Sydney cruise terminal - pre OPT and White bay?

Hi all,

Just trying to see if I'm going a bit out of my mind or if I'm misremembering things.

We've been on 4 cruises, but the last 3 have been out of North American ports (Port Canaveral, Ketchikan and Vancouver). We'll be on the Majestic Princess at the end of the year and I'm keen to experience OPT for the first time. Our very first cruise was in 2002 on Pacific Sky out of Sydney, and I'm racking my brain trying to remember where we boarded. I'm almost certain it wasn't White Bay as it wouldn't have been built yet. I seem to remember it was somewhere near Barangaroo?

Hi all,

Just trying to see if I'm going a bit out of my mind or if I'm misremembering things.

We've been on 4 cruises, but the last 3 have been out of North American ports (Port Canaveral, Ketchikan and Vancouver). We'll be on the Majestic Princess at the end of the year and I'm keen to experience OPT for the first time. Our very first cruise was in 2002 on Pacific Sky out of Sydney, and I'm racking my brain trying to remember where we boarded. I'm almost certain it wasn't White Bay as it wouldn't have been built yet. I seem to remember it was somewhere near Barangaroo?

Yes, cruise ships, which could fit under the bridge, used to depart from a wharf with a marquee on what is now called Barangaroo.

But it wasn’t really pre-OPT.

THE OPT was still there for bigger ships (mum and dad dropped friends there, I’d guess late 60s, first people I ever knew who went on a cruise) and considering where the first fleet landed after giving up on Botany Bay, maybe the first ever cruise terminal in Aus.

But it wasn’t really pre-OPT.

THE OPT was still there for bigger ships (mum and dad dropped friends there, I’d guess late 60s, first people I ever knew who went on a cruise) and considering where the first fleet landed after giving up on Botany Bay, maybe the first ever cruise terminal in Aus.

Even the Fairstars were going from the OPT.

Well, I'm going to show my age....I remember seeing my Grandparents off at the OPT on the ....SS Orsova !

I'll show my age too....farewelled my aunt and uncle in the 60's at OPT after going on board for a look and visit to their cabin. We also had the streamers. That was fun.

I'll show my age too....farewelled my aunt and uncle in the 60's at OPT after going on board for a look and visit to their cabin. We also had the streamers. That was fun.

Streamers were fun but very messy. we had an aunt that went on a cruise and I remember going aboard as a child to see her room and various parts of the ship before the big send off. Would have been mid 70s.

I departed on Oriana thru the mid 80s til it's 3rd last trip in 86. Always from OPT and always with streamers. And yes Mic guests could come on board right up until after the streamers etc then went ashore.

I also use to have friends in the crew and I would go on board for the day as they did the changeover - many times over the years - was free to stroll all over the ship and have drinks in the crew bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruised out of OPT on the Canberra and old Oriana. Streamers, marching bands...and enjoyed showing friends and family who came on board around the ship.

There use to be a cruise terminal at Jones Bay Wharf in Pyrmont in the 50's and 60's. The wharves are still there, only now its restaurants and small boutique businesses. Doltone House function centre is now there too...seen many a wedding there.

I remember disembarking from the Fedor Shalyapin in 1979 in Sydney.

We cruised under the harbour bridge to a set of wharves on the left. I still remember how dusty the sheds were where we picked up our luggage.

The Arcadia was there as well waiting to go to Asia to be scrapped.

Took another 30 years to go on another cruise.