What to do in am while in port in Puntarenas Costa Rica?

cheeseclan

Costa Rica has it's own board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=198

It is very easy to walk around town.

FYI, docking there is very tricky due to tides. It is possible you may be a little late (we were about 30 minutes late on a 10am to 6pm stay last month), or have your docking times changed due to the tidal conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had the best tour ever in Costa Rica with Gio Tours 8 in 1. We toured from 8 am to 4pm and this price included a wonderful buffet lunch. There were 32 of us touring. We saw many sites as we drove to the boat dock where we rode around and saw many birds, sloths, caymans, huge ones, They took us to a really nice shopping store with free wi fi, where we tasted fresh fruits and sugar cane, and then to a local grocery store where we could buy huge bags of coffee for $4.00 a bag. Their gift to us for touring with them was a bag of coffee. This was a wonderful tour and for $69 pp it cant be beat.

info@smallgroupstravel.com is their webpage. excellent tour. Highlight of our cruise!!!!

Hello,

We will be on the Coral Princess Feb 4. We are in port from 7 - 7 and are already going to see the Andalusian Horses starting at 1 pm. Any recommendations of what to do in the am? Can we just walk around the area? Thanks

Let me know how the Andalusian Horse Show is. I have been unable to find any reviews and will be going in April.

Thanks.

Let me know how the Andalusian Horse Show is. I have been unable to find any reviews and will be going in April.

Thanks.

someone on our cruise just went. they said they watched them exercise the horses in the ring and a few people rode them but they didn't feel it was worth the money they spent on it.

There are 2 docks where a ship might come in. We just disembarked the coral a week ago and our travel agent gave our guide the wrong port info which caused a minor delay. If you have limited time, there are taxis for hire right as you leave the port that will give you a tour. I would not normally recommend this, but The taxi drivers went out of their way to be helpful for us during our aforementioned snafu. They possibly lost customers to take time to use their phones to call for us and they came back from where they all wait for passengers several times to check on us even though they knew we were not going to give them our business since we had pre-arranged a tour. I was highly impressed with their sense of concern and wish for us to have a positive experience in their country. I will be posting later about the awesome private all day tour we took but wanted to mention this since you had time constraints!

Puerto Caldera and Puntarenas are about 8 miles apart. They are not the same at all.

Caldera is a freight port and you will need a tour or taxi if you dock there. You will need to take,a free shuttle to the port gate as they don't allow walking

Puntarenas has a long dock that is right in town. They have a flea market at the dock and it about three blocks to the center of town. Bars and restaurants are also near the dock.

Many taxis and tour sellers will compete for your business and some offer tours for as low as 20 dollars per person.

• 1 month later...
There are 2 docks where a ship might come in. We just disembarked the coral a week ago and our travel agent gave our guide the wrong port info which caused a minor delay. If you have limited time, there are taxis for hire right as you leave the port that will give you a tour. I would not normally recommend this, but The taxi drivers went out of their way to be helpful for us during our aforementioned snafu. They possibly lost customers to take time to use their phones to call for us and they came back from where they all wait for passengers several times to check on us even though they knew we were not going to give them our business since we had pre-arranged a tour. I was highly impressed with their sense of concern and wish for us to have a positive experience in their country. I will be posting later about the awesome private all day tour we took but wanted to mention this since you had time constraints!

Hi, just checking if you have posted yet about that tour?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Coral Princess and did the Andalusian horse show. It was AWESOME. The stables are owned by a very nice family and the horses are in great shape. They did 16 short demonstrations with the horses and it was very impressive. The youngest was a 14 year old boy who was in charge of 4 mares at once and then the stallion. Good job keeping his cool. The lead trainers were 24 and 26 years old. They did a great job too. Love when horses can be led around and directed while not on leads.

I thought this was definitely worth the money. The only issue they need to fix is that the ladies restroom is up some stairs which may be a problem for some with mobility issues. They are going to get the fixed shortly.