Outlet questions

JGORD7

30 cruises and never used one. I have found what is there works just fine for charging things as needed and my own blower dryer and curling iron.

Just need to charge things one at a time when you aren't using the plug for other things or overnight.

Do you really need a power strip to plug things in?

Only if you want to plug in more than one thing at a time.

Are they even allowed?

Yes, power strips without surge protection are allowed.

How many are normally in your cabin?

There is one outlet in your cabin (see the answer to the first question).

Only if you want to plug in more than one thing at a time.

Yes, power strips without surge protection are allowed.

There is one outlet in your cabin (see the answer to the first question).

Awesome thanks for all the replies. I got to tell you this site is wonderful & just full of information. Also, very very kind people!

Do you really need a power strip to plug things in? Are they even allowed? How many are normally in your cabin? I am on the Liberty in April. Thanks!

Just one thing, in addition to the good advice you've received thus far, you don't mention what type of cabin you have booked. We were in an OS on Conquest (sister ship to Liberty) and there was a plug at the desk (as mentioned) and another below the dressing room table outside the bathroom. There were also two plugs behind the television that could be used if you did not need the TV.

apparently we have more toys then wemjam, cameras, phones, ipads, Kindles and such, so this is what we bring on every cruise

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-3-ft-Cord-YLPT-90A/203353675

OMG yep you are right! I cruise to unplug I guess I am in the minority. NO cell phones until very last night to make sure it is charged when we get off (otherwise locked in the safe the whole time), 1 tablet for my husband to read his books on, battery for the Underwater camera as needed (usually once the whole cruise)... and then my blow dryer and curling iron as needed... That is IT! :eek:

Just one thing, in addition to the good advice you've received thus far, you don't mention what type of cabin you have booked. We were in an OS on Conquest (sister ship to Liberty) and there was a plug at the desk (as mentioned) and another below the dressing room table outside the bathroom. There were also two plugs behind the television that could be used if you did not need the TV.

We are in a premium balcony cabin...8449

apparently we have more toys then wemjam, cameras, phones, ipads, Kindles and such, so this is what we bring on every cruise

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Power-Strip-with-3-ft-Cord-YLPT-90A/203353675

That CANNOT be used on any ship according to posters here, that is in fact, a surge protector!

Can someone please confirm?

That CANNOT be used on any ship according to posters here, that is in fact, a surge protector!

That isn't a surge protector, from what i've read you just can't have a strip with a surge protector.

That's a power strip, not a surge protector. I see so many people get these cheap power strips and plug their TVs/Computers/etc into them then wonder why/how they get fried during storms. This is perfect for a ship.

That's a power strip, not a surge protector. I see so many people get these cheap power strips and plug their TVs/Computers/etc into them then wonder why/how they get fried during storms. This is perfect for a ship.

If you click on the link it says, surge protector and has a 3 prong plug, which is a built in ground which Carnival does not allow.

So who is right?

I found this just now

https://www.sfcable.com/13-port-usb-2-0-hub-with-power-adapter.html?gdffi=afde19f4670e4f608861514cfe93a30d&gdfms=F506474E337E4745B7E733704EFE639A&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20Shop%20-%20Accessories%20-%20KVM%20%26%20Switches&utm_term=1100203532734&utm_content=LOW%20%7C%20HB-U14P%20%7C%2013-Port%20USB%202.0%20Hub%20with%20Power%20Adapter%20%7C%20%2424.95

Just because something has a 3 prong plug, doesn't mean it's a surge protector. No, the item does not state anywhere on it that it has a surge protector. You may want to look again.

Also the second item you linked to, has nothing to do with the others. That's a USB hub. You cannot plug a hair dryer, video game chargers, etc., into that.

Not sure what you are looking at, but the link in the post that you are referring to does not have a surge protector. I take one just like it. Having a grounded plug is not the same as a surge protector. The link that you placed on here has absolutely nothing to do with the power strip that was presented before. Not sure if you even looked at it, but it is a USB hub and does not plug into an outlet.

Not sure what you are looking at, but the link in the post that you are referring to does not have a surge protector. I take one just like it. Having a grounded plug is not the same as a surge protector. The link that you placed on here has absolutely nothing to do with the power strip that was presented before. Not sure if you even looked at it, but it is a USB hub and does not plug into an outlet.

I'm pretty sure they didn't even look at it.

That is what I have plugged into my computer to connect numerous external hard drives, my Cricut, digital cameras and flash drives.

You can not find a surge protector for $3.95 anywhere, it is NOT a surge protector. The one you post will not work for any 110 plug ins, hair dryers, laptops and such and it's $25

Edited by coevan
sp

I have been on 20 cruises and I have carried and additional outlet plug on everyone ..... I had a small one for about the first 8 cruises ... and then we left a bag on a shuttle van that had my outlet plug in it ... so then I ordered one from Amazon that has two usb ports and 3 plug ins ....... I have helped over 68 people book cruises and I tell everyone of them to always carry an outlet plug in ..... but that is just my opinion and I always use them .... for blow dryer, phone charger, camera charger, etc .....

If you follow the Home Depot specs it states "does not have a resettable surge protector. Also the electric plugs on the ship allow for 3 prongs. The Vista class ships have 2 USA plugs, 1 Euro, and 2 USB (I took a picture on the Vista). I believe that ships going in for dry dock are getting plugs by each bedside lamp.

26689364666_4336ce42ec_o.jpg

Uh, you're not quite correct. Nothing in the link to the first power strip says anything about surge protection, and that strip I know personally does not have surge protection.

Second, you have seriously misunderstood the descriptions of surge protectors and their dangers on ships if you think that a "built in" ground is disallowed. Ships use a ground connection in their wiring, just as is done on land, for protection against electric shock. If a ground connection ("built in") was not allowed, why are the outlets 3-prong (hot, neutral, ground) outlets? Even the 220v outlet shown in the photo above has a ground connection, its those two little metal tabs at the "12 o'clock" and "6 o'clock" positions of the round recess. Having a 3-prong plug does not make anything a surge protector. Every piece of electrical equipment that Carnival has put on the ship uses a ground, and if it plugs in, it has a 3-prong plug. What I have posted many, many times in the past is the opposite: If it doesn't have a 3-prong plug, it can't be surge protected. But, because that statement is true, does not mean the opposite statement is also true. In addition to having a 3-prong plug, a surge protector will have a couple of ratings mentioned in the specifications: "joules of protection" and "clamping voltage". Without either of these being mentioned, the power strip isn't surge protected.