Restaurant Discounts for Bariatric Surgery Patients?

My family has been in the restaurant business for four generations, my husband runs the busiest restaurant in South Florida not named Joes, and I've never heard of anyone asking for a discount for bariatric Surgery.

For some reason, there are people that feel entitled to special treatment on a cruise that they wouldn't otherwise expect/request at a land-based resort. It's an interesting phenomenon that I don't have an explanation for.

• Like 1

I would suggest contacted the special services department of RCI. They are setup to accommodate dialysis, sleep apnea, various dietary restrictions, it’s worth checking into. Also, if you are in cabin with anyone with a deluxe drinking package (alcohol) you should be able to avoid purchasing it for yourself (unless you drink large volumes of alcohol, which isn’t part of a bariatric diet).

• Like 1

I would suggest contacted the special services department of RCI. They are setup to accommodate dialysis, sleep apnea, various dietary restrictions, it’s worth checking into. Also, if you are in cabin with anyone with a deluxe drinking package (alcohol) you should be able to avoid purchasing it for yourself (unless you drink large volumes of alcohol, which isn’t part of a bariatric diet).

Lol- one comment... I’m 7 years out, and waaay under my drs goal for me (and right below the normal weight for my height) and I drink a large volume of alcohol on the cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or the person could just tell the waiter they have a medical condition that requires they limit their intake. Or just say it’s doctors orders and that should do it. Why not just be up front if you think a waiter is offended.

I AM European. I AM used to smaller servings. It's the honest thruth :)

To the OP, don't feel bad for asking this question and ignore all the rude people.. people that don't go through the same thing as you did have different feelings on the subject. Congrats on your surgery!!!

I had Lap in 2006 and GB in 2015. I understand your question as I use to ask the same thing, especially at buffets as I would never eat all that food. I also hate seeing food go to waste, so ordering just a kids item or something small helped. For the specialty restaurants, this is just why we usually don't go to them honestly because I am not going to eat that amount of food! Sometimes we do just for fun, but then I eat too much and pay for it.

If you want to have something special then just go an pay for it, I doubt the cruise line would ever give you the discount, but know that you aren't going to be able to eat it all, just a bite of each or so...

Also as others have said the waiters will react to you not eating a lot. I often order the apps and desert only too, as I like them better. Or maybe just the protein on a main course or share with my DH/DD. Either way, have a great cruise and don't think about the $ :) And don't let this discourage you from asking more questions, please!

Not sure what ship you are sailing on but I found that the Solarium Bistro was a great choice for me. (gastric bypass). The portions are smaller, the food less dense and easier to eat. I found the food in the main dining room was too rich so I usually just ordered off the appetizer menu.

The specialty restaurants are tough if you have a tiny tummy. I haven't heard of them offering any discounts, but I suggest letting the waiter know about your surgery. Maybe they can suggest an entree that isn't so "filling". Plus, they become very concerned if you don't eat very much on your plate. My first cruise after my surgery proved that. After the 2nd night in the MDR, the head waiter came over and asked if the food was ok. I assured him it was wonderful, and explained my surgery. After that, it was fine.

Maybe you can split an entree with a friend? Sometimes the specialty restaurants will box up the other half of your entree to take back to your cabin. Doesn't hurt to ask...

And for the sarcastic person who thinks asking is ridiculous, get over yourself. It's not like she is asking for her meals to be made a certain way other than what is offered on the menu. And yes....I have found most restaurants are very accommodating to people who have had weight loss surgery.

I had the same happen to me on my first cruise after surgery. Wait staff thought i was unhappy with my meal and kept asking if they could get me something else. Head waiter came over and and alsom asked if the meal was not right what could they do? Told him i had weight reduction surgery and could not eat more than a bite or two. It was fine after that. They think it is odd when i only order a protein and eat less than a quarter of it. The assumption is that something is wrong with the food and they want the guest to be happy.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I worked in restaurants for quite some time and in fact, owned a restaurant for a while. I was convinced we were being trolled. Never seen or heard such a thing and common sense and decency would suggest nobody would ever actually expect such a thing. This sounds ridiculous to me. But I shouldn't be surprised I guess at the audacity of some peope.

I agree. Rediculous. Some people eat way more than they should,should they pay more at buffet?

If someone doesnt swim should they pay less?

If I dont use the zip line do I get a discount?

I only eat healthy food so do I get a discount for all the donuts and cake im not partaking in?

My wife is 115 pounds and eats 1/2 of what I do,discount?

The list could go on and on.

I cant believe this question.

Thank you for asking this. We are going on Harmony B2B in November, and my husband is one year out from his surgery. He only eats one time a day, and it's very little. The rest of the day he drinks protein shakes. I'm not sure how were going to deal with the shakes yet. I'm guessing we'll bring powder and mix with water, but he normally drinks pre-made. We do have one specialty restaurant free from our TA. I'm excited about that because, like you, I don't want to pay a premium price for him to eat half a piece of salmon and a little bit of veggies.

Very valid question!!! I'm not expecting RCI would discount the restaurant though, but good luck! Do they offer a child's meal price in the specialty restaurants by chance?

Contact special needs, they should be able to provide you with meal replacement shakes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

I believe OP was asking a serious, genuine question and so I will reply in the same manner and without insult and rudeness. First of all, congratulations to OP for taking charge of her life and getting healthy. :D Secondly, I have never heard this question asked before... nor have I seen it offered on a menu or have I even considered that someone might want this. I suppose it's understandable, but when one dines in a "specialty restaurant" (upcharge/upscale) either on board a cruise ship or on land, much of the experience is ambiance, attention to details, the presentation of the food, the excellent service, and so on. I don't believe it's about how much or how little someone eats.

I hope OP will go to a specialty restaurant and enjoy the entire evening and everything about it, and have some special memories of a wonderful dinner on board ship.

• Like 3

I can’t eat very much because of a colon disorder, I take home at least half of every single meal I order in a restaurant. When we go to buffets there’s usually only about 5-10% of it that I can even eat. I understand the point behind your question but really, you’re talking about asking to save $10-15 per meal, it’s not really that much in the scheme of things. For the sake of not making everyone else at the table uncomfortable, just pay the money and enjoy every bite that little bit more.

• Like 1

I am surprised and impressed that for the most part this has been a respectful discussion. Like several other posters I had lap band surgery almost 6 years ago. I have cruised a number of times since the surgery. Like others I have struggled with waiters trying to push more food or being concerned when I didn’t eat much.

Where I live ( which is in a college town) it is not unusual to be allowed to order off the kids menu or get a kids price for a buffet. I eat less than my 9 yo granddaughter but honestly the kids menu choices are usually high fat or high carbs, not the best options.

I have successfully kept off 150 pounds for 8 years and would love to celebrate at a speciality restaurant but the thought of all that food is just overwhelming . I have to add that Disney is the most insensitive place.....they won’t even let you as an adult order off the kids menu. One waitress told me she could be fired if she let me do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

I worked in restaurants for quite some time and in fact, owned a restaurant for a while. I was convinced we were being trolled. Never seen or heard such a thing and common sense and decency would suggest nobody would ever actually expect such a thing. This sounds ridiculous to me. But I shouldn't be surprised I guess at the audacity of some peope.

Please excuse me if I appear distubed by your comments, but you really should consider doing a little research before you make such a rude ASSUMPTION! The Gastric sleeve ( Bariatric Surgery) reduces your stomach by 80%, therefore we are only able to each 4-6 ozs at a meal. When I had my sleeve done 5 years ago, my surgeon gave me a card to show at restaurants explaining that it is NOT possible to consume any more than what I previously stated. I have yet to use my card as I have not had any trouble ordering from the children's menu at various restaurants and I have been on 15 cruises since and I have always paid the full price at specialty restaurants. On at least half of the sailings the waiter or the maitre'd offered to give me a refund when they noticed how little I ate.:confused::confused::confused:

• Like 1

I am surprised and impressed that for the most part this has been a respectful discussion. Like several other posters I had lap band surgery almost 6 years ago. I have cruised a number of times since the surgery. Like others I have struggled with waiters trying to push more food or being concerned when I didn’t eat much.

Where I live ( which is in a college town) it is not unusual to be allowed to order off the kids menu or get a kids price for a buffet. I eat less than my 9 yo granddaughter but honestly the kids menu choices are usually high fat or high carbs, not the best options.

I have successfully kept off 150 pounds for 8 years and would love to celebrate at a speciality restaurant but the thought of all that food is just overwhelming . I have to add that Disney is the most insensitive place.....they won’t even let you as an adult order off the kids menu. One waitress told me she could be fired if she let me do it.

Some people just don't understand but good for you with your weight loss. It really is a celebration every day! I lost 115 5 years ago and I've kept it off and I couldn't be happier. Have you tried ordering an appetizer? I always take the other half home for lunch

;p;p;p;p;p

Please excuse me if I appear distubed by your comments, but you really should consider doing a little research before you make such a rude ASSUMPTION! The Gastric sleeve ( Bariatric Surgery) reduces your stomach by 80%, therefore we are only able to each 4-6 ozs at a meal. When I had my sleeve done 5 years ago, my surgeon gave me a card to show at restaurants explaining that it is NOT possible to consume any more than what I previously stated. I have yet to use my card as I have not had any trouble ordering from the children's menu at various restaurants and I have been on 15 cruises since and I have always paid the full price at specialty restaurants. On at least half of the sailings the waiter or the maitre'd offered to give me a refund when they noticed how little I ate.:confused::confused::confused:

I'm well aware of what the sleeve is. I'm on a weight loss program myself. Shocking, huh. Did you consider offering to pay more at the restaurant when you consumed more than average calories? Yes, it's ridiculous. Asking for a discount at a restaurant because you eat less? Maybe a difference in perspective, but I think THAT is incredibly rude.

When the maitre d asked to refund your meal, I hope you looked at them and said "I really enjoyed the meal, I just don't eat a lot. I'm happy to pay for it because I'm an adult, I put my big boy/girl pants on this morning and I know how to behave in a socially acceptable manner."

I'm a big supporter of people bettering their lives and making meaningful changes. I'm not a supporter of a sense of entitlement and lack of self responsibility during the process.

• Like 1

I agree. Rediculous. Some people eat way more than they should,should they pay more at buffet?

If someone doesnt swim should they pay less?

If I dont use the zip line do I get a discount?

I only eat healthy food so do I get a discount for all the donuts and cake im not partaking in?

My wife is 115 pounds and eats 1/2 of what I do,discount?

The list could go on and on.

I cant believe this question.

Thank you! Exactly. And did this same person offer to pay more when they annihilated the Windjammer pre-op? So ridiculous. The food cost is a minimal part of dining anyways.

I'm well aware of what the sleeve is. I'm on a weight loss program myself. Shocking, huh. Did you consider offering to pay more at the restaurant when you consumed more than average calories? Yes, it's ridiculous. Asking for a discount at a restaurant because you eat less? Maybe a difference in perspective, but I think THAT is incredibly rude.

When the maitre d asked to refund your meal, I hope you looked at them and said "I really enjoyed the meal, I just don't eat a lot. I'm happy to pay for it because I'm an adult, I put my big boy/girl pants on this morning and I know how to behave in a socially acceptable manner."

I'm a big supporter of people bettering their lives and making meaningful changes. I'm not a supporter of a sense of entitlement and lack of self responsibility during the process.

I have to say you are appear to have issues that really have nothing to do with the question asked by the OP. That being said I wish you all the best with your weight loss program and counting calories. IT is not the same as having a certain quantity of food that you can consume. What I did or did not say to the maitre d should not be a concern to you either if a discount was offered to you when you're buying a car or buying a house would you say no to it? People come on these boards to seek advice not ridicule. Give Positive Vibes and they will come back to you full force

• Like 1

I have to say you are appear to have issues that really have nothing to do with the question asked by the OP. That being said I wish you all the best with your weight loss program and counting calories. IT is not the same as having a certain quantity of food that you can consume. What I did or did not say to the maitre d should not be a concern to you either if a discount was offered to you when you're buying a car or buying a house would you say no to it? People come on these boards to seek advice not ridicule. Give Positive Vibes and they will come back to you full force

Car dealers are not in the hospitality industry.

What you find normal and acceptable, others may find a little bit offensive. Asking for discounts in this case comes off as abusing the situation. You made the decision to get a surgery, not the restaurant. You are not a child, you don't eat off the children's menu. Suck it up and pay for it like an adult.

My issue is with the question, absolutely. It's right in the title of the thread. "I got an elective surgery and now I feel entitled to discounts at the expense of others."

Car dealers are not in the hospitality industry.

What you find normal and acceptable, others may find a little bit offensive. Asking for discounts in this case comes off as abusing the situation. You made the decision to get a surgery, not the restaurant. You are not a child, you don't eat off the children's menu. Suck it up and pay for it like an adult.

My issue is with the question, absolutely. It's right in the title of the thread. "I got an elective surgery and now I feel entitled to discounts at the expense of others."

BNBR, I think some of our incredulation on this thread may be the fact that a lot of these people are from small towns with a lot of mom and pop restaurants. Seriously, do you even know where a buffet exists in Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I don't except for maybe the Sunday Brunch at the Ritz Carlton or Biltmore. Most establishments (I include you and I here) deal with an international, sophisticated, urban crowd. Many cruisers don't fall into that category.

I cannot imagine going to The Forge or Smith & Wollensky and asking for a consumption discount.

No offense to anyone on this thread, it is just out of my realm of understanding.

• Like 1

BNBR, I think some of our incredulation on this thread may be the fact that a lot of these people are from small towns with a lot of mom and pop restaurants. Seriously, do you even know where a buffet exists in Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I don't except for maybe the Sunday Brunch at the Ritz Carlton or Biltmore. Most establishments (I include you and I here) deal with an international, sophisticated, urban crowd. Many cruisers don't fall into that category.

I cannot imagine going to The Forge or Smith & Wollensky and asking for a consumption discount.

No offense to anyone on this thread, it is just out of my realm of understanding.

Seriously, there are dozens of buffets in Ft Lauderdale. You can Google a list of the 30 best. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

• Like 2

You just summed it up perfectly. The sense of entitlement that some people have is a plague in the world we live in. Someone chooses an elective surgery and they expect a restaurant owner to adjust their policies for them? Give me a break. Pay the same as the rest of the adults in the restaurant, and if you don't want all the food, leave it on your plate or get a to-go box and give it to a homeless person. Consider it your good deed for the day.

I'm sure the OP appreciates you spinning their question into something it was not. While I agree that it's a stretch that the OP should get a discount, we took our 3 year-old grandson to Giovanni's on our last Allure cruise and while we weren't charged for him, the waiter kept bring him food including a banana split. I am now horrified that it was at the 'expense of others.' :eek:

• Like 1

would you ask for a discount if you hadn't had the surgery and only ate a small amount anyway? my grandmother considered a marshmallow peep enough for a meal 5 days out of 7, ( the other two days it was a cruller). there was nothing wrong with her stomach size.

as for the children's pricing: that's age based, not consumption based, at least in specialty dining.

consider the fee partly for the food and partly for the ATMOSPHERE.

to be quite frank we stopped going to Giovannis because there its soooo much food presented even if skipping a course and I for one leave at least 3/4 of my plate so that is truly became too expensive for us and a major waste. but never once would I have considered asking for a discount because I ate less.

at a cover charge restaurant, everyone pays the same whether they eat a five course meal, or just the sourdough rolls. its how it is.

If a waiter in the US is offended that I eat so little I just tell them that I'm European. We're used to much smaller servings. I usually settles that.

First, you should just own your own life and say I want a smaller portion. PERIOD.

And second, that is blatantly untrue in a global aspect. I've been all over Europe and while SOMETIMES that is true it isn't true everywhere. I know it really makes some Euros feel superior in some weird way to say that they eat smaller portions, but it simply is false in many places.

I've had meals in England, France, Germany, Austria, and Italy that were MASSIVE in size. I've had meals in those places and in America that were TINY in size. Oddly, even the Spanish concept of tapas is thoroughly misleading because I've sat and watched people eat a half dozen tiny plates that would make a single large plate look like a snack.

Don't believe your own hype.

• Like 2

You just summed it up perfectly. The sense of entitlement that some people have is a plague in the world we live in. Someone chooses an elective surgery and they expect a restaurant owner to adjust their policies for them? Give me a break. Pay the same as the rest of the adults in the restaurant, and if you don't want all the food, leave it on your plate or get a to-go box and give it to a homeless person. Consider it your good deed for the day.

It’s probably just my reading skills and all, but could someone point out exactly where the OP wrote, expressed, hinted or implied “entitlement”? This whole rant against entitlement is interesting, but misplaced IMO.

• Like 1