When is the best month to do an Alaskan cruise?

Hello

We are looking to start planning a cruise to see Alaska, I notice they run from May onwards, is there a better time to do one of these cruises such as when it may be warmer or less crowded?

tia.

Well, I'm hoping it is Mid-July as that is when our Alaska cruise (Radiance - Northbound & Post cruisetour) is!

I think towards the end of the season when the rates drop back down is best. Early and there is still a lot of ice around. I went the end of June-July one year and it was great 4th of July parade was fun and 10PM Daylight was crazy.

There are pros and cons to going early vs. late. The long days during the weeks surrounding the summer solstice are great, but rates are usually at their peak then as are the crowds. Also, as previous poster said ice can still be an issue in early summer. Weather is a crap shoot, we went in mid-July and it was cold while friends went in September and were in shorts the whole time.

We went in early August last year and it was great. The weather was beautiful and we only had one day where it rained the entire day. Lots of sun and clear days. We were able to see the entire Denali range from the Alaskan railroad pre-cruise. They said that it is only visible 10% of the time due to weather conditions.

I think towards the end of the season when the rates drop back down is best. Early and there is still a lot of ice around. I went the end of June-July one year and it was great 4th of July parade was fun and 10PM Daylight was crazy.

There is a reason rates drop down. It's the rainiest season

We prefer going in September, and like to book the last cruise of the season when we can. We find many bargains in port stores, and we enjoy the cooler weather. Sometimes the first cruises of the season run into ice issues and we don't get to see some of the attractions.

We did 6 weeks in Alaska via ferry, train, bus and car a number of years ago then sailed back to Vancouver. We went in May to avoid the crowds and sailed back in June. The weather that year was hot, hot, hot thus I mailed my cold weather clothes back to family rather than drag them around. Was in high 70's in Fairbanks and the B&B did not have A/C.

Like anywhere else in world the weather is hit or miss. If you want to avoid crowds go May or early June or as someone suggested Sept. Cousin is booked on Regents for early May this year.

As Bob wisely suggested, check out the Alaska boards. Most of all, enjoy your cruise.

I've been twice, once on Radiance, and once on Norwegian Sun. Both times southbound, both times in August. I would go again in a heartbeat, southbound in August-- less children, more salmon and bears! Always went 3 days early. Spend one night in Anchorage and two in Seward. Love that little town!

July is the busiest time, and is usually the warmest. It’s the height of the growing season, too, and you can find great berries in Vancouver. It’s also the most expensive month. We did July last year as part of a family group cruise. Next year we’re going again in July and taking a grandchild for her birthday. I would like to sometime go in May or September due to reduced cost. I’ll brave the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also stayed a few days in Seward and an overnight in Vancouver. In Seward we walked up to Exit Glacier. We encountered biting Moose Flies. Maybe August is better to avoid them.

To answer your question, depending on what you want to see and do. If you are looking to do a one way and continue with a land part, say to Denali, May and early June are terrible months. A lot of the wildlife aren't really out yet and it is still fairly cold in the Northern regions. If you are just going to see scenery, then anytime is fine when ever the prices are lower.

We have gone twice, once a one way and land tour and the second a round trip from Seattle. Both times we went in mid to late August as my DW worked for the school system here in NY. We loved that time of year. The Salmon are all over the place, wildlife is out and easy to see. That is what many people want to see when they go to Alaska. Now I know some one will say they went in May and saw plenty, that's fine, but generally, May is too early for many wildlife sightings.

If you can travel later in the season, as has been said, cheaper prices, much less kids and tourists in general and great sales in the stores packing up for winter.

Do go to the Alaska port of call board. So many experts on Alaska, they will answer any questions and help you in any way.

Cheers

Len

Best time depends on your budget and what you want to see (bears vs. salmon run for example - some excursions only run during certain times). For Tracy Arm, ice often stops the ships early (and sometimes through the middle) in the season. Glacier Bay is never an issue as far as ice early in the season (but RCI doesn't go there). We are on a budget but live in Seattle, so have already done an Alaska cruise twice, but only May and September. We far preferred May, due to it seeming more like Alaska (more ice and cooler) and much longer days than September. That far north the difference is getting hours more of light in May. June thru Aug are more popular and desirable, but much more expensive.

We went mid August and had great weather. It was sunny in Denali and we got to see the Mountain from many locations. Friends who went the same time a year earlier had similar good weather. Friends who went in June and July didn’t see ant Denali because of rain and fog. Yes in some locations we experienced bugs but I used the insect repellent bracelets that worked well.

Our last Alaska cruise was in August when the salmon were running - fantastic! :D

This is a great point. Our TA told us that the latter half of August offers a larger migration of wildlife as they prepare for winter. I'm not sure if she was correct w/ this statement but I will say that we saw a lot! As mentioned above, the salmon was running. As a result, six Bear came walked by us within 200 feet while we enjoyed our catch & release fishing trip. Weather of course is important, but I can handle a little cloudiness and some rain if it gets me closer to wildlife!

One thing I have learned from taking several Alaska Cruises is you just never know.

It could be rainy, sunny, windy, cloudy, warm or cold or a combination of this even on the same day.

Personally I like early in the season.

Usually less ships and people as many children are still in school and more snow to view on mountains/hills and a lot of enthusiasm by those working on land.

Keith