excursions do not tip which is very embarrassing!

I have NEVER read or seen anything from Regent regarding tips to guides once on the ship - I have every Passages from each cruise I have been on - one day when I have nothing to do (likely to win the lottery before that happens) I will review them again but one of the reasons that I kept them was to use if I do ever go back to school. It would be very easy to make an announcement when sitting in the theater waiting for excursions and I have suggested it on each of my cruise evaluations, I do not believe it has ever been done.

I have definitely read somewhere that tips aren’t included. Either on the website or in Passages, can’t say for sure which, but i have always clearly know that tips are not included.

I have definitely read it as well!

Make sure that your ATM card has a chip and not a magnetic strip - without a chip on your ATM card, you may have difficulty finding a machine that will read your card.

Most European ATM machines require a six digit PIN

Become familiar with the "networks" associated with your bank/ATM card to save on fees - I know that if I utilize an ATM within one of the networks of my bank, there are no fees

Be careful about multiple visits to the ATM on the same day - even if you have notified your bank, it may cause a fraud alert

I have traveled extensively with a Canadian friend and never experienced any trouble using an ATM machine anywhere in the world

It is important to advise your home bank that you will be travelling and WHERE. On a cruise this often (usually?) means multiple countries. If you don't they might cancel your card.

European ATMs all take 4 digit PINS. We are Swiss, have those on our ATM cards and have never ever had a problem withdrawing cash anywhere in Europe - Western or Eastern. They certainly will take Canadian ATM cards. But suggest strongly against using a credit card to withdraw cash - the home bank slaps an interest charge on the withdrawal from the minute you make it even if you have a zero balance on the account! Never withdraw a lot of cash though. Unfortunately there are pickpockets who like to take "spare"cash. I make a point of not carrying more than I can "afford" to loose which is normally around €200.

I believe the information about tips not being included is in the tour description form (the one that has the detailed timelines) that is placed in your suite on embarkation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting point made about tipping the driver. He/she is the one that keeps the tour on time [if mainly motorised] they do the research of routes and back up routes. Their driving keeps you safe and most drivers are responsible for keeping their coach/minibus clean inside and out, fuelled and topped up with appropriate fluids. So when you get back from your tour, the guide also gets off, the driver has another hours work to do, plus they would have done half an hour of checks etc before starting.

We too often tip the drivers more, especially if their driving standard is good.

Interesting point made about tipping the driver. He/she is the one that keeps the tour on time [if mainly motorised] they do the research of routes and back up routes. Their driving keeps you safe and most drivers are responsible for keeping their coach/minibus clean inside and out, fuelled and topped up with appropriate fluids. So when you get back from your tour, the guide also gets off, the driver has another hours work to do, plus they would have done half an hour of checks etc before starting.

We too often tip the drivers more, especially if their driving standard is good.

We used to assume that the guide shared with the driver but then it dawned on us that was assuming too much. We now give separately to driver.

You made some good points about the driver. It should also be noted that they can get lost on the way back to the ship (has happened to us twice) and had to make multiple phone calls to figure it out. In those cases, no tip!

I believe the information about tips not being included is in the tour description form (the one that has the detailed timelines) that is placed in your suite on embarkation.

That is where it was last time we were on Regent.

Is tipping tour guides still expected in countries where tipping is not the norm, like Australia.

Personally, I respect the customs of each country that we visit. If tipping is not the norm, we do not tip as it could be insulting to the tour guide/bus driver.

Here is a link to some guidelines but some posters may disagree:

http://www.munknee.com/cheap-or-generous-what-to-tip-in-other-countries/

I’m from Australia and can confirm that tour guides would not be expecting tips. That said, they won’t be insulted at all if you offer them one (as many tourists do) and most will quite happily take your money.

You made some good points about the driver. It should also be noted that they can get lost on the way back to the ship (has happened to us twice) and had to make multiple phone calls to figure it out. In those cases, no tip!

I wouldn't be tipping either and I have been known to leave an excursion as I have felt unsafe with a driver (after telling the guide why we were leaving) and got ourselves back to our ship or hotel.

I think its pretty much a given if the driver either gets lost, takes you to the wrong destination or is a bad driver then you wouldn't tip but i think we are talking "tipping" in the general terms and i would agree with the majority that if a job is well done then driver and guide should be tipped accordingly.

Pam.