Some very general questions on the Pacific side of Mexico

PaperSniper4

We are two seasoned cruisers both near 70 years of age. We cruise mainly in the Caribbean and some Europe cruises. We have been on about 33 cruises. So we are knowledgeable about cruising in general.....but we have next to no experience in Mexico other than the Atlantic/Caribbean side ports. We are not into the very active tours, but we like the "first time in port all inclusive bus tour to see what's here" type tours. We like interesting shopping experiences, and occasionally a nice bar or grill for a meal and a drink or two.

We are looking at cruises in the fall to the places below. I wonder if I can get some very general recommendations on what to see and do, based on our interests and demographics above.

Cabo San Lucas

Mazatlan

Manzanillo

Puerta Vallarta

Loreto

La Paz

I realize I'm asking for very non-specific information.....makes it tough to reply, doesn't it?:o

Doug

I looked at the Carnival tours and there's one in every city that they go to that looks like what you want. I know when I went in April private drivers were really affordable in both Mazatlan and PV. Like $60-$100 for the entire day for the car.

For interesting shopping, Mazatlan old town is nice and so is the Malecon in PV.

Every cruise line has intro tours, usually 2 or 3 hours in length, that show you the sites, usually in drive by mode. Most will also have longer intro tours that allow a couple stops at more popular sites. These usually run 4-5 hours.

The variety comes with shopping tours, and tours that include food. Shopping tours are common in areas with some shopping attractions. Tours that offer food are usually over 5 or so hours.

Cabo is a purpose built tourist town that seems to cater to Americans. Puerto Vallarta is a tourist town. Lots of expats and locals vacation here. Mazatlan is a huge port. If you’re lucky you can watch them load or unload a car carrier. Manzanillo, La Paz are a Mexican cities. Loreto is a small village.

What to do

Cabo San Lucas has a Land and Sea tour.

Mazatlan- grab a pulmonia (golf cart taxi) for a two hour tour. Going rate is about $20-$25. It’s a mile walk from the Mercado back to port. Google the route.

Manzanillo- any of the tours that go to Colima and Comala and include the pyramids. These are very long tours. Highly recommend a ship’s excursion for these.

Puerto Vallarta- there is a basic bus tour that gives an overview. They town and to where Night of the Iguana was filmed. If you stay in town a taxi back will be about $8. Check out the Rio Cuale artists. All of the restaurants along the Malecon range form good to very good. Some cater to the local Mexican tourists.

Rhythms of the Night is also very good.

There’s a Walmart across from port. Vanilla is the cheapest here. Nice local wine selection.

Loreto - never taken a tour here. We’ve walked up to the Plaza, check out the Mission Church from the 1690’s. Across the way in an old Adobe is a weavers. Variety of blankets, including many that are woven in site.

La Paz- there is a nice tour that goes to a weaver’s, a glass blower, and a ceramics factory. A few blocks up from where the shuttle drops you off is the Church. Across the plaza, facing the Church is the old City Hall. It’s now a very small museum with two nice sized galleries.

We eat at more local places like the mercados in Mazatlan, La Paz, Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I looked at the Carnival tours and there's one in every city that they go to that looks like what you want. I know when I went in April private drivers were really affordable in both Mazatlan and PV. Like $60-$100 for the entire day for the car.

For interesting shopping, Mazatlan old town is nice and so is the Malecon in PV.

Thanks for that reply. We generally stick with the cruise line "island fam" type tours to start. Mazatlan bears checking into for us.

Doug

Cabo is a purpose built tourist town that seems to cater to Americans. Puerto Vallarta is a tourist town. Lots of expats and locals vacation here. Mazatlan is a huge port. If you’re lucky you can watch them load or unload a car carrier. Manzanillo, La Paz are a Mexican cities. Loreto is a small village.

What to do

Cabo San Lucas has a Land and Sea tour.

Mazatlan- grab a pulmonia (golf cart taxi) for a two hour tour. Going rate is about $20-$25. It’s a mile walk from the Mercado back to port. Google the route.

Manzanillo- any of the tours that go to Colima and Comala and include the pyramids. These are very long tours. Highly recommend a ship’s excursion for these.

Puerto Vallarta- there is a basic bus tour that gives an overview. They town and to where Night of the Iguana was filmed. If you stay in town a taxi back will be about $8. Check out the Rio Cuale artists. All of the restaurants along the Malecon range form good to very good. Some cater to the local Mexican tourists.

Rhythms of the Night is also very good.

There’s a Walmart across from port. Vanilla is the cheapest here. Nice local wine selection.

Loreto - never taken a tour here. We’ve walked up to the Plaza, check out the Mission Church from the 1690’s. Across the way in an old Adobe is a weavers. Variety of blankets, including many that are woven in site.

La Paz- there is a nice tour that goes to a weaver’s, a glass blower, and a ceramics factory. A few blocks up from where the shuttle drops you off is the Church. Across the plaza, facing the Church is the old City Hall. It’s now a very small museum with two nice sized galleries.

We eat at more local places like the mercados in Mazatlan, La Paz, Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo.

Thanks very much for that great info! I'm cutting and pasting your reply, plus others here, into my planning document for our potential cruise next fall. We had visited Cabo and Mazatlan back in 2004 when I first retired on a "retirement" RCI cruise out of San Diego, but we remember little. Wife bought a necklace in Cabo, and we went horseback riding in Mazatlan....the latter is not going to happen on this trip! My butt is a little more sensitive than in 2004.;)

We have taken cruises to these ports every year for the last 10 or so.

There are cartels working throughout Mexico but their "violence" hasn't affected cruise passengers. They affect people that the cartel has problems with.

All these cities have USA citizens and Canadians who come and live in them for winter. All these cities have had cruise ships visiting without problems.

The drug cartels are interested in making money and not interested in harming tourists.

The cruise lines do offer basic "fam" bus tours in every port. As is typical of cruise line excursions they use large buses and the tours are somewhat overpriced. But they do satisfy those who feel more secure on a large group excursion that does large group things.

We live in Puerto Vallarta for about 10 weeks a year and our Condo overlooks an area that is often crowded with tourists and tour groups. I am also out and about every day and often see the cruise line excursion buses/groups. To be very honest, I find myself feeling a little sorry for the folks on those excursions. When it comes to shopping they are generally taken to very specific places who are happy to welcome large tour groups. It is no accident that cruise line excursions go to specific stores as there are usually "financial arrangements" that benefit the tour provider (but not the cruiser). For folks that will only book those hand-holding excursions we would suggest they look for an excursion that at least gives them some time on their own so they can freely browse in other shops and take advantage to some of the fantastic eating and drinking venues we have in PV.

And for those who are addicted to cruise line excursions and their favored stores, yes, we do have a Diamonds Internatonal and they even open early if there is a cruise line Excursion on their way :). Not sure you will find anyone other then the cruise line excursions in some of those places, but they are there for those who like that kind of thing. We once met a DI employee who told us that he works in Alaska in the summer and Puerto Vallarta in the winter and does not see many customers other then cruise ship passengers. Wonder why?

Hank

our family will be in pv dec 24.2018 off the ncl star and since the grandkids want to swim with the dolphins at the aquatic park that's where all 11 of us are headed will we have any trouble finding transportation the day before Christmas

Taxis will be plentiful (even on Xmas Eve day) but your large group will likely need to use multiple vehicles unless you make prior arrangements. It will take some luck to stumble on a taxi large enough for 11 (not sure they exist). This is one time when its a good idea to use the taxis that operate within the Port (these are special taxis that operate with a Federal franchise and have their own rate structure) to get you to the park. But for your return you will have to deal with the regular taxis that hang around the park and you might need to grab as many as 4 vehicles.

Another possibility is arrange for your own private tour bus (mini bus). I have no clue as to the pricing but you might want to send an e-mail to Superior Tours at info@superiortoursvallarta.com. This is an excellent local tour company (we know the owner) that might be able to help.

Hank

There will be taxi vans at port.

The potential problem for the OP will not be at the port as they could always find multiple vehicles. But the Water Park is in a somewhat isolated location near the turn-off for Nuevo where taxi/vans are few and far between. With a group of 11 they would need 3 regular taxis. The taxis that operate out of the port would not even be allowed to come back for the group since those are special taxis limited to picking up their passengers at the Port or airport. From the Water Park, Uber might also be an option but the Uber cars have been harassed at the Nuevo area and we do not know if this "harassment" extends to the water park.

Hank