days in port - dining room?

suec12

We often eat off the ship on port days but if we choose to stay on the ship (Ruby) will a dining room be open or is the buffet the only option. It seems lately people have really been dissing the buffet.

I believe the MDR may be open (see your patter), but note they will have a dress code still. We tried to do breakfast one day in the Caribbean and DH was not allowed in with shorts and a sleeveless shirt. It was by no means one of those skinny tank tops more like a muscle tank where it came to edge of shoulder or a bit over and he was told he had to go put a collared shirt on. Another option would be the IC or the pizza place or grill by the pool.

I believe the MDR may be open (see your patter), but note they will have a dress code still. We tried to do breakfast one day in the Caribbean and DH was not allowed in with shorts and a sleeveless shirt. It was by no means one of those skinny tank tops more like a muscle tank where it came to edge of shoulder or a bit over and he was told he had to go put a collared shirt on. Another option would be the IC or the pizza place or grill by the pool.

So it was the shirt that was the problem? I've done breakfast and lunch in the MDRs in shorts plenty of time.

So it was the shirt that was the problem? I've done breakfast and lunch in the MDRs in shorts plenty of time.

Yes, he was allowed to keep his shorts but the top he couldn't do...meanwhile I was let in with shorts, normal gal tank and flip flops..seems a bit off. I mean sometimes I don't want to see female or male in that attire while eating...but that they singled him out and the MDR was basically empty was just odd. It was ok we ended up not caring for it...it is a long drawn out process like at dinner and we just want that at dinner and prefer quicker meals through the rest of the day...

We often eat off the ship on port days but if we choose to stay on the ship (Ruby) will a dining room be open or is the buffet the only option. It seems lately people have really been dissing the buffet.
It has been several years since we have seen the MDR open for lunch when the ship is in port. It is always open for breakfast and lunch. We have occasionally seen open seating for dinner when the ship is in port late.

The MDR will not be open for lunch when the ship is in port. Shorts are OK for breakfast and those days when the MDR is open for lunch. Muscle shirts and wife beater shirts are (almost) never allowed. It is like all other dress codes, some of the MDR senior staff refuse to enforce their own dress code so as not to "offend" those who do not comply.

One DR is open for lunch on sea days only. It is closed for lunch on port days. One DR is open for breakfast every day. Dress is casual, have worn shorts and normal T shirts many times. No bathing wear, which generally includes tank tops.

Other options for lunch include:

Horizon Ct. Buffet: Lots of selections both hot and cold. You can prepare yourself nice salads.

International Cafe: Nice paninis, soup, salads, pot pies, desserts

Pizza by the slice by the pool

Trident Grill by the pool, serving burgers, dogs, brats, chicken, fries, veggie burger.

Room Service, limited menu.

One DR is open for lunch on sea days only. It is closed for lunch on port days. One DR is open for breakfast every day. Dress is casual, have worn shorts and normal T shirts many times. No bathing wear, which generally includes tank tops.

Same here. Shorts & T shirts are fine. The guys can get by with a bathing suit if not wet since most look like shorts anyway.

The women obviously need a cover up.

Dining room will not be open.

Buffet, room service, burger stand, pizza stand, International Cafe (IC) are the options.

Many find the offerings at the IC to be very good.

Just got off the Royal Princess and the DR is not open on any port day, just sea days. Just to say upfront, we are not sit out by the pool or buffet eaters. So......

When we got back from our tours(12:45-2:00pmish), we either ate in our room (I brought up items gotten in the IC which is very good) or ate in the Piazza on Deck 5 near the IC (mucho seating available) or ate sit down meal in Alfredo's which I highly recommend too. I am not a buffet person at all and never even went to it on our 10 day cruise so can't comment on food. The pizza at Alfredo's was very good if you like the not real thin but kinda thin crust (which IS my favorite). The salad was good as was the soup. They also had calzones and open faced type sandwich. A couple desert offerings too. Oh, but they do not have coffee for some reason. Dining room is open for breakfast on all days, including port days. It is also open on disembarkation day 1/2 hr. earlier than normal at 6:30a.m. CC breakfast is also available on disembarkation day. Got to get my last James Beard french toast and freshly squeezed OJ!!!!!!!!

Pooh

Just got off the Royal Princess and the DR is not open on any port day, just sea days. Just to say upfront, we are not sit out by the pool or buffet eaters. So......

When we got back from our tours(12:45-2:00pmish), we either ate in our room (I brought up items gotten in the IC which is very good) or ate in the Piazza on Deck 5 near the IC (mucho seating available) or ate sit down meal in Alfredo's which I highly recommend too. I am not a buffet person at all and never even went to it on our 10 day cruise so can't comment on food. The pizza at Alfredo's was very good if you like the not real thin but kinda thin crust (which IS my favorite). The salad was good as was the soup. They also had calzones and open faced type sandwich. A couple desert offerings too. Oh, but they do not have coffee for some reason. Dining room is open for breakfast on all days, including port days. It is also open on disembarkation day 1/2 hr. earlier than normal at 6:30a.m. CC breakfast is also available on disembarkation day. Got to get my last James Beard french toast and freshly squeezed OJ!!!!!!!!

Pooh

OP is going on the Ruby Princess. No Alfredo's

My husband and I have only been on Norwegian but I thought everyone might find it interesting that we went for breakfast one day and they wouldn't let my husband in with shorts on. He had to change into pants. So it sounds like a cruise rule in general and not just princess.

My husband and I have only been on Norwegian but I thought everyone might find it interesting that we went for breakfast one day and they wouldn't let my husband in with shorts on. He had to change into pants. So it sounds like a cruise rule in general and not just princess.

Princess does allow shorts in the dining room for breakfast and lunch.