Onboard Texting - Symphony

I am really confused! From what I can tell, it is doubtful that the Symphony will have IQ.

The ship was added but then quickly removed from the new RCI app - meaning that there' still a chance it will have IQ. We won't know till late next week after the first sailing. If it does have IQ, it will likely have the same "feature" where iMessage text via iPhones will get through without a VOOM package.

Is the Royal IQ the app where if you purchase the messaging service ( I paid something like 7.95 per phone on Harmony) you can text the others in your party that purchased it?

Correct.

Correct.

Thanks as always [emoji4] It worked well for our group. It was 1 fee per phone but was good for the entire 7 day cruise. We easily kept in touch with each other. I do hope it will be available when we sail on Symphony soon [emoji1374][emoji177]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the Royal IQ the app where if you purchase the messaging service ( I paid something like 7.95 per phone on Harmony) you can text the others in your party that purchased it?

Just remember that if everyone in the party has iPhones, you may not need any app - iMessage texts come through simply by connecting to the ship's WiFi.

Just remember that if everyone in the party has iPhones, you may not need any app - iMessage texts come through simply by connecting to the ship's WiFi.

I think we all will, but I know at least 5 for sure will. Sooooo, that means there is no text message fee if our cell phone service provider doesn't charge one?

Sooooo, that means there is no text message fee if our cell phone service provider doesn't charge one?

First rule of cruising with phones - unless you really know what you are doing keep phone in plane mode at all times ( to avoid any carrier charges).

Ships which use the RoyalIQ app have a "feature" whereby iMessage texts get through via WiFi without a VOOM package. There's no cost on the ship to connect to the WiFi - the cost comes in when you buy a VOOM package.

That's correct, but of course you'll have to pay for the wifi.

Lol... either way you have to pay. It’s each person pay the 7.95 per phone for the week OR each cabin purchase Zoom (WiFi) for the week ... Thanks for the information [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First rule of cruising with phones - unless you really know what you are doing keep phone in plane mode at all times ( to avoid any carrier charges).

Ships which use the RoyalIQ app have a "feature" whereby iMessage texts get through via WiFi without a VOOM package. There's no cost on the ship to connect to the WiFi - the cost comes in when you buy a VOOM package.

Thanks so very much!!! I think I got it :)

Lol... either way you have to pay. It’s each person pay the 7.95 per phone for the week OR each cabin purchase Zoom (WiFi) for the week .]

If one only cares about texting, there’s a pretty big difference between $8 per phone compared to $100+ for the typical VOOM cost.

If one only cares about texting, there’s a pretty big difference between $8 per phone compared to $100+ for the typical VOOM cost.

I totally agree with you Biker19 :D...we really only want to Text to stay in touch when we are not together and need to be :)

• 4 weeks later...

We just took a cruise on the Allure of the Seas, it was a nice ship but we were in disbelief that they did not have an option in their app to message or call people. We have been taking Norwegian and Carnival cruises and they have had these features for years. There is a one time fee of 6 or 7.95 and you put your phone in airplane mode, turn on Wifi and you are good. It is fantastic to have the ability to communicate with your kids on where they are at or where to meet. We usually travel with several families, so not being able to message or coordinate with the app on the Allure (big ship) was sorely missed. Those saying buy an internet package, that is not practical for a family of 4 or 5 as it costs $15.99-$19.99 per person per day. The one person that mentioned iMessage over the ships Wifi, they don't allow that unless you do have an internet package. On the Allure, you could connect to the ships Wifi and use the app to see the ships schedule and other info. We are looking at booking the Symphony of the Seas, thanks for those who checked to see if they would have these communication features. Again, when we were on the Allure, we felt like we were back in 2011 where we needed walkie-talkies. Glad they are getting IQ on more of their ships. Happy sailing everyone!

My wife called Royal tonight and spoke to several people. All of them didn't know if IQ for the Symphony was working or not as they haven't received any communication either way on it. :(:(

Hi, did they say when it was going to be added to Symphony?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Yes, cell service will work on the ship if you keep your phone out of airplane mode. We are referring to being able to message each other on the ship through the Royal app.

The daughter & I texted during our TA last August, she was in Colorado and we had no trouble texting. I even sent her photos during our tours. My phone was in Airplane Mode and wifi on.