Bottomless Bubbles questions

BRC6C

I tried to find the answers to these but failed so I'm hoping you all can help me out!

1) is there any advantage to pre-purchasing the bubbles package? I know there's not a discount, but do you pay tax if you buy ahead vs not paying tax on the ship?

2) I read something confusing about sales tax and the bubble program. I thought it said if you use the package while in a US port you will be charged sales tax to your account. Is this true?

3) Is there sill a cup associated with the program? Years ago when you signed up you got an insulated cup. Is that still a thing?

Doesn’t matter when you buy it, you pay tax only on the drinks you have while in a US Port of Call.

Are you referring to a tax on a "free"drink already purchased, or a general purchase by someone who hadnt pre paid? I appreciate tax laws will change in different countries, but it seems nuts if its the former. I know Carnival pulled that stunt in Europe, but they should not have been charging a tax on an item that was obtained for $0.00

Maybe the laws are different in the US and the reason this was done - but I cant help thinking this is not right.

Are you referring to a tax on a "free"drink already purchased, or a general purchase by someone who hadnt pre paid? I appreciate tax laws will change in different countries, but it seems nuts if its the former. I know Carnival pulled that stunt in Europe, but they should not have been charging a tax on an item that was obtained for $0.00

Maybe the laws are different in the US and the reason this was done - but I cant help thinking this is not right.

It’s really not “free” as they do put a dollar value next to it and zero it out. Well that’s at least how they justify the tax anyway. It never used to be like that. I was so shocked the first time I experienced this way that I even started a thread from the ship. Let me see if I can find it. Here ya go:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2110226

It’s really not “free” as they do put a dollar value next to it and zero it out. Well that’s at least how they justify the tax anyway. It never used to be like that. I was so shocked the first time I experienced this way that I even started a thread from the ship. Let me see if I can find it. Here ya go:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2110226

Thank you for that.

So you were charged tax because you were American? Hmm.... I agree with your stance (its only 13 cents), but that does seem to make it even odder. So would I from the UK be charged? I know from experience US tax laws seem strange to me and I've never really got my head round you can be charged a different rate depending on where you are from. I guess the fact you as an American can claim back your VAT at a EU airport for purchases made, I cant really shout too much!

But on the subject of your drink.... I appreciate I used the word free - and of course there was a value - you paid it when BB was bought - but from then on, its at no cost. Well thats my take. You will probably recall the VAT Vista argument - and it is a fact they should not have been charging any tax on drinks if youve pre-paid. I know Carnival charged it, but they shouldnt have. The tax is a tax on what youve paid - which is nothing. I noted the invoice should +$1.50 and -$1.50 and then they forgot to show the -$0.13 tax back! lol

I know you cant win - (as you rightly said and walked away). But they should not have charged in Europe - but no doubt will when Horizon is launched. That cola would leave a nasty taste! lol

Anyway... I appreciate Miami and Caribbean may be different to Europe, so for there I'm just suggesting my opinion. For Europe though it should NOT be charged and they are wrong to do so. But I guess thats why they decided to stop selling Cheers..... more $$$$$

Thank you for that.

So you were charged tax because you were American? Hmm.... I agree with your stance (its only 13 cents), but that does seem to make it even odder. So would I from the UK be charged? I know from experience US tax laws seem strange to me and I've never really got my head round you can be charged a different rate depending on where you are from. I guess the fact you as an American can claim back your VAT at a EU airport for purchases made, I cant really shout too much!

But on the subject of your drink.... I appreciate I used the word free - and of course there was a value - you paid it when BB was bought - but from then on, its at no cost. Well thats my take. You will probably recall the VAT Vista argument - and it is a fact they should not have been charging any tax on drinks if youve pre-paid. I know Carnival charged it, but they shouldnt have. The tax is a tax on what youve paid - which is nothing. I noted the invoice should +$1.50 and -$1.50 and then they forgot to show the -$0.13 tax back! lol

I know you cant win - (as you rightly said and walked away). But they should not have charged in Europe - but no doubt will when Horizon is launched. That cola would leave a nasty taste! lol

Anyway... I appreciate Miami and Caribbean may be different to Europe, so for there I'm just suggesting my opinion. For Europe though it should NOT be charged and they are wrong to do so. But I guess thats why they decided to stop selling Cheers..... more $$$$$

I reread that first part and it came across wrong. Sorry for that. I was so bamboozled that I didn’t realized it posted that way. The bartender mumbled something about us being American and it was our country that made the law so we shouldn’t have a problem paying it. I’m a pretty patient person, but that kind of sent me into a What The !!!! moment. But no, you pay it no matter where you’re from.

I also think it’s jacked up but what can I do? Apparently they have no intentions of changing it and it must be legal since that was a few years ago.

I reread that first part and it came across wrong. Sorry for that. I was so bamboozled that I didn’t realized it posted that way. The bartender mumbled something about us being American and it was our country that made the law so we shouldn’t have a problem paying it. I’m a pretty patient person, but that kind of sent me into a What The !!!! moment. But no, you pay it no matter where you’re from.

I also think it’s jacked up but what can I do? Apparently they have no intentions of changing it and it must be legal since that was a few years ago.

Ah gotcha. Ok, I did think it a little odd (and make it even more complicated) if they were charging different rates on the ship depending on nationalities!

And it may well be that US tax laws on drinks make it mandatory to charge the tax on something that cost you nothing at point of sale. Yes, there isn't much if anything you can do. It would be a bit silly to avoid paying the tax in favour of wasting your drink package and abstaining! But I can tell you in Europe when Carnival did this on Vista, it was the first time that stunt had been pulled. They were even charging it outside of a port (or the premise the starting cruise port tax prevailed on the entire cruise apart from when in a different country port, when that countries tax took over.) Dont get me wrong - and its the Spanish who got this kicked off - they have to collect taxes on actual $$$ sales made. But not on purchases that cost zero. The "what it would have cost you tax" doesnt exist.

I have seen comments that this tactic has now been followed by NCL, though that's unverified. Do I think that "tax money" collected found its way to the tax man? Nope. Do I think its been don't through ignorance of EU tax laws? Nope - quite the opposite.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs and legal obligations, its morally bankrupt.

Edited by les37b

Thank you for that.

This is really interesting because we’ve been having this discussion on a roll call.

For the inaugural Horizon sailing JH has stated the VAT won’t be charged on Cheers & Bubbles. I’m hoping that’s the case but we’ll soon find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is really interesting because we’ve been having this discussion on a roll call.

For the inaugural Horizon sailing JH has stated the VAT won’t be charged on Cheers & Bubbles. I’m hoping that’s the case but we’ll soon find out.

They honestly made such a hash of it on Vista and each cruise they changed the rules. (It started off badly when the Turkish port was cancelled, meaning the cruise no longer left EU waters.)

Ive just looked at the itineraries for April. Is yous starting Barcelona and just visiting Italy and France?

If it is, the way it should work..... if you pre pay for cheers, then you don't pay any tax and every drink you have, no "what it would have cost tax" should be charged. If you buy on the ship, then you will be charged 10% tax for the package and no tax on any drinks obtained.

If you have no package and are pay as you go, then you will be taxed for each and every drink you have regardless of obtaining in port or outside.

Because the cruise doesn't leave EU waters, its deemed to still be in Spain for tax purposes all except from when in port in Italy or France, where those countries tax rates kick in instead of Spanish.

That is how it should work. (That said, its only being charged now because the Spanish saw a loophole to gain cruise revenue..... shocking really!)

As Id said, on Vista there was not one cruise they got right. Mine was the nearest, where the above was actually done. However, people without cheers or BB and buying drinks were getting hit with VAT at 21%. Completely wrong. Spanish VAT normal rate IS 21% but not for purchases of food and drink which should be 10%. It was pointed out and they refused to budge. A nice little illegal earner.

Good luck with yours .... hope they get it right and Carnival have finally learned how it works.

Were you on Vista? Your username rings a bell of someone on one of the Med cruises for Vista.

They honestly made such a hash of it on Vista and each cruise they changed the rules. (It started off badly when the Turkish port was cancelled, meaning the cruise no longer left EU waters.)

Ive just looked at the itineraries for April. Is yous starting Barcelona and just visiting Italy and France?

If it is, the way it should work..... if you pre pay for cheers, then you don't pay any tax and every drink you have, no "what it would have cost tax" should be charged. If you buy on the ship, then you will be charged 10% tax for the package and no tax on any drinks obtained.

If you have no package and are pay as you go, then you will be taxed for each and every drink you have regardless of obtaining in port or outside.

Because the cruise doesn't leave EU waters, its deemed to still be in Spain for tax purposes all except from when in port in Italy or France, where those countries tax rates kick in instead of Spanish.

That is how it should work. (That said, its only being charged now because the Spanish saw a loophole to gain cruise revenue..... shocking really!)

As Id said, on Vista there was not one cruise they got right. Mine was the nearest, where the above was actually done. However, people without cheers or BB and buying drinks were getting hit with VAT at 21%. Completely wrong. Spanish VAT normal rate IS 21% but not for purchases of food and drink which should be 10%. It was pointed out and they refused to budge. A nice little illegal earner.

Good luck with yours .... hope they get it right and Carnival have finally learned how it works.

I did the same 8 days B2B & was charged differently on each. I was PAYG then but Cheers this time. Hopefully they’ll get it right.

When in American waters they charge sales tax based on the state laws they are in . I wild rather pay the tax on drinks than . Then have them charge the tax on the whole cost of the program when purchased . Just like some ports need can do the alcohol program cause of state law .

I did the same 8 days B2B & was charged differently on each. I was PAYG then but Cheers this time. Hopefully they’ll get it right.

Were you one of those who were refused to be allowed to buy cheers? That was the first cruise after mine.... which luckily for me was the only cruise they got right for cheers out of all the Med cruises that summer from memory.

As you say, let’s hope they’ve learned the correct and legal ways and rates for Horizon. Have a great trip.

I’m off to Singapore in 4 days for my next cruise... luckily there is no FTTF, gratuities, cheers or any of those “extras” to worry about. It’s all inclusive...

Were you one of those who were refused to be allowed to buy cheers? That was the first cruise after mine.... which luckily for me was the only cruise they got right for cheers out of all the Med cruises that summer from memory.

As you say, let’s hope they’ve learned the correct and legal ways and rates for Horizon. Have a great trip.

I’m off to Singapore in 4 days for my next cruise... luckily there is no FTTF, gratuities, cheers or any of those “extras” to worry about. It’s all inclusive...

I was 18th Aug then 26th Aug I think they were the dates. No I didn’t buy Cheers for either but was charged more VAT on purchases the second cruise.

I was 18th Aug then 26th Aug I think they were the dates. No I didn’t buy Cheers for either but was charged more VAT on purchases the second cruise.

Ah ok. I was on the 26th also.

And yes, they illegally charged you 21% for your drinks when it should have been 10%. Was the starting point of your first also Barcelona?

They refused to hand the money back to those who complained.

Did you get to witness the destruction of the marina in Messina? Scary stuff. I could see from where I was the Ship was wildly off course and would hit about 200 metres before they woke up and wiped out with a tsunami! You always like to think they know what they’re doing but on this occasion they certainly didn’t.

Ah ok. I was on the 26th also.

And yes, they illegally charged you 21% for your drinks when it should have been 10%.

They refused to hand the money back to those who complained.

Did you get to witness the destruction of the marina in Messina? Scary stuff. I could see from where I was the Ship was wildly off course and would hit about 200 metres before they woke up and wiped out with a tsunami! You always like to think they know what they’re doing but on this occasion they certainly didn’t.

Yes I was in the red frog pub & felt the whole ship move, we went outside & saw the aftermath.

Yes I was in the red frog pub & felt the whole ship move, we went outside & saw the aftermath.

A grand stand view was much better! lol

It’s annoying as I always video ships arriving and departing ports. I had two go pros in action. One forward facing so saw nothing... the other would have captured the whole thing in 4K but the clamp I used felt loose and I didn’t want to risk losing the camera.

Did you go to the meet and greet in the Havana? We must have met I guess... seems a long time ago now.

A grand stand view was much better! lol

It’s annoying as I always video ships arriving and departing ports. I had two go pros in action. One forward facing so saw nothing... the other would have captured the whole thing in 4K but the clamp I used felt loose and I didn’t want to risk losing the camera.

Did you go to the meet and greet in the Havana? We must have met I guess... seems a long time ago now.

I did go to the meet & greet in Havana. I only really spoke to a lady called Mary who I was sharing a tour with.

Enjoy your next cruise it sounds wonderful.

Ah gotcha. Ok, I did think it a little odd (and make it even more complicated) if they were charging different rates on the ship depending on nationalities!

And it may well be that US tax laws on drinks make it mandatory to charge the tax on something that cost you nothing at point of sale. Yes, there isn't much if anything you can do. It would be a bit silly to avoid paying the tax in favour of wasting your drink package and abstaining! But I can tell you in Europe when Carnival did this on Vista, it was the first time that stunt had been pulled. They were even charging it outside of a port (or the premise the starting cruise port tax prevailed on the entire cruise apart from when in a different country port, when that countries tax took over.) Dont get me wrong - and its the Spanish who got this kicked off - they have to collect taxes on actual $$$ sales made. But not on purchases that cost zero. The "what it would have cost you tax" doesnt exist.

I have seen comments that this tactic has now been followed by NCL, though that's unverified. Do I think that "tax money" collected found its way to the tax man? Nope. Do I think its been don't through ignorance of EU tax laws? Nope - quite the opposite.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs and legal obligations, its morally bankrupt.

When we sailed NCL from Miami in 2016 we were charged FL sales tax on drinks ordered while still in FL waters. This was with the beverage perk so there was no charge for the drink.

It may vary from state to state, but I'm pretty sure in PA you are only supposed to pay sales tax on the final cost of the item to you. I saw a sign at Walmart about a class action suit for collecting sales tax on the full price of taxable items rather than the cost after coupons were applied.

When in American waters they charge sales tax based on the state laws they are in . I wild rather pay the tax on drinks than . Then have them charge the tax on the whole cost of the program when purchased . Just like some ports need can do the alcohol program cause of state law .

Exactly as Timelman said... keep in mind it is while you are in American waters that you are paying tax... so it doesn't mean the minute you pull away from the dock either. There are some ports where it can take a while to get out to international waters so the first couple hours you will pay that tax.

When we sailed NCL from Miami in 2016 we were charged FL sales tax on drinks ordered while still in FL waters. This was with the beverage perk so there was no charge for the drink.

It may vary from state to state, but I'm pretty sure in PA you are only supposed to pay sales tax on the final cost of the item to you. I saw a sign at Walmart about a class action suit for collecting sales tax on the full price of taxable items rather than the cost after coupons were applied.

I don’t know how the tax laws work in the US and appreciate they may be able to charge tax for an already purchased so free to you effectively drink. It may be different to Europe. But VAT is a tax on the purchase price. What Carnival did was a racket... especially charging 21% on purchases when all they were entitled to take was 10%

You don’t get to choose the rates and amounts that the government require from you.... so where did that money go?

Doesn’t matter when you buy it, you pay tax only on the drinks you have while in a US Port of Call.

Carnival hasn’t given out cups with the package ever since I started sailing with them back in 2003 so that’s a no. But you can buy one.

Maybe it's different with kids. My grandsons were given tall mugs with their Bubbles just 2 years ago. We are taking them on a cruise the 24th of March, and they have Bubbles. I will see if they get mugs again.

Maybe it's different with kids. My grandsons were given tall mugs with their Bubbles just 2 years ago. We are taking them on a cruise the 24th of March, and they have Bubbles. I will see if they get mugs again.

They have always been extra and I've had BB on all of my Carnival cruises except Vista where I got Cheers. Even my kids and nieces have gotten BB. No free mugs. But yeah, you'll have to see next time.

Well that’s at least how they justify the tax anyway.

How they “justify” the tax?! Do you think they want to collect and remit tax? Do you have any idea what a pain it the butt it is to do so? If they charge tax it’s because they have to. They don’t get to keep it, or even a portion of it. And it actually costs them money to manage the tax filings related to remitting the tax. If they could avoid it altogether, from a business standpoint, they definitely would.