Belize Ruin Tours

I Luv Crusin

We did a ruins tour through the ship. I prefer using independent vendors at most ports, but for something like this I would not risk it. It took the whole day and we got back just in time to get onto the last tender back to the ship. At least with an excursion booked through Carnival, they won’t leave you behind if the tour runs over.

My feelings as well. We did the Wallace River/Altun Ha ruins tour. It was wonderful but we would not have chanced taking it private. In developing countries the transportation vehicles are not always reliable. Our ship's tour was late back to the tender wharf but CCL had a last tender waiting for us.

We didn't really care what it cost thru the ship as it was a once in a lifetime tour for us and was worth it to not have to worry about anything.:)

• 1 month later...
Just a hint for anyone planning to take an excursion that involves transportation on boats.

Take at least one beach towel and leave it on the bus.

If you get caught in a tropical shower on the way back, you will be very glad to have the towel.

Duly noted. :):) Thank you!

We also did the Lamanai tour through Carnival (this past February). Fabulous tour! Cannot recall the exact cost but well worth it. Any of the ruins tours are going to be a healthy distance from the port. Lamanai is a full day, but includes not just the motor coach ride, but you must also take a high-powered speedboat to reach the ruins which was a blast. The included lunch was very good. The tour at the ruins was fascinating! If you decide to book, try to get on the first tour of the day. That will give you a bit of time at the port once you return. Also, tour guide Elvis usually does the first tour of the day and he is one of the best guides we have ever had anywhere! If you read the reviews of this tour folks rave about him and he really is that good!

Thanks for this information... I was looking to see if the Lamanai tour had a free lunch (it doesn't say) but do I bring my own water?

We did the River Wallace & Altun Ha tour through Carnival. Don't remember the cost, but it was the first week of May and hot, hot, hot! Once person in our group was really feeling bad due to the heat. We had plenty of water, but it really was miserable. And we live in Texas, so it's not like we aren't used to the heat.

Did the same tour 1st week of December ,It was really nice .. 70-75 degrees , Very nice tour

Thanks for this information... I was looking to see if the Lamanai tour had a free lunch (it doesn't say) but do I bring my own water?

The Lamanai tour is going to include lunch--there's no place around there to buy lunch, so they do a buffet for all the excursions.

Water was not provided--take your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Another tip: book through Carnival and then price match to the Belize Cruise Excursion’s tour. I think their price is $75 pp, so we ended up with about $45 pp in OBC.

Just tried doing this for a May 6th sailing on Dream. Let's hope for the best!

For those that submitted a lower price form, did you just use the one on Carnival's website (that is for claiming for a lower priced cruise)? Did you just fill in the excursion prices in the place listed for cruise cost? Thanks.

We did the Xanatunich ruins a couple years ago. It was a great tour but a very long day. The bus ride to and from were over an hour and a half but worth it when you got there. The ruins were amazing. However...if you are planning on doing this book through Carnival. We were 45 minutes late getting back to the pier. We booked the excursion through Carnival so the ship waited for us! Thank goodness! People were panicking on the return trip thinking we were going to be left behind.

Hi! Been to Belize a couple times on various Carnival cruises and returning later this year also.

I would just book with the ship for longer distance ruins such as Lamanai and Xunantunich.

On my last trip to Belize, I did book Lamanai with a non ship vendor. The sites and tour was excellent! However two issues made it nerve racking.

The first at waiting on fellow cruisers from the same ship. There was maybe twenty, all but five from one family wasn't there during the suggested times and arrived slightly over 30 minutes of the suggested time. At the ruins, this same family dragged around and it was very tight coming back to the port. I majority of the time do private tours, but feel if I or others are dragging around where it can cause issues, leave them!

In December, since Xunantunich is right at the border with Guatemala, I just booked the tour with Carnival. I need to check this price match deal, because I was tempted almost to book with someone else and I then recall that family and book with the ship.

I love visiting ruins in various countries and Belize is on my list to fly down and spend two weeks visiting several sites

For those that submitted a lower price form, did you just use the one on Carnival's website (that is for claiming for a lower priced cruise)? Did you just fill in the excursion prices in the place listed for cruise cost? Thanks.

File a claim here:

https://www.carnival.com/content/shore-excursion-best-price-guarantee.aspx

I just submitted a request on our Altun Ha tour after a quick search found this:

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Tour.Altun_Ha_Mayan_Ruins_Tour/tours_add.html?t_product=10

$47 instead of the $65 Carnival charges. Now to wait and see if they say it counts.

It worked! I got $19.79 per person back in OBC!

If you are booked on the Altun Ha & Belize City tour, use the excursion in the link above to score some OBC.