Sydney to NZ and Return

I was approached by an acquaintance today in my capacity of "cruise expert". lol :')

Anyway, her husband wishes to take her on a trip to New Zealand and she doesn’t fly. They’d like to see more than limited time in port allows and were wondering about cruising from Sydney to NZ, hiring a car for a week or two and then cruising back.

They have spoken to a TA who just said that it wasn’t possible. I suggested that it may be possible but they would need to book two seperate cruises. What are the chances of finding two such one way cruises?

Actually to add to my original post... there are so many cruises coming into and out of Auckland during the peak season I'd be very surprised if they couldn't cruise here, spend a week or more and then get another ship out of Auckland. Look at this schedule... so many ships. http://www.poal.co.nz/operations/schedules/cruise

Celebrity do one way cruises, we always Auckland to Sydney as that gives us time to catch up with friends in Auckland before boarding the ship. Also Princess will be doing some with Majestic Princess.

When do they want to go?

There is a Sydney to Auckland cruise on Majestic Princess departing 5th November 2018 and arriving 14th November, then there is an Auckland to Sydney cruise on Celebrity Solstice departing 20th November. That gives you 6 nights in NZ.

Also there is a Sydney to Auckland cruise on Majestic Princess departing 18th February 2019 and arriving 2nd March, then there is an Auckland to Sydney cruise on Celebrity Solstice departing 29th March. That would give you 4 weeks in NZ which would be great for touring both islands by car.

There may be options on other cruise lines too.

we are doing half of what your acquaintance sought. We have booked AKL-SYD 10N on Radiance OTS 24th Jan 2018 to get us home from NZ after our self-drive 12 nighter. As some have suggested, there is likely an itinerary that will let you do both ways by sea even if you have to use different cruiselines, depending on the timeframe.

Our land tour is all arranged now - thanks to some wonderful suggestions from the good folk on these boards :-)

Celebrity do one way cruises, we always Auckland to Sydney as that gives us time to catch up with friends in Auckland before boarding the ship. Also Princess will be doing some with Majestic Princess.

When do they want to go?

There is a Sydney to Auckland cruise on Majestic Princess departing 5th November 2018 and arriving 14th November, then there is an Auckland to Sydney cruise on Celebrity Solstice departing 20th November. That gives you 6 nights in NZ.

Also there is a Sydney to Auckland cruise on Majestic Princess departing 18th February 2019 and arriving 2nd March, then there is an Auckland to Sydney cruise on Celebrity Solstice departing 29th March. That would give you 4 weeks in NZ which would be great for touring both islands by car.

There may be options on other cruise lines too.

Thanks! I’ve passed these suggestions onto my acquaintance.

Thanks also to everyone else who has chipped in.

I was approached by an acquaintance today in my capacity of "cruise expert". lol :')

Anyway, her husband wishes to take her on a trip to New Zealand and she doesn’t fly. They’d like to see more than limited time in port allows and were wondering about cruising from Sydney to NZ, hiring a car for a week or two and then cruising back.

They have spoken to a TA who just said that it wasn’t possible. I suggested that it may be possible but they would need to book two seperate cruises. What are the chances of finding two such one way cruises?

Sounds like you need to change travel agent,then again who needs one when you have cruise critic experts

Cheers Carole