What’s wrong with Nassau?

Jillycheesefries

I don’t think it’s bad, as in bad. I think most of the people that don’t like it have been there many many times. I know I have been to that stop at least 40 times. I don’t get off unless I need something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep reading how much people don’t like Nassau. We’ve never been and this is our first cruise. What’s so bad about it?

It is a wonderful port for a first timer. I predict that you will have a delightful day there. :)

We exercise caution everywhere in the Caribbean. There many islands with possibility of unsafe situations. People love Antigua or St Thomas, but cruise tourists have been shut there on different years. Love St Kitts, but once Celebrity tourbus was stopped and 18 people robbed at gunpoint (we were on the island same day and rented a small car, we could’ve need just killed )

I cannot say Nassau my favorite port, as it is too flat to me, but we always had fun. Been there about 6 times. We either going over to Paradise Island to walk through the Dig (Atlantis aquariums) if there are not many ships in port as it can get crowded or going to Blue Lagoon. Will be there again in May and want to explore local beaches - Cabbage, maybe some others.

Nothing is wrong with Nassau! Every Port is what you make of it! We have been to Nassau dozens of times and always have a good time!

We were just there last weekend and took the "Bites of Nassau" Tru Bahamian Food Tour. A bit of history, a lot of delicious food! We visited places that Jim and I never would have found and will definitely go back to. Our guide was Capt Ron who was delightful!

We also often walk up to John Watlings Distillery where you can take a self guided tour of the small batch distillery and have a delicious Pina Colada or other drink in their lovely Plantation style building.

I know there is a Segway tour you can book privately, taxi island tours, Atlantis, and many other options! Google is your friend! :D

Make a plan ahead of time, and enjoy your day in Nassau!

There is nothing wrong with Nassau but it isn't one of my favourite ports. Wandering around the town by the port is fine but not as pleasant as some other Caribbean stops.

Amount of time cruise ship stops at the port is also a factor. Often the stop is too short to venture too far without worrying about missing the ship.

For me Nassau has little appeal so can easily be missed but it is not a must avoid port. In fact I was there only last year.

The main thing I dislike about Nassau is the hard-sell vendor gauntlet you have to run on your way to and from the ship. No, I don't want my hair (what's left of it) braided, neither does my wife, please stop blocking me from going past...

Once you get through that it's a neat town even if you don't have an excursion planned. Nice to just wander around. The locals will generally catch you and steer you away if you start heading somewhere unsafe.

It's not a place that I feel like I just have to go back to, but I also won't be upset if I book another cruise with it on the itinerary.

And hey, you're in the sunshine in the Caribb... Well, OK, it's in the Atlantic, but it looks like the Caribbean..., and you're there while your neighbors back home are shoveling snow, so it's not like life isn't great when you're there.

I dislike Nassau due to the overly touristy, pushy, and crowed nature. It’s great to visit at least once to make up your own mind. I would go back to Atlantis again while my husband wouldn’t get off the ship.

Good to know. I’m visiting Nassau for the first time in June. Sounds like many of you feel about Nassau as I do about Cozumel...been there many times, always find something to do!!

The main thing I dislike about Nassau is the hard-sell vendor gauntlet you have to run on your way to and from the ship. No, I don't want my hair (what's left of it) braided, neither does my wife, please stop blocking me from going past...

Once you get through that it's a neat town even if you don't have an excursion planned. Nice to just wander around. The locals will generally catch you and steer you away if you start heading somewhere unsafe.

It's not a place that I feel like I just have to go back to, but I also won't be upset if I book another cruise with it on the itinerary.

And hey, you're in the sunshine in the Caribb... Well, OK, it's in the Atlantic, but it looks like the Caribbean..., and you're there while your neighbors back home are shoveling snow, so it's not like life isn't great when you're there.

I think this sums up our thoughts well. Our first cruise to Nassau our excursion was canceled and we had to deal with the pushy vendors. We hadn't researched the port well (didn't know about CC, was only our second cruise) and just did some shopping on the main strip and collected bracelet charms.

This time we did have an excursion and were able to avoid the vendors, which helped. So many itineraries include Nassau that it is hard to avoid it if we want to drive to the port instead of flying, so we will probably join the crowd of staying on the ship and having another "sea day" built in with hopefully less crowds. It helps stretch the budget for other ports too.

Nothing is wrong with Nassau! Every Port is what you make of it! We have been to Nassau dozens of times and always have a good time!

We were just there last weekend and took the "Bites of Nassau" Tru Bahamian Food Tour. A bit of history, a lot of delicious food! We visited places that Jim and I never would have found and will definitely go back to. Our guide was Capt Ron who was delightful!

We also often walk up to John Watlings Distillery where you can take a self guided tour of the small batch distillery and have a delicious Pina Colada or other drink in their lovely Plantation style building.

I know there is a Segway tour you can book privately, taxi island tours, Atlantis, and many other options! Google is your friend! :D

Make a plan ahead of time, and enjoy your day in Nassau!

This poster makes a good point too. Depending on your interests, there is a lot to do in Nassau at various price points (including plenty of free options). If you can get past the vendor gauntlet and the crowds, it can be a nice day out if you want it to be.

Nassau is OUTSTANDING. Like any cruise port, if you just hang out at the port you may be disappointed. But even then there is restaurants and things to walk to. But lots of pushy vendors. I think the key to Nassau is simply getting out and doing something. Either a private tour, jitney to a resort like Melia (which has the BEST daiquiri shack right in the parking lot in front), or a ship excursion. There is a ton of things to do. The island is beautiful and it's quite big, hence a lot to do. Excursions like Blue Lagoon are excellent for beach days. There is public beaches too. Best one is probably Love Beach.

Ignore the negative people. It's the Bahamas, it's a big island with tons of fun things to do, how can it possibly be bad?!?!?

The problem with Nassau is most cruisers don't want to be bothered by fellow cruisers, let alone the locals. Where you dock isn't the most glorious town.

We went to Sandals last time. A little pricey at $110 a person. However, it was a fantastic day. Super relaxin, laid back, gorgeous location. The private island was great too. It's nice to try vs staying there for a week for $5k. Next time, I may try the Malia.

The hustlers and hasslers at the port are very off putting. Sales are somewhat aggressive in some of the shops. You can have an enjoyable time by ignoring all that and buying only what you want or by knowing in advance what you want to do with the day and paying for a cab to take you wherever you’re headed. If you’re okay with dropping some cash on an excursion there are nice things to do. If you thought you would just stroll around near the port to enjoy a quaint, charming, clean, welcoming paradise, you might be disappointed.

I love LOVE the Bahamas. I would never stay in port in Nassau though, if you do, you'll be disappointed for sure. I'm assuming since you're going on a caribbean cruise, you like beaches and outdoor activities...if so go to Atlantis, it's pricey but it'll be a great day. We are flying to Nassau on May 16th and staying at Atlantis for almost a whole week! We LOVE it there. The water in the Bahamas is amazing and I am a highly critical person. If you don't want to go to Atlantis to see the outdoor aquariums, beaches, pools etc., then go down to Breezes (adults only) and get a day pass to enjoy cable beach. The Melia is also another option that is a little more upscale and allows kids. There is so much to do, you just don't want to hang out in port because it's just a little kinda unkept city. But don't miss the beaches!!

I love LOVE the Bahamas. I would never stay in port in Nassau though, if you do, you'll be disappointed for sure. I'm assuming since you're going on a caribbean cruise, you like beaches and outdoor activities...if so go to Atlantis, it's pricey but it'll be a great day. We are flying to Nassau on May 16th and staying at Atlantis for almost a whole week! We LOVE it there. The water in the Bahamas is amazing and I am a highly critical person. If you don't want to go to Atlantis to see the outdoor aquariums, beaches, pools etc., then go down to Breezes (adults only) and get a day pass to enjoy cable beach. The Melia is also another option that is a little more upscale and allows kids. There is so much to do, you just don't want to hang out in port because it's just a little kinda unkept city. But don't miss the beaches!!

We are flying to Nassau for the same week :) Great place to be. Baha Mar though.

We've been to Nassau a handful of times, and have always found fun things to do, and now we also have some favorite local places to have lunch that are an easy walk from the ship, especially Bahamian Cookin, which is the real deal. (Conch fritters, yum!)

On our most recent visit, just last month, we went to the Ardastra Zoo and Gardens to see their famous "marching flamingoes." We thought this would be hokey, but it was totally charming and we loved it. And we also got to spend half an hour hand-feeding the lorries (small parrots), which was awesome.

Do your research, find what might interest you. Don't spend the whole day on the ship!

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)