Cruising Panama Canal with 9 and 11 year old daughters? Is it safe?

tallnthensome

Help me put my worries to rest. We are booked on the NCl Bliss next March. In your opinion, is it safe to take my daughters with us? I'm not worried about being on the ship. We would like to take tours (ship and private) in some of the ports. We would only book with highly reputable tour companies. Is it safe for them? I will do everything to protect my kids but I want them to experience the world. I have fears of them being abducted with us on a tour and I'm a big guy at 6'7" 245 lbs. Am I being ridiculous? Would you NOT take your kids on this cruise for safety reasons?

I hope so and thank you! They've done four Caribbean cruises so far and we plan on doing something different. I know there won't be many kids on 15 day Panama Canal. I just worry about Guatamala's kidnapping and sex trafficking issues. I have these terrible visions of armed men and, well, you get the idea. My kids safety is the highest priority for me. I'm sure I'm just being a bit Too worrisome. We've been working and saving very hard for this expensive cruise and we want to enjoy every minute of it.

Never felt unsafe in Guatemala..or are you seeing things about east coast ports? I've been to Antigua, Guatemala three times and find it vastly interesting. It would be very educational for your girls. EM

Just never let them walk too far ahead and you should be ok. Make sure you read books on the Panama Canal before you leave. It’ll mean a lot more to them when they see it in person. Verizon also sells wrist watches for kids that have gps in them if that’ll make you feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't plan on wondering off on our own anywhere and that includes at night. CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Miami (Florida); Cartagena (Colombia); Puntarenas (Costa Rica); Puerto Quetzal (Guatemala); Puerto Chiapas (Mexico); Manzanillo (Mexico); Puerto Vallarta (Mexico); DISEMBARK Los Angeles (California).

Let me begin by saying that like many places there are places I would not wonder on your own and I would say it for one person, a couple or a family. Things happen and that includes in cities in the USA.

Yes, you can plan tours for these ports of call and feel safe. With that said, leave jewelry and other valuables on the ship.

There are a couple of places you could go off on your own but if you are concerned about that just stick with private tours and ship tours.

For private tours we do some research on the ports of call board (eg., for Cartagena visit the Colombia ports of call board) but I also do a lot of research using Trip Advisor as I can fine a wise range of tours and also read the reviews.

Keith