port help for ride on scooter

casperbks

I will be on a carnival cruise going to these ports can you tell me if there is anything to see or that I can do in these ports using my scooter.. This is my first time using one so I can really use advice.. I suppose they dont have any excursions for me because of the scooter but just thought I would see what advice you all have for these ports.. what to see and where to go and what to buy?? thank you Cozumel Mexico......Limon Costa Rica.....Cartagena Columbia......Aruba.......Curacao......Montego Bay, Jamacia...:)

I have just started traveling with a scooter. In January, I will be cruising to Cozumel. I have contact the following accessible travel company. I am considering them for an accessible tour because they have a van that can take me and my scooter. I suggest you contact them about your ports. Hope this helps

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/

Aruba and Curacao should be easy to scoot off the ship and around town. WE just left Curacao and everything was flat. WE kept running into a fellow passenger who is in a power chair. In Aruba yesterday and they have a new permanent straw market and a trolley route around town. Don't know the full route, and didn't get a good enough views of the trolleys to see if they were accessible. EM

I was in Limon too many years ago and really do not remember. All the other ports are doable, but sidewalks may or may not have curb cutouts, thus you might have to alter your route or ride a couple blocks in the street. Also, you might experience cobble stones or some other form of bumpy ride.

Montego Bay had an accessible shuttle bus into town. However, do not go alone and stay in the main part of town. Cartagena we made a round trip deal with a taxi and he put our scooters in the trunk. Aruba, Curacao and Cozumel are all pretty easy.

In Aruba if you want to go outside the town area, the taxis are fairly reasonable and they will put a small mobility scooter in the trunk. We recently took a taxi round trip to the Donkey Sanctuary and asked him to drop us off at Wilhelmina Park on our way back. It is a short distance from the park back to the ship and you get to see everything in between. Oh, if the donkeys are of interest to you, confiscate some pears and apples from the ship (in secret - we are not suppose to take food ashore, that is a No No!). The donkeys sure enjoyed them.

Since the Miracle is a small ship, there is a chance it might dock downtown Cozumel. However, if you dock at the at the other terminals, you can take a taxi into town. They have reasonable taxi rates to anyplace on the island. The taxi rates are posted, but they normally add in $5 for the scooter. If you go to the ruins, the taxi use to be round trip (recommend verifying). However, if you go to Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park or down town, the taxi fair is one way. The last time we went to the ruins, they had stepping stones, thus we did not get to see much. If interested, suggest you ask before making the trip.

In Curacao it is just a bit over ½ mile from the ship across the Queen Emma Bridge into town. Very easy to get around town.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I will be on a carnival cruise going to these ports can you tell me if there is anything to see or that I can do in these ports using my scooter.. This is my first time using one so I can really use advice.. I suppose they dont have any excursions for me because of the scooter but just thought I would see what advice you all have for these ports.. what to see and where to go and what to buy?? thank you Cozumel Mexico......Limon Costa Rica.....Cartagena Columbia......Aruba.......Curacao......Montego Bay, Jamacia...:)

You can scoot off at Aruba and Curacao (you can go all the way to the floating bridge and over it) for sure. Also do a YouTube search for "__[port name]____ cruise ship pier". Some of the YouTube videos give a good idea of what's right off the ship. Here's one of Montego Bay taken from the ship.

By the way, have you contacted Carnival's Access Department to let them know you will have a scooter? You can also check with their accessible shore excursion department to see what they offer for tours for people with scooters.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users.aspx