Dress code for Patagonia and Antarctica during sea days (on Quest)

russianrex

Please forgive me for the barrage of questions of late , but I am still feeling quite apprehensive regarding our first ever sailing on a premium cruiseline.

I have read today, (on a Seabourn Facebook page), a post regarding attire being worn aboard Sojourn at this moment. Other guests were being admonished for wearing jeans and gym gear (during the day I believe) in public areas of the ship. There was a running commentary on the degradation of the line (especially dress standards) and the suggestion that these cruisers should have taken a Carnival cruise instead. I must admit, I was taken aback, as I hoped my fellow cruisers would not be so judgemental.

I realise that there are certain dress codes which need to be adhered to after 6pm, but was hoping that comfortable clothes were still allowed during the day (especially in Antarctica)

If anyone could give some advice on what is acceptable (and more importantly, NOT acceptable) I would very much appreciate it.

I am used to mainstream cruiselines, where everyone is VERY casual during the day (and a lot a little too casual in the evening).

Any suggestions/advice welcome.

P.S I really just want to "fit it" without causing a stir or committing some sort of faux pas!

Here is the dress code published on SB website.

https://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-planning/Planning-And-Advice.action?tabName=Frequently%20Asked%20Questions&contentMenu=Packing%20and%20Baggage&contentSubMenu=Is%20There%20A%20Dress%20Code%3F

I thought I read the couple were wearing the gym gear in the Observation Lounge which I don’t think meets the SB criteria.

I just checked the site you refer too. It reads like the couple were in gym gear in the Observation Bar and it sounds like it was in the evening pre-dinner.

It would only be during the day unless it was for afternoon tea which is only for an hour. It would seem odd to be in gym gear eating afternoon tea. Would it be pre or post work-out :confused:?

Julie

I understand the need to adhere to a dress code of an evening. I am more concerned about the expectations of day wear. I like to feel comfortable, but am concerned that my usual cruise attire may be seen as not dressy enough for daytime.

Please don't stress about this. If you follow a few simple guidelines you'll be fine: Don't wear a bathrobe to breakfast. Don't wear a ballcap in the dining room for dinner. Leave any Metallica t-shirts at home. Don't wear the wifebeater and shorts to tea, or pre-dinner cocktails. (I'm not being snotty... these are all things that have caused angst-ridden posts on this board over the years.)

This blog should help.... there are several daytime shots, including a sea-day lecture that should put your mind at ease - https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/4938/

You are going to have the time of your life, and fit in just fine. Promise!!

I understand the need to adhere to a dress code of an evening. I am more concerned about the expectations of day wear. I like to feel comfortable, but am concerned that my usual cruise attire may be seen as not dressy enough for daytime.

So what aspect of the dress code for daytime is worrying you? Is it jeans or is it gym clothes?

I don't think the dress code is unreasonable when it states that gym attire should be worn only in the gym/spa, poolside or on the decks. Jeans are fine during the day, ie before 6pm.

Attire During the Day:

• During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm.

Can anyone explain resort style attire? I am definitely a jeans, khaki's and capri's type girl. But also like the comfort of active wear. But, I'd prefer not to be the talk of the town.

You’ll be fine. On transatlantics (basically a string of sea days), you’ll see women in all of those during the day. I tend to wear nice (black) yoga pants and a knit top during the day. You’ll see lots of nicer active wear. If you could wear it to play golf at a course with a dress code, you’d be fine there too. What I’d avoid is anything you’d wear to run a marathon or do heavy labor in.

Can anyone explain resort style attire? I am definitely a jeans, khaki's and capri's type girl. But also like the comfort of active wear. But, I'd prefer not to be the talk of the town.

Jeans are fine, so long as they are the ones you wear out to lunch with your girlfriends, not the ones you wear to clean out the garage.

Russianrex - You are going to Antarctica so the only clothing to worry about is what to wear on deck and ashore when it's cold and windy. I was on the Quest to Antarctica and South Georgia three months ago, the Christmas and New Year cruise, and I can tell you that I wore a jacket and my wife wore a frock for one night only and that was Christmas Day in the Main Dining Room. Please don't get stressed out about this. You can wear what you are most comfortable wearing and meals in the Colonnade and Keller and Patio are always smart casual, every day. I wore jeans, a light sweater and Ferragamo loafers (huh!) to the Colonnade for several dinners. Some people dress up a lot for the Main Dining Room but most people don't bother these days. And no one really cares what people wear, least of all the Seabourn staff. You are there for the adventure, not the fashion show.

Edited by Fletcher

Some people dress up a lot for the Main Dining Room but most people don't bother these days. And no one really cares what people wear, least of all the Seabourn staff.

On my last two sailings, passengers were turned away from the MDR for wearing jeans.

Wishing a dress code didn’t exist does not make it so. I would certainly hate for a new Seabourn passenger to read and heed such advice to their own detriment.

On my last two sailings, passengers were turned away from the MDR for wearing jeans.

Wishing a dress code didn’t exist does not make it so. I would certainly hate for a new Seabourn passenger to read and heed such advice to their own detriment.

I admit that the MDR has a dress code but my comments were about other dining venues where anything goes these days. Just about.

Look, the poster will be on a 24 day cruise that includes 10 days in the polar region. It's the closest thing Seabourn does to expedition cruising. Having checked with my TA, who is just off the Q in Antarctica, the dress code is somewhat relaxed. As it should be IMO. A relaxed dress code in Antarctica does not herald the end of civilized dressing at dinner fleetwide.

Russianrex - You are going to Antarctica so the only clothing to worry about is what to wear on deck and ashore when it's cold and windy. I was on the Quest to Antarctica and South Georgia three months ago, the Christmas and New Year cruise, and I can tell you that I wore a jacket and my wife wore a frock for one night only and that was Christmas Day in the Main Dining Room. Please don't get stressed out about this. You can wear what you are most comfortable wearing and meals in the Colonnade and Keller and Patio are always smart casual, every day. I wore jeans, a light sweater and Ferragamo loafers (huh!) to the Colonnade for several dinners. Some people dress up a lot for the Main Dining Room but most people don't bother these days. And no one really cares what people wear, least of all the Seabourn staff. You are there for the adventure, not the fashion show.

Ferragamo loafers? With jeans? Really?? :eek::eek::D

Simple: abide by the evening dress code. On the Antarctica cruise, which we recently also did, during the day you wear (within reason) what keeps you comfortable and warm when out on decks. I often wore sweat pants since I might be in my suite and suddenly want to run to the front of the ship to take in a wildlife sighting.

Simple: abide by the evening dress code. On the Antarctica cruise, which we recently also did, during the day you wear (within reason) what keeps you comfortable and warm when out on decks. I often wore sweat pants since I might be in my suite and suddenly want to run to the front of the ship to take in a wildlife sighting.

I agree! On our Seabourn Antarctica cruise the dress "standard" was very relaxed during the day, as most people decided it was more important to be warm and comfortable rather than showing off their latest designer ware. Jeans, track pants/sweat pants, skiware were commonly seen. At night, after 6pm, the vast majority of people dressed as per the Seabourn guidelines, and it was no different to any other cruise.

Nearly as bad as wearing a ready-made bow tie.:eek::D

And what's wrong with that? I'd put money on the fact that very very few bow tie wearers on SB tie their own bow ties. Would you look down on those that wore a ready tied bow tie?! :eek:

And what's wrong with that? I'd put money on the fact that very very few bow tie wearers on SB tie their own bow ties. Would you look down on those that wore a ready tied bow tie?! :eek:

One never looks down, at people for failures in style. Spread the gospel of style, but don’t get cross at those who don’t follow it, is what my father used to say.

George V had the right idea. When a nervous guest at dinner drank from the finger bowl, the king immediately drank from his as well, so as not to make his guest uncomfortable.

One never looks down, at people for failures in style. Spread the gospel of style, but don’t get cross at those who don’t follow it, is what my father used to say.

George V had the right idea. When a nervous guest at dinner drank from the finger bowl, the king immediately drank from his as well, so as not to make his guest uncomfortable.

You might need to buy some ready tied bow ties then! Only fair! ;p