Site with statistics for flightcancellations?

sverigecruiser

Does anyone know if there is a website where I can find statistics about flightcancellations?

More specific I'm interested in knowing if there is a higher risk of cancellations because of bad weather (in this case mainly because of snow) in January and early February than in late February and early March. (Airports ARN and LHR)

We have a cruise booked March 3 next Year but yesterday I found out that it's partly a charter cruise and I don't want that. They have a cruise with the same itinerary February 10 which I might try to change to if possible but I'm a little worried about the weather.

(With the winter we have this Year earlier was probably better so there are no guarantees but I'm interested in the statistics!)

May I make one suggestion.

History is nice but if the weather is bad the day you fly ghat is what is key.

And we see each year that weather patterns change. In other words we have seen snow storms in November in some places that rarely has them or even in March/April.

My recommendation is whatever you do I would fly in a couple of days before your cruise so that options are available if the weather turns bad or for that reason there are other issues.

Keith

More specific I'm interested in knowing if there is a higher risk of cancellations because of bad weather (in this case mainly because of snow) in January and early February than in late February and early March. (Airports ARN and LHR)
So far as LHR is concerned, any statistics will be useless for these purposes. Weather incidents that result in many cancellations are so random and infrequent that it's useless to try to base decisions on when these might occur. And such weather incidents can occur throughout the year, although obviously they won't be because of snow if it's summer time.

I remember someone recently quoting the old one about 100 statisticians crossing a river that was, on average, one foot deep: half of them drowned.

May I make one suggestion.

History is nice but if the weather is bad the day you fly ghat is what is key.

And we see each year that weather patterns change. In other words we have seen snow storms in November in some places that rarely has them or even in March/April.

My recommendation is whatever you do I would fly in a couple of days before your cruise so that options are available if the weather turns bad or for that reason there are other issues.

Keith

Thanks. We will absolutely fly a couple of days before the cruise.

So far as LHR is concerned, any statistics will be useless for these purposes. Weather incidents that result in many cancellations are so random and infrequent that it's useless to try to base decisions on when these might occur. And such weather incidents can occur throughout the year, although obviously they won't be because of snow if it's summer time.

I remember someone recently quoting the old one about 100 statisticians crossing a river that was, on average, one foot deep: half of them drowned.

Thanks. It sounds like weather incidents are very rare so I guess we don't have to worry about it.

Thanks. It sounds like weather incidents are very rare so I guess we don't have to worry about it.
In fact, I've just realised the date. It's 1 March today, and we are right in the middle of one of the most severe winter weather events for many years, with lots of short-haul cancellations now starting to spread to long-haul flights. If it's going to happen (and it sometimes does), it'll happen; early Feb or late Feb really makes no difference for planning purposes. As Keith1010 says, it's more important to have contingency planning in place for your actual trip.

Although as others said, weather can be unpredictable, to answer your question, this site in Table 8 will answer your question for December 2017. https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/resources/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/304371/2018februaryatcr_0.pdf

Good data, as always.

Unfortunately, it won't help with looking at delays/cancellations at ARN or LHR. And since the OP doesn't mention which USA airports are involved....

Good data, as always.

Unfortunately, it won't help with looking at delays/cancellations at ARN or LHR. And since the OP doesn't mention which USA airports are involved....

Good point, but it's a tradeoff between data over a long period of time for US carriers vs. short-term data for International carriers/airports. For example, for today, some 20% of the flights were cancelled at LHR and only 4% at ARN. https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/

This information is easily available on a daily basis, but I'm less sure about getting it over a longer period of time.

Although as others said, weather can be unpredictable, to answer your question, this site in Table 8 will answer your question for December 2017. https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/resources/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/304371/2018februaryatcr_0.pdf

Thanks for that line. Even if it doesn't help me now it was interesting.

I guess it depends on how you define "rare." Every year there are multiple weather incidents, although they may not occur in the same parts of the country. BUT, weather anywhere can affect flights anywhere else in the country. Say you're flying from BOS to MIA and the weather is great in both places. Your aircraft will be coming from somewhere else though that might be in a huge weather incident. Same for your crew.

We will fly to Miami.

See above