Is Alitalia really that bad?

nini

Since we have not travelled to Europe very much, I am interested in your comment about connecting in Europe vs the US. Can you explain?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We fly from LAX and I greatly prefer to find an overnight flight to London or the continent (Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, for example) with a short ongoing flight to our final destination vs flying from LAX to JFK/Dulles/Atlanta and taking an overnight from there, which gets into the final destination in the morning.

If I leave in the evening, then on a 10 hour flight I can have a meal (or not, if I've had dinner already) and get a good 5-7 hours of sleep before landing. Then I don't have too much trouble staying awake until the connecting flight. I arrive at the final stop in the evening or at night, so can have a light dinner and get to bed at a reasonable time. It's not the most restful sleep, but I adjust to the local time much better than if I land in the morning and struggle to stay awake all day.

In August we'll be flying LAX-London, laying over for 4.5 hours, then on to Copenhagen, arriving at 10:00pm. I will add that we always try to be in business class, either on miles or a good one-way rate, to increase the odds of a good sleep on the plane.

We fly from LAX and I greatly prefer to find an overnight flight to London or the continent (Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, for example) with a short ongoing flight to our final destination vs flying from LAX to JFK/Dulles/Atlanta and taking an overnight from there, which gets into the final destination in the morning.

If I leave in the evening, then on a 10 hour flight I can have a meal (or not, if I've had dinner already) and get a good 5-7 hours of sleep before landing. Then I don't have too much trouble staying awake until the connecting flight. I arrive at the final stop in the evening or at night, so can have a light dinner and get to bed at a reasonable time. It's not the most restful sleep, but I adjust to the local time much better than if I land in the morning and struggle to stay awake all day.

In August we'll be flying LAX-London, laying over for 4.5 hours, then on to Copenhagen, arriving at 10:00pm. I will add that we always try to be in business class, either on miles or a good one-way rate, to increase the odds of a good sleep on the plane.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Are Lingus SEA to Rome via Dublin 10/12 with return 10/22 = $750 RT. Don't get too excited though. The 10/12 flight arrives 10/13.

Because most are red eye (overnight) flights, most US to Europe flights arrive the next day.

If I leave in the evening, then on a 10 hour flight I can have a meal (or not, if I've had dinner already) and get a good 5-7 hours of sleep before landing. .

Additionally, if yiu connect in the US arrive directly off your transatlantic flight in your final destination city, its likely to be early-mid morning and your hotel wont be ready. if you connect in Europe, that eats up a few am hours, increasing the chance tht when you get to your hotel you can actually check in and have access to your room to shower, change, etc

• 3 weeks later...
I am searching for air for our October Mediterranean cruise and the cheapest

on Choice Air is always involving Alitalia- a very significant difference.

Any experiences? I hear that they lose lots of luggage and have trouble being

on time.

THX!

We have flown Alitalia ( premium economy) from Rome to Miami and much to our shock and surprise found them to be very good. No lost luggage for us! We actually arrived early. We booked them against everyone's advice but the flight was convenient and non-stop. All I could think of before hand was the old joke about why the Pope kisses the ground after getting off Alitalia. All this to say we would not hesitate to fly them again.