Dining - Odyssey - Evening hours of operation.....

Mabers

Thanks so much for posting this.....it has confirmed our worst (almost) fears. Had we known when we were booking that the first available time to eat in the dining room was/is 7 PM, it might well have been a deal breaker. We never even thought to ask!

Jackie and I have almost 100 cruises between us (this will our first on Seabourn), and never have we heard of a dining room not opening until 7 PM.....some start seating at 5:30! There isn't even an alternative other than eating in our suite - not something we care to do. We have booked one night in The Grill, but there are 11 more nights!

As for the shows not starting 'til 9:45, that's a whole other problem!

Oh well, at this point I guess we will just have to suck it up, but it sure has taken the edge off the anticipation that precedes every cruise.

Sheila.

My husband and I are early eaters too. We were among the first people to be seated in the dining room at 7 pm every night! Note that dinner is not rushed and we weren't done until around 8:30 or 9 in the evening.

Also - there is a wonderful selection of movies that you can watch in your suite. We pretty much skipped the nightly entertainment and enjoyed quiet nights in our beautiful suite.

• 2 months later...

They need to offer options for those who like to dine early between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m instead of all of the dinners being served at 7:30 p.m. (I had a 7:30 p.m. dinner that table didn't finish entrees at 10 p.m. which is too late to eat.)

Since they offer Andrew Weil classes onboard, and he recommends not eating a big meal late at night,

it makes sense that they would have an option available for dining early.

Only option for eating early is in your room every night; and they offer the same items each night for those who want to eat early in their room.

Many of the customers are from U.S. and Canada who would enjoy an early dining option.

They need to offer options for those who like to dine early between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m .................

Many of the customers are from U.S. and Canada who would enjoy an early dining option.

Not me. If I was hungry there's afternoon tea or caviar to tide me over until 7.

As usual, you cannot please all the people all the time.

While many guests are from the USA and Canada, many are also from Europe where eating at 8.00pm or later is quite normal. And not everyone from the USA wants to eat between 5.00pm and 6.00pm.

As it is, the TK Grill opens at 6.00pm. One day, we missed lunch due to a tour and went 'on spec' to the TK Grill. No problem getting in at 6.15pm and it was empty until 7.15pm.

I seriously doubt that there is a significant demand for dining between 5.00pm and 6.00pm.

On Crystal they do offer dining at 6 p.m. and it is the most popular time and is on waitlist, while the 8 p.m. time is less popular.

Early dining is the most popular time on most cruises as many people enjoy going to the shows and events after early dinner.

The TK grill does offer the 6 p.m. time but limits visits to one or two reservations per cruise.

I would be surprised if Seaborne guests all want late dining, since many also cruise with Crystal and other ships.

Yes, I think you can please everyone, just offer at least one of the dinner options that opens at 6 p.m. instead of 7:30 p.m.

For those guests that may be watching their weight; the answer isn't to go to tea and eat at 4 pm; so they can eat another meal a large dinner finishing around 10 p.m. (and I think it is offensive for those who comment that if they are watching their weight they shouldn't travel on a cruise) from many comments on cruise critic it is evident that many people enjoy an early dinner

It seems that Crystal is an option that works very well for you. Likewise Seabourn is an option that works very well for many of us.

I imagine I’d find myself quite bored on a line where everyone concludes their evening activities early. Likewise, I am not a great fit for some of the lines where the fun doesn’t start until 10 or 11 pm.

Operationally, Seabourn doesn’t carry enough food/beverage staff to not only accommodate covering multiple venues simultaneously (you’ll note that many staff will be seen interchangeably in multiple venues as the afternoon/evening/night progresses) but also allow those workers a dinner break of their own in the crew mess.

Given the way event unfold on most days on Seabourn, I can’t imagine rushing to eat a meal at 6 pm - having to hurry back in from port, miss sailaway and/or afternoon tea and/or special pre-dinner events, and have to do it with staff stretched thin just to eat a mere 30-60 minutes earlier.

I am quite surprised that some people like to eat their evening meal at 5 or 5.30p.m. We like to dine fairly early, ev en though we are from the UK, but find 7 is quite early enough, after spending a day of up to 6 p.m. doing various things, going back to the suite to change and having one or two drinks in the bar before dinner. We do find the hour for the show a bit late - 9.15 or so would suit us better, but I have to admit I cannot imagine having to change into evening togs before 6 or so.

If you like to eat so early, do you then go to bed very early, or how do you fill the rest of the evening?

On Crystal they do offer dining at 6 p.m. and it is the most popular time and is on waitlist, while the 8 p.m. time is less popular.

Early dining is the most popular time on most cruises as many people enjoy going to the shows and events after early dinner.

The TK grill does offer the 6 p.m. time but limits visits to one or two reservations per cruise.

I would be surprised if Seaborne guests all want late dining, since many also cruise with Crystal and other ships.

Yes, I think you can please everyone, just offer at least one of the dinner options that opens at 6 p.m. instead of 7:30 p.m.

For those guests that may be watching their weight; the answer isn't to go to tea and eat at 4 pm; so they can eat another meal a large dinner finishing around 10 p.m. (and I think it is offensive for those who comment that if they are watching their weight they shouldn't travel on a cruise) from many comments on cruise critic it is evident that many people enjoy an early dinner

From my experience, the TK Grill does not limit reservations. On our recent 36 day cruise, we ate there 6 times (which was sufficient for us given the relatively limited menu). We were only able to make one pre-cruise reservation but once on the cruise we were able to make others.

We all have different preferences/habits on when we like to dine. There's no right answer, but there is a problem with Seabourn. Seabourn is an American company with a large north American clientele. The fact is most Americans tend to eat dinner between 5 - 7. Seabourn should provide at least one dining venue (not room service) that's available at 6:00. This should be as simple as recognizing who a larger percentage of your customers are and meeting their needs. I'ts one of the few negatives we've found cruising with Seabourn.

I live in the USA and "get it" to an earlier dining time. This is a lifestyle. However, even though I follow this lifestyle religiously while in my home, the whole lifestyle changes while in a cruise. Maybe the first two days are difficult, but then you adapt. Especially since the second day is usually a formal night, and you go see a show, and you tend to sleep in later (unless you have an early tour...gads!). Like most US passengers, I tend not to eat between meals...but somehow the whole vibe keeps me sane until 7:30pm. Just go with the flow, and you will have a great time!!

For my part I think most people sailing on Seabourn are fine with the hours as they are. I also think the crew work hard enough and value that break from food service during the afternoon for a few hours to sleep or catch up with other things. I would hate to deprive them of that.

As to the weight issue and dining late......I eat late at home as well and I am slim, I think portion size and food choices are more important. JMHO

Julie

The most popular time to dine on any Seabourn ship seems to be 7.30-7.45pm

And 8.00pm is also a close second

If 6 isn't an option, that's a biased result. You can't choose what doesn't exist, right?

Also, are there data available or is that your perception? As much as Cruise Critic is about member opinions & sharing information, the plural of anecdote is not data.....

We all have different preferences/habits on when we like to dine. There's no right answer, but there is a problem with Seabourn. Seabourn is an American company with a large north American clientele. The fact is most Americans tend to eat dinner between 5 - 7. Seabourn should provide at least one dining venue (not room service) that's available at 6:00. This should be as simple as recognizing who a larger percentage of your customers are and meeting their needs. I'ts one of the few negatives we've found cruising with Seabourn.

Your "fact" is incorrect and misleading.

I live in the US and I do not know anyone who dines between 5 and 7. If anything we dine later than 7, which, incidentally, is the time that most restaurants open for dinner. I also have never heard anyone on Seabourn who voiced a desire to dine earlier.

On our recent transatlantic trip the clientele was overwhelmingly British so it doesn’t matter that Seabourn is a US company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have also sailed on a number cruises when people from the USA were not in fact in the majority. There were mainly from the UK, a large number of Australians and quite a few from mainland Europe.

One of the reasons I enjoy sailing on Seabourn is the diverse international clientele.:)

Julie

Your "fact" is incorrect and misleading.

I live in the US and I do not know anyone who dines between 5 and 7. If anything we dine later than 7, which, incidentally, is the time that most restaurants open for dinner. I also have never heard anyone on Seabourn who voiced a desire to dine earlier.

When I was still working, I was lucky to be home by 7pm, let alone have dinner by then.

The most popular time to dine on any Seabourn ship seems to be 7.30-7.45pm

And 8.00pm is also a close second

Seabourn guests are a social lot and like to have a cocktail or two from 6.30pm before going to dinner

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Agree. Even though we eat early at home, on the ship it is totally different. The Observation or TK bar is too inviting, listening to the singers and having a drink. .... can’t wait ...

Sorry, but one size doesn't fit all. People have different lifestyles, preferences and even health reasons for when they prefer to eat. I suffer occasionally from gastroesophageal reflux disease, so for health reasons I usually eat earlier in the evening, having been advised that I can reduce occurrence of esophageal irritation if I don't eat within three hours of going to sleep. A leisurely dinner starting at 8pm means either a late night or a risky night for me - especially if I do so multiple nights in a row.

Sorry, but one size doesn't fit all. People have different lifestyles, preferences and even health reasons for when they prefer to eat. I suffer occasionally from gastroesophageal reflux disease, so for health reasons I usually eat earlier in the evening, having been advised that I can reduce occurrence of esophageal irritation if I don't eat within three hours of going to sleep. A leisurely dinner starting at 8pm means either a late night or a risky night for me - especially if I do so multiple nights in a row.

One size does not fit all. But there are constraints and especially on a smaller cruise ship like the Seabourn ones. They include when most guests prefer to eat, the availability of crew to staff longer opening hours while still offering service in the bars and lounges, the capacity of the galleys, etc. etc..

Compared to some cruise ships where you are constrained by set meal times, Seabourn offers a pretty flexible schedule. You can eat pretty much from 6pm (TK Grill) until well after 8pm. There is also 24 hour room service availability.

They do say, however, that there is a cruise line for every taste. Guests for whom early eating is a deal breaker may be better suited to a different cruise line. I know this is not something some people want to hear. But there is the reality that you really cannot please all the people all the time. Compromises need to be made and maybe that includes eating a bit later than you might prefer.

From my experience, the TK Grill does not limit reservations. On our recent 36 day cruise, we ate there 6 times (which was sufficient for us given the relatively limited menu). We were only able to make one pre-cruise reservation but once on the cruise we were able to make others.

Every cruise must be different then, we were on a 19 day cruise and had such trouble even getting one reservation. The website wouldn't let me book, (every day I tried said there wasn't availabiity) when on board every time I rang for a booking in the next few days they were full, and it was only us going there in person and saying to the Reservations Manager how disappointed we would be to not experience TK Grill on our cruise that got us our one reservation.

Personally we are happy to eat 7.30pm onwards when on a cruise. When at home we eat earlier, but we spend a lot of time in Spain and it's not unusual for us to make dinner reservations for 10pm! Over in the mediterranean, families go out for meals at this time, often you get lovely little Spanish tots sat on high chairs eating mussels or squid or anything going at 11pm at night!

When one prefers to dine is a choice based on many factors, not an issue that is right or wrong. All the cheerleaders for luxury cruise lines often repeat that the dining experience includes dining when, where and with whom you want. When the restaurants for dinner are open for seating from 7 to 9 that seems a bit limiting. JMHO.

I have a feeling that the hours of at least the main dining rooms of the small luxury ships are normally fairly restricted - in fact some do not serve dinner before 7.30. On the large ships with many restaurants and far more staff you would no doubt find somewhere to eat at earlier and probably later hours. As has already been said, staff have to double up, particularly the bar and wine services, and I for one appreciate that the wait staff all earn and need a short rest period between lunch - they often do not finish until about 3 p.m., then having their own early dinner and being on duty again before 7. Most of them admit they just have a sleep in the afternoons, which is unusual for young energetic people. IMO the food waiting staff on Seabourn generally have the longest working hours overall of anyone onboard.

I hope you never travel to Spain.