American Airlines Questions

Sea Day Cruiser

I hope someone can answer this question for me. I am booked on an American Airlines flight that goes through Charlotte, North Carolina on a Sunday. We only have 55 minutes to change planes. I have never been to the Charlotte airport and I have no idea how big it is. Is 55 minutes enough time to change planes?

Also as long as I’m asking a question about that flight, this booking is in first class. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect since first class is not normally the way we fly. Do they provide a meal on a two hour flight? What about alcoholic beverages – – are they free or do you pay for them? Should we expect comfortable seats? Thank you for any answers.

When you booked the flight you should have received an e-mail back from American Airlines noting if there is a meal. If not you can go to your booking on the web site to look it up or call American Airlines.

Yes, first class includes spirits, wine, champagne at no extra charge.

The comfort of the seats varies based on the aircraft you are flying. There will certainly be more leg room.

This is a terminal map for the airport.

http://www.cltairport.com/MapsandDirections/Documents/CLT%20Maps/SDWRMap.pdf

Keith

I am assuming your flight is from one domestic flight to another? That's an important factor, but I'll go ahead and assume it is and base my answers upon that:

1) 55 minutes should be okay with first class, because you'll be one of (if not the) first off the first flight. Use the AA app on your taxi in to your CLT gate to check on the gate of your next flight, and the route to get there via the airport map on the app. CLT is kind of spread out, but if you're mobile, I've had no issues making a connecting that short with first class seats.

2) Yes, drinks are free and usually pretty free-flowing. Meals are based on mileage so knowing your exact flight would help. I've found AA's domestic first class meals to be acceptable...sometimes actually fairly decent, and sometimes shockingly mediocre, but usually absolutely fine.

What is your routing? What aircraft are you flying? That will give us a lot more information on what the service will be like.

55-mins is enough assuming everything goes on-time. Its a big airport, but not crazy big just be prepared to hustle if your flight arrives late.

As for First Class, the service will be better. Most flights that are two-hours will have some sort of snack or light meal. All drinks are free and as much as you like (just don't get wasted of course). Different types of airplanes have different types of seats in first class. But for most domestic flights its fairly similar. More legroom 36-38 inches and much wider seats that recline a bit more.

All drinks are free and as much as you like (just don't get wasted of course)..

Well, at least don't act like it! I've had more than my fair share of beverages on AA flights, but (a) I just sit quietly and do work, read, or watch movies whilst doing so, and (b) I make sure I don't have to drive on the other end.

(One of my favorite flights was sitting next to an NFL ref on a Monday morning (after he had worked the game the day before), and watch him pound like four G&T's on a one hour flight while reviewing game footage).

CLT is a pretty decent airport for connections, IMO. Although it's a large airport it feels like a smaller airport rather than say ORD, ATL, JFK etc.. I've connected through it 5 times so far this year so maybe it's just familiarity. However, for example, on Friday my incoming flight was late and even though my plane pulled onto the gate 30mins before departure of my onward flight I still made it comfortably, even getting there in time for FC boarding.

1) At 2hrs you aren't guaranteed a meal, it depends on the route and the timings. However, AA allow you to book meals within 30 days of travel so go to AA.com and enter your booking and you'll be able to scroll down and see if there are meals to order. You just need to ensure you order at least 24hrs before travel, otherwise you'll be selecting onboard. The FA will come around at the beginning of the meal service to confirm your pre-order choice.

2) Yes, drinks are free. AA standards are to offer pre-departure drinks, and on CLT routes you'll almost certainly offered a full bar option at this stage. Be aware that in my experience most cocktails come as doubles....order a Bloody Mary and it'll almost certainly be two Tito's miniatures plus mix.

3) Download the AA app as it will show you the arrival gate at CLT and the departure gate for your onward flight whilst inflight using the wifi (AA.com and app are free). You can use also the map on the American Way magazine to determine your way around the airport.

So here is some very basic and practical advice. Charlotte is a pretty large airport but, assuming you have no walking issues, your 55 minutes will be fine. But this assumes your flight is on time. Consider that airlines will sometimes close boarding as early as 15 minutes before scheduled departure. My advice is to know your options.....in the event that you miss your connection. Is there a later flight on AA? If so, know the flight number and time. Although the airlines will normally handle things in the event of missing a connection, you should know those options in case they fail at their job.

If there is not another flight that same day, your best option is to ask for the airline to pay for a hotel and put you on a morning flight (the following day). The airlines often do not want to pay for a hotel. but since you are in First Class they will likely take that into consideration.

Hank

AA will not pay for a hotel unless your first flight is 55 minutes late. Clt is my home airport. I can tell you depending on where you land and connect, it can be a hike. No dawdling. I would only stop for a bio break closer to your final gate, otherwise wait until u board. AA in CLT tend to load and leave early. If your flight is even a little bit later than scheduled, ask your flight attendant can have the gate agent contact your next gate to tell them u are on the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I can tell you depending on where you land and connect, it can be a hike. No dawdling. I would only stop for a bio break closer to your final gate, otherwise wait until u board

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

/\/\/\/\/\ This is so accurate and with out knowing the OP's inbound and outbound flights we have no way of knowing how easy/hard the connection will be. Especially if one of the flights are on RJ's and changing to mainline. But assuming your inbound in onetime you "should" be fine. AA tends to pad their flight times "a bit". (for example they show CHS-CLT as a 1:15 flight when in reality it is only about 35-40 min. Guess that helps with their "on time" stats when they arrive faster than 1:15:rolleyes:)

• 3 weeks later...

I just made a connection in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday in February, and it was bedlam. Freezing rain had delayed every flight for hours, and the airport was jammed with people. I was on American and had to walk from one concourse to another, and it took me a full hour to accomplish. Of course, my flight was delayed and I knew I could take my time. It seemed like a large airport -- and I fly from O'Hare all the time. So I guess my advice is, hustle! If your inbound flight is late, you may have trouble.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my original question about Charlotte. I just wanted to come back and let everyone know that I made the flight. I think we landed about 10 to 15 minutes early and both flights were in the same concourse. I think it was from a 15 to E3. Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help.

I just made a connection in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday in February, and it was bedlam. Freezing rain had delayed every flight for hours, and the airport was jammed with people. I was on American and had to walk from one concourse to another, and it took me a full hour to accomplish. Of course, my flight was delayed and I knew I could take my time. It seemed like a large airport -- and I fly from O'Hare all the time. So I guess my advice is, hustle! If your inbound flight is late, you may have trouble.

A statistical example of one is a poor sample, particularly since you mentioned it was during bad weather.

I honestly don't know how it took you an hour to walk from one concourse to another. Even if you were to arrive and depart from the gates at CLT that are furthest apart (B13 to E35) it's 1200m and a fair amount of that is covered by moving walkways.

Since I last responded I've connected through CLT a further four times with sub 1hr connections. On each occasion I've arrived at my next gate in time for FC boarding and/or have had a chance to stop by the Admirals Club for a drink.