Will I have access to a wheelchair?

RachaelBelle

We sail on Oasis on 9/9 and I have ordered a scooter from Special Needs at Sea. I have a collagen disorder that affects how far I can walk, stamina, etc. My question is: while waiting for my scooter to show up in the room will I have access to a wheelchair? I'm a little nervous about trying to walk all over such a large ship. I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks and happy cruising.[emoji4][emoji572]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

no. they will bring you on board in a chair but you are dropped off at a public spot( typically the same general location as where you board) and left on your own as they will need the chairs to board others. getting to your cabin( and anywhere else) will be on your own. the cabin will be accessible by 1 pm and the scooter should already be there.

What time are you planning on boarding? Rooms are usually ready by 1pm. My husband's scooter has always been in the room when we got there, which is usually when the rooms are first available.

If you're on board prior to rooms being available, I agree with the suggestion of having someone in your party going to your room once it's available to get the scooter to bring it to you. Note: once the rooms are available there are tons if people on the elevators so it will take a while to bring the scooter to you.

By the way, we have been on a few cruises where Special Needs at Sea had a kiosk outside the terminal where you pick up your scooter instead of in your room. Super handy because you have the scooter immediately .

• 2 weeks later...

Most cruise lines are infatic on their web sites WHEELCHAIRS ARE FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL USE ONLY. Pretty sure the reason is insurance coverage, but the result is the same. The "port cruise center" may be providing the the actual chair, but it's used to deliver you on the ship only.

Thank you all for your help. We returned from our cruise on 9/16/18 after having a fantastic time. They did use a wheelchair to get me on ship but dropped me on the Promenade deck as soon as I was on board. My husband and I decided to just take it very slow and not do very much until I had access to my scooter. While it did take awhile to get to our cabin since I move so slowly, it could have been much worse. Thankfully I was dropped off in the forward portion of the ship and that was where our cabin was. In the end, everything figured itself out and I really didn't need to worry.

Happy cruising![emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app