Carry On Luggage Advice

Keith1010

Hi Keith

We have Briggs & Riley bags. They are pricey but they also come with a lifetime guarantee. We bought our pieces when they went on sale.

They have a range of carry-ons that give you options. We have their international carryon that is roomy in part because the handle mechanism is on the outside. It is a spinner but i use it either as a spinner or on 2 wheels depending on the circumstances. Ours is an older version and doesn't have any outside pockets but the newer ones do. It has some pockets as well as zippered areas inside.

I use this suitcase when i am travelling up to a week as it holds so much. When we fly on some of the smaller jets that have terrible overhead bins it will fit when many other smaller looking ones don't.

Good luck in your search.

I’m really enjoying this thread as I travel about 6-8 times a year and these are great suggestions . Also, I’d like to add that I appreciate the nice respectful answers Keith is getting. [emoji3] just nice conversation !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m really enjoying this thread as I travel about 6-8 times a year and these are great suggestions . Also, I’d like to add that I appreciate the nice respectful answers Keith is getting. [emoji3] just nice conversation !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree. Luggage discussions are not quite as contentious as what to wear in the dining room! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided that it is easier to book a cruise or a flight then decide on the carry on luggage.

I've looked at some products in the stores and other ones on line.

In fact, just ordered two different brands on line (two wheels not four wheels) and hopefully one will work out.

What I thought was disappointing is that the companies call many of their products carry on when by their own measurement factoring in handles and the like they won't match many of the airline requirements and that even includes USA airlines.

I will report back if one of these works out.

I appreciate all the advice.

Keith

I have decided that it is easier to book a cruise or a flight then decide on the carry on luggage.
It's only difficult if you intend to buy something that basically maximises the amount you're allowed to take on board, so that it's more an additional piece of luggage than a true carry-on.

It is dead simple if you have a small bag that's way under the maximum size limit, holds only the minimum essentials that must be carried on, and will fit under the seat in front of you if you need to put it there. No shopping angst, and no boarding angst.

Mine was designed as a laptop backpack, although ironically I rarely take a laptop with me. Notwithstanding that it will fit under the seat in front of me, it will easily hold enough stuff for a 3-day trip.

Globaliser, good point but I do like to maximize the space in my carry on (but stay within the limits) and also take one personal item as well.

My wife and I go on some very long cruises so for me it's not about saving money to avoid checked luggage.

I carry mostly items in my carry on that are electronics and valuables and on the long trips my personal item is a camera bag where I carry several cameras and lenses.

When I traveled for business on the short trips that was a different story.

Again I am respectful on what the limits are and am amazed at the size of what people bring on flights such as the person who I can tell who has a carry on that is larger then what is allowed and then there personal items is a carry on.

I think I probably have to many gadgets but I guess that is me having come from a career in the technical industry.

Keith

DH and I have the Ebags Motherlode junior 2-wheeled bags. They recently came out with a 4-wheel version, but I've never liked the 4-wheelers. They are terrific bags, with great capacity, especially if you use their packing cubes for your clothing.

They are a bit heavy empty, at 8 pounds. For US legacy carriers and BA, they are fine - the carryon weight is 40-50 pounds - but for many international airlines they might need to be checked as the stated maximum weight is 8kg or so. (We've only had that issue in Africa; most airlines haven't weighed our bags).

I'm looking for a good personal item bag that will carry my growing DSLR lens collection (only two, but the second one will be a 200-500mm bad girl) and assorted other items.

I'm looking for a good personal item bag that will carry my growing DSLR lens collection (only two, but the second one will be a 200-500mm bad girl) and assorted other items.

Start with Lowepro and work from there. My photography buddies swear by them (including a couple professionals). Find a few Lowepro possibles and use them as a baseline - see if anything else beats them in terms of what YOU want your bag to accomplish.

Which again brings up that old truth....what's important for YOU??

I am three weeks into an eight week trip with my Eagle Creek 20" carry on duffle roller. We only travel with a carry on each. I really like it. No front pockets, a small side pocket at the top.

I very much like the fact that the sides are not structured. I find it easier to pack. The wheels(2) are a huge improvement over my previous bag. It is very light.

I bought it on line and was not sure that I liked it when it arrived. Now....I would buy it again in a flash.

DW uses a Rick Steves carry on roller. Used it for several years, two extended trips per year, and it still looks new and pulls well. It is also the international carry on size...slightly smaller than North American Airlines max carry on size.

Another really good one are the ones made by Think Tank. They come in all sizes. I got one on the recommendation of a cruising friend who is also a professional photographer and it holds two DSLR's, a couple of point and shoots, a couple of lenses and extra batteries, memory cards and a few other items. Lots of choices.

Keith

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I ended up ordering two different brands and will make the final decision shortly keeping one and returning the other one and will post it in a few weeks.

I did learn that I could not find that "perfect" bag for myself. I liked features in about five different bags but couldn't find them all in one bag.

I also confirmed how way off the description of the size of the bags are and really think the manufacturer's should get this right. If you say it is x size with wheels or handles or it is x size without wheels and handles included it is not rocket science to then provide the accurate measurements but I l confirmed that most do not do this properly.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I got a Travelpro carryon (2 wheel) on clearance from Sierra Trading Post at least 15 years ago that is still going strong. It switched me over to all Travelpro luggage. I will say I got the Magna 29 inch spinner and on its first trip a wheel broke. I know there is lifetime replacement, but there is no factory around here so I will have to ship it out. I also bought a padded neoprene zipper bag that I put my Kindle in when I travel and have been very happy with it.

samamama, thanks for your recommendation.

The interesting thing about Travelpro is that we do use them for the 28" and 29" luggage and have done so for many years.

We like a bag with a suiter and they have those 29" and 29" suiters.

We did order two different 22" pieces and while each one had several features that we liked neither one was the size that they said it would be and technically would not comply with the rules so we returned each one. What attracted us to try them was the value and the features but we sent them both back.

I will post more about the one I am going to go with after our next cruise.

We are just back from 10 days in Sydney, Australia but for that trip I took the carry on I have used for the last several years.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Count me as another vote for a 2-wheeler. Besides the extra space, the wheels are usually much larger diameter and more durable than the spinner wheels. Also, 2-wheel bags don't roll around like spinners on buses, trains, uneven pavement, etc.

My girlfriend and I travel frequently and only use carry-ons. We've had the Delsey Helium Sky 22x14x9 for about 5 years and they've held up well. A small number of airlines have a 21.5" max size but there is enough "give" to squish them down into a 21.5" sizer if you had to. Weight is about 7 pounds empty. Can be found regularly for around $80 and occasionally <$60.

https://shop.delsey.com/product/sky-20/2-wheeled-carryon-luggage-403281720_1?attribute=755af9b9-fbe0-4d1d-8ef6-d1b71fbddb8c

Edited by rsachek

I have used both Think Tank and Lowepro for my camera needs. Both have advantages. Service on the Lowepro was A+ after a wheel broke. They FedExed a new one the next day. Prefer the 1/2 size roller ones when cruising -- less attention that there is a camera inside plus weighs less. A full size one with multiple bodies, and lenses will weigh over 25 pounds. (I have both). Flying from Antarctica they weighed the carry-on and of course mine was overweight.

I use carryon's exclusively for my business needs. Seldom check luggage -- except for a non stop -- which are rare trips.

I have two. Tumi is my favorite and my current one has 1M + miles on it. Two wheels. Looks brand new. Mechanically super strong. Two pouches in the front. One for my plastic liquid bag to easily take out for Xray, the other can fit my Surface Pro or XPS 13 computer. The big negative for Tumi is weight. I fly alot on Austrian and LH and the gate matrons have a habit of weighing my bag. I am usually in business so I get a break but they have a 8KG limit and when filled it is more like 10KG.

My second bag is a Brios lightweight 4 wheeler. Nice thing is it is light. Saves 1.5 KG in weight over the Tumi. Disadvantage is that the 4 wheels do make the interior smaller. Can also hold my Surface pro too.

Tumi - can fit 5 five days of underclothes, 3 dress shirts, 1 Polo shirt, two suits, 1 slacks, 1 pair of lofers.

Brios -- only can do 4 days plus 1 suit.

You can sometimes get a great deal on Tumi -- on EBay.

Just did seven weeks with my new Eagle Creek carry on. Very pleased. Took 6-7 days of clothes. We did 6 flights in Asia plus small ferrys, trains, minibus, etc. No issues whatsoever.

When it arrived (online purchase), I was not sure. Now, after two short trips and a 7 week trip I am very happy with it. Weighed out at 8.1kg. Perfect.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for your advice.

In the end I decided on two pieces of luggage.

For the carry-on I went with the Briggs & Riley Pilot Carry On. It has a lot of areas to keep items so I like that.

416ZzGJImtL._SY90_.jpg

For a personal item I went with a Briggs & Riley Backpack. Once again a lot of separate areas. That is what I needed as well.

51TPkrNS%252BZL.jpg

We used them on our recent cruise. It included a pre cruise stay at Disneyland (yes Disneyland). I knew from experience that I would not be able to check into the hotel when we arrived. I was able to get into the backpack my computer, small camera, my wife's jewelry and a seance set of meds for her just in case something happened to the first set of meds, important file folders, money including foreign currency, and several other items.

What I learned is I couldn't find a carry on that met all of my goals. For example inside the large area of the carry on it didn't have individual zippers where I could place some of my electronic cords so I took FlyerTalker's suggestion and purchased some small cases to insert into the carry on.

I also confirmed that the measurements provided by manufacturers are not always right. I know this is not a surprise but there were a couple of companies that surprised me that were way off the mark.

Thanks again for those who provided input to me.

Keith

Keep in mind that if you plan on travelling outside North America, the carry on standard in Europe and Asia seems to be 20" on most of the many regional airlines that we have been on.

Spinners are fine if you are going from home-airport to hotel. If you are doing independent land travel-planes, trains, ferry, buses/rentals etc. spinners do not work nearly as well as two good wheels. Most especially, as the OP points out, on cobblestones, uneven pavement, and carpet. Plus they are prone to break.

Good luck. Since moving to carry on five years ago after retiring we given away some of our older, larger luggage. The 25" heavy stuff has not been out of storage in five years. We use it to store things in. We find carry on so liberating and we can handle it independently from a physical perspective.

1982cruzstart, yes, I was very pleased that they worked out. I researched a lot, went to various stores and it worked out well.

iancal, after a lot of input from CC and looking at carry on bags I didn't go with a spinner and the major reason was that it ate into the size of the carry on. With the spinner to account for the length of the wheels I would have to have a carry on with less room. The 22" size I have will be fine. The airlines we use both domestically and internationally accept that size.

We do have several spinners for checked bags and they are 28: and 29". We don't push luggage other than from time to time inside a hotel if we can manage without help and at the airport. Other than that we have private vehicles take us between locations.

Keith

We travel frequently and usually it is independent travel. Physical capabilities was one of the main reasons to go with carry on

Our decision was re-enforced when we first started to spend winters travelling through Thailand/SE Asia and saw many people struggle to lift 25 and even 29 inch bags across ferry decks, over the side of fast ferries. Also in Italy up and down the stairs in train stations or onto train baggage racks. Cruises are typically an add on to our land travels so that this is what we typically end up with on a cruise.

At first we wished we could take more clothes. Now we are thankful that we are restricted because it make our travel and our travel preparations so much easier.

iancal, like most things in the end each person will figure out what works best for them.

I only shared what we ended up buying since I started this thread, asked for input, got a lot of input and just wanted everyone to know that the input was appreciated and that I did follow through and got the carry on. In my case I originally asked about a carry on but also got the back pack which meets most airline requirements for a personal bag.

The good news is I am very pleased with both bags.

Keith

What I learned is I couldn't find a carry on that met all of my goals. For example inside the large area of the carry on it didn't have individual zippers where I could place some of my electronic cords so I took FlyerTalker's suggestion and purchased some small cases to insert into the carry on.

You are very welcome. The "bag in a bag" concept has worked well for me for years. Pouches for charging wires, pouches for audio, for tablet/phone, for glasses/pens/combs (aka the stuff that falls out of your pocket when you sleep on a plane). Depending on the airline, business class amenity kits can work great. DL used to give out a cylindrical kit, which now works great for coiled up wires. They also had a clamshell in the triangular shape of their logo - which was completely useless for later travel needs. And if you use several for the same trip, here's a tip....put different colored cable zip-ties on the zippers (clipping off the long excess), so you have a color coding that saves opening each bag to know what's inside.

Now, you just have to remember what color means what. :D

You should be quite happy with your B&R for a number of years.