Regent cost for pre-cruise hotels

eliana

I am not sure if anyone has moaned about this before. We found recently that booking a pre-cruise hotel with Regent was far more expensive than booking the same hotel online, even allowing for the absence of transfers.

We would much prefer to have the total package arranged by Regent, but are left with no alternative

That unfortunately is not unique to Regent. I don't have a problem with companies making a profit, but most of the cruise lines have such a ridiculous upcharge that we book hotels ourselves. I really wish they kept it competitive, as I'd much prefer one-stop shopping!

There are two aspects of this issue (and, as others have noted, not unique to Regent):

1) They quote the price for pre/post cruises nights as per person. Very few, if any, hotels charge differently for one versus two people in a room unless there are significant per person benefits like at an all-inclusive resort.

2) The cost listed for the pre-cruise hotel rooms are double or more what the credit is if you opt-out of the included pre-cruise night for Concierge and above suites. Ironically, the credit tends to represent about the cost of making your own arrangements so you end up trading a room for a room.

Transfers from the hotel to the ship are a very mixed blessing. Sure, they do some of the heavy lifting, but it guarantees that you arrive in a mass which can slow down boarding and checking-in. Even when staying at the Regent pre-cruise hotel as a PH benefit, we've taken a taxi to the ship. Usually inquire as to when the mass transfer occurs and time our trip to be a bit earlier.

Finally, there's at least one major travel company which doesn't see extra nights at the start or end of a trip as a major profit center: Tauck. We do many of our land-based tours with them and their cost for pre/post tour extra nights (priced per room) is usually within 0-10% of what I can do on my own at the same hotels. They no doubt still turn a reasonable profit because of their lower cost for a block of rooms, but it isn't highway robbery.

• Like 1

It is quite simple. Regent makes a profit for simplifying travelers lives. They will make all the arrangements, not necessarily optimized for each individual, for a price which includes a profit for them. Nobody is obligated to use them and the arrangements are not difficult to arrange yourself. But, a fair number of people, for various reasons, prefer not to make all their own arrangements. So Regent will do it but for a price. You are not obligated to use them so there is little reason to moan - just do it yourself. It is fairly easy. Not convenient? Well, you can just pay them to do it. Or, perhaps your TA will do it but will likely also charge you a fee.

Even if you book concierge room and have pre cruise hotel inc...you can get $125 per person discount and get your own room. We prefer to spend the extra on a taxi and determine our own time and not packed in bus.

We figure we re spending THOUSANDS on this trip and will not be back there again,,so why not splurge a little.We also book at least a day ahead and one after before flying home,,so less hassle and gives us time to explore port a little.We re now retired and have luxury of time,,,;plus enjoy the whole experience and want to savor it.So many of our friends can t or wont travel,,for many reasons...we take advantage of it now.

To me its a no brainer to book your own hotel. If you know how to use a computer to post on a travel board, you should be able to find and book a hotel of your liking, its not difficult at all. Also, for transfer to ports that are far from the city (for example, port of Civitavecchia from Rome), with roll calls its very easy to "meet" other Regent cruisers that would like to share a limo transfer to port.

NEVER EVER book a hotel through a cruise line. They charge per person, not per room and unless you like burning cash it's a total waste of money. People who say they do it for the convenience can find the same convenience by having their TA book the room,many of which include breakfast and the transfers. The buy yourself something very nice with the money you save. That's what I call convenient.

NEVER EVER book a hotel through a cruise line. They charge per person, not per room and unless you like burning cash it's a total waste of money. People who say they do it for the convenience can find the same convenience by having their TA book the room,many of which include breakfast and the transfers. The buy yourself something very nice with the money you save. That's what I call convenient.

Agree 100 %.

We NEVER book a hotel room through Regent and never would. We are at Gold Level and don't need to book at Concierge suite as we get the benefits minus the FREE one-night stay and transfers. Wouldn't book any transfers either. Regent charges too much money for a bus

ride! I usually have my American Express Travel agent book my hotels for me through their Platinum services. But if I were not using her I would book directly with a hotel, use Hotels.com, or Booking.com to at least research hotels. Those websites are very easy to use.

Even the big hotel chains like Marriott, Hyatt have easy websites to use.

[quoteBut if I were not using her I would book directly with a hotel, use Hotels.com, or Booking.com to at least research hotels. Those websites are very easy to use.

Is booking through hotel.com cheaper than booking the hotel direct on its internet site?

But if I were not using her I would book directly with a hotel, use Hotels.com, or Booking.com to at least research hotels. Those websites are very easy to use.

Is booking through hotel.com cheaper than booking the hotel direct on its internet site?

I use hotels.com because I earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed. I learned to check carefully for surcharges though as in some foreign locales the surcharge was as much as the discount was advertised to be. If you are extremely brand loyal to a hotel, then by all means use their site.

We accidentally found ourselves in the same hotel as the Oceania pre-cruise when we sailed out of Athens a few years ago. Validated my choice of hotel. I am certain we paid far less, and the transfer from near the Parthenon to the port was nominal compared to what ship transfers cost. We definitely make our own pre and post sailing hotel reservations.

One thing to note is that most hotel chains do not extend elite (or even member) benefits to stays booked from third parties, and do not award program points for those stays either.

Given that, it makes it worthwhile to evaluate whether those "savings" from third party booking sites are sufficient to offset the loss of benefits. Free vs paid internet access is one consideration, as well as the value of the hotel points (which can be an effective "rebate" of between 1% and 6%, depending on program and status).

Caveat emptor.

One positive about staying in Regent's assigned hotel is that some hotels will permit upgrading and you only pay the cost between what Regent paid and the cost of the room that you book.

Generally people upgrade to be on the "club floor" to get the benefits. We did this in Sydney at the Four Seasons (Regent's assigned hotel) and will be doing it again in Santiago next year - staying at the Mandarin Oriental rather than Regent's hotel - Ritz Carlton. While it is costing us more than the credit we received from Regent, and the Ritz Carlton is a highly rated hotel, we still would prefer not being with the crowds of people from Regent.

What is wrong with being with the Regent people at a hotel when you are going to be with them on the ship?

The ships are equipped and ready to handle the number of passengers that sail on them. Check-in is usually easy and quick and the restaurants can easily handle the passengers.

We have stayed in many, many Regent selected hotels and most of them are lovely. The hotel we stayed at in Bali earlier this year was one of the best accommodations that we have had anywhere. However, there were two to three people checking in guests while our large group sat and waited a long time. They gave us water and cold towels and were as kind as they could be ....... they just could not handle the crowd.

In several hotels, there were not restaurants large enough to accommodate the group so they put us in a ballroom with a large buffet set up. The tables are typically the large banquet tables where 8-10 people can sit. I don't know if it was the excitement before the cruise, concern about the upcoming cruise, jet lag or ??? but so many people were not very friendly (not just once - quite a few times). While we have met lovely people on the ship we have met no-one in the hotel that we would care to see again (the people are likely very nice -- just not in the environment that we were in).

The worst part for us is the transportation from the hotel to the ship. I do not recall how they assign bus numbers to people as we haven't used their transportation in some time. We like to get to the ship between 11:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. but some of the buses didn't leave the hotel until well after the mandatory check out time. Then, when the buses arrive at the port, the groups wait in line to check in. By the time the buses arrived, we are likely finished with lunch and are on to other things.

So, if we can save money by staying in another hotel ........ have included breakfast and then take a taxi to the ship, why not?

P.S. We have taken transportation from the ship to the airport which was not as bad (not good but not terrible..... too much waiting, etc.). We are quite happy that we now qualify for private transfers ....... much better!

We also usually book our own hotels for all the reasons listed above. However, I have a dilemma re: an upcoming trip starting in Tokyo. I would much prefer to use my Hyatt points and just pay for transportation myself. But I have read that Tokyo taxi drivers generally do not speak any english and I worry about not being able to get to the hotel or port (and getting totally lost). I would love some input from those of you that have been in Japan and used their taxis.:confused::confused:

From hotel to port is easy - you can just ask the hotel concierge to write your destination in Japanese on a card and hand it to the driver. I am still trying to figure out from port to hotel myself, but I believe there is a Japan taxi app that you can use to input your destination without having to speak Japanese.

Be assured that Tokyo taxi drivers are totally honest, they will not try to take advantage of a tourist not familiar with the area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I lived in Tokyo some years ago for 4 years. Things may have changed some, but. Would have the concierge at the hotel write down where the port is and than give it to the cab driver. I believe the Hyatt has a doorman so let him verbally tel him the port and give him with the address written. I puke imagine you would be able to find someone at Narita airport to be able to do,the same for directions to,the hotel

Hope this helps

Rosemary

I never have and probably never would book an "additional" hotel night through Regent. But beyond that, the decision on lodging becomes more personnel and somewhat dependent upon RSSC Society status and desired itinerary.

For example, for us before we were Platinum level, we took several Concierge cabins on Explorer to get: great F1 style cabins with large veranda, arrival a day early without the deviation charges, a very nice hotel room, transfers to hotel, ship and departure airport - at prices not much higher than for the F1 cabins we love. Yes, the meals have never been "great" but it has been fun to meet our shipmates early.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will look into the Japan Taxi App and private transfer. Just one more reason why I love Cruise Critic. There is so much help by great people when you need it.

Btw, Regent wants $649pp for an extra night but will only give us $250 credit for the "free" pre-cruise night. I feel that is outrageous and is why I usually do my own hotel and transfers.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will look into the Japan Taxi App and private transfer. Just one more reason why I love Cruise Critic. There is so much help by great people when you need it.

Btw, Regent wants $649pp for an extra night but will only give us $250 credit for the "free" pre-cruise night. I feel that is outrageous and is why I usually do my own hotel and transfers.

Enough said!!!!!

• 11 months later...