Internet packages: Which one to choose?

psygist

Princess offers 3 internet packages: Social, Surf, and Premium. Not sure which one to choose. Don't need streaming but would like unlimited email and general internet surfing. Thinking of the midlevel Surf package, but don't know if it is unlimited. Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

Which ship are you on? Princess is only offering such packages as a test on a very limited basis. Most of the rest of us only have the standard per-minute packages to choose from.

Can you share with us the cost, and what each package covers? Maybe copy and paste the information from your Cruise Personalizer.

Which ship are you on? Princess is only offering such packages as a test on a very limited basis. Most of the rest of us only have the standard per-minute packages to choose from.

Can you share with us the cost, and what each package covers?

Coral Princess

PrincessCONNECT — Premium Package

$109.99

From e-mail to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

Original price: $139.99 USD

All Internet usage subject to Princess Cruises' standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change.

PrincessCONNECT — Surf Package

$79.99

Surf your favorite sites from e-mail, news, sports and more.*

Original price: $99.99 USD

*May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.

PrincessCONNECT — Social Package

$59.99

Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications.*

Original price: $69.99 USD

*May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.

Assuming a seven night cruise, about $16/day for the Premium package blows away the old per minute packages.

You can save $30 with the Surf package if you are totally sure you will not need any live streaming for the week, and are willing to take the risk that a site you wish to visit isn't blocked by Princess because others stream off it. But I would just buy the Premium right off.

(and thank you for the quick info, lots of confusion on the board as to what the slowly appearing new packages entail)

You'll likely be able to do everything you want with the middle package. After all, you aren't downloading movies or playing interactive video games. But for a $30 difference, is it worth them blocking a site that you want to use because they determine that it uses "too much" bandwidth or intentionally slowing your service?

This is way cheaper than the "per minute" service if you use much and is coming more in keeping with the costs and services on other cruise lines. Unfortunately, our bookings are still on the "per minute" ships.

Yes, all the packages are "unlimited" in terms of time. The differ in terms of which sites may be blocked and how much they will slow you down if they determine there is too much usage.

In my experience the ships internet is slow. Really really slow. The premium package allows streaming so it is probably going to be quicker. Thinking about how much you are going to need to use it will determine your choice.

The Surf package would probably be fine but I’d probably go for the premium because although I don’t stream I don’t like sitting there waiting for pages to load and email to download.

In my experience the ships internet is slow. Really really slow. The premium package allows streaming so it is probably going to be quicker. Thinking about how much you are going to need to use it will determine your choice.

The Surf package would probably be fine but I’d probably go for the premium because although I don’t stream I don’t like sitting there waiting for pages to load and email to download.

I was able to have facetime video chats on both Coral and Crown, albeit off-peak times.

My guess is that it will be a hybrid of certain sites blocked and bandwidth limits for individual connections; possibly congestion based bandwidth limits (the congestion based guess is because they imply audio/video calls may sometimes work on the middle plan).

Have you been on one of the ships with the new system? Those are the ones with the unlimited packages. It is supposed to be much faster....I have no experience with the new set-up.

I can attest that the problem with internet speed is a Princess issue. Other lines have much faster, more efficient internet, so I'm hoping that the new system Princess is installing will be state of the art.

We are on the Regal on April 29th and still cannot sign up or even know what is available. Disappointed that Princess is revealing a new internet service but can't tell passengers what is available. What are passengers using now? What is the mystery?

We are on the Regal on April 29th and still cannot sign up or even know what is available. Disappointed that Princess is revealing a new internet service but can't tell passengers what is available. What are passengers using now? What is the mystery?

We are on the Royal on April 16th and only have the per minute packages available.

I don't care that the ***** program isn't ready but it seems to me that if Coral can have better internet costs/packages, shouldn't Regal and Royal have that too? Aren't these their newest, bestest ships? :D

ML

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in April. It seems that per minute is the only type of internet available. I'm not familiar with how per minute works. Do I have to log in and out every time I want to use google or can I leave it on constantly? Does it use up the minutes even if I'm not actually using the internet?

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in April. It seems that per minute is the only type of internet available. I'm not familiar with how per minute works. Do I have to log in and out every time I want to use google or can I leave it on constantly? Does it use up the minutes even if I'm not actually using the internet?

Yes, you have to log in and out every time. If you leave it on, you'll use minutes.

On the Grand a couple of weeks ago, we had a chance to compare the two internet services -- we had free minutes because we're platinum. Service was slow and we lost minutes waiting for things to connect -- at the time, I blamed on the fact we were in the middle of a bunch of sea days heading to/from Hawaii. One we used up our minutes, we bought additional internet time through the new packages -- we each selected the "surf" package. It is so much faster than the regular per minute internet - a completely different experience.

But it is expensive -- $14.99 per day for 'social; $24.99 per day for 'surf' and $29.99 per day for 'premium'. Towards the end of the cruise they offered it at a discount which is when we signed up. No more counting minutes!!

I am hoping they change the 'free' internet packages to some portion of this new service --- either some free days -- or a discount off the regular price.

I’m on the Grand next year and they also offer these 3 packages. Does anyone know if it applies to the booking or to a specific person? Can my DH and I both use it at the same time?

If you get one package, it can be used by one device at a time. You can sign off of one device and sign on with another.

To use two devices at the same time, you will need to get two packages.

On the Grand a couple of weeks ago, we had a chance to compare the two internet services -- we had free minutes because we're platinum. Service was slow and we lost minutes waiting for things to connect -- at the time, I blamed on the fact we were in the middle of a bunch of sea days heading to/from Hawaii. One we used up our minutes, we bought additional internet time through the new packages -- we each selected the "surf" package. It is so much faster than the regular per minute internet - a completely different experience.

But it is expensive -- $14.99 per day for 'social; $24.99 per day for 'surf' and $29.99 per day for 'premium'. Towards the end of the cruise they offered it at a discount which is when we signed up. No more counting minutes!!

I am hoping they change the 'free' internet packages to some portion of this new service --- either some free days -- or a discount off the regular price.

This is very interesting. One Princess web page said that they would give the middle package to Elite guests in lieu of the "minutes" on ships with the high speed internet. Seems like another issue of sorting it all out.

I wish I had those choices these are the packages on my next Princess Cruise, all per minute and costly compared to other lines.

Sun Princess Asia Cruise

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise And Save!

120 Minutes $69.00

This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes.

240 minutes $99.00

This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes.

460 minutes $159.00

This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes.

680 minutes $199.00

This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes.

I wish I had those choices these are the packages on my next Princess Cruise, all per minute and costly compared to other lines.

Sun Princess Asia Cruise

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise And Save!

120 Minutes $69.00

This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes.

240 minutes $99.00

This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes.

460 minutes $159.00

This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes.

680 minutes $199.00

This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes.

Exactly, this is what has been available on Princess for some time. And I agree, the cost is high when compared to other lines!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My husband may have to log in to his work during the cruise. We are considering Coral for an Alaska cruise. Although Royal is also doing the AK route and has the new Medallion setup, I have read on these Boards that Coral is best for AK. I am concerned about the slow internet speed though. Are there any packages that give a higher internet speed?

37 minutes ago, comet87 said:

My husband may have to log in to his work during the cruise. We are considering Coral for an Alaska cruise. Although Royal is also doing the AK route and has the new Medallion setup, I have read on these Boards that Coral is best for AK. I am concerned about the slow internet speed though. Are there any packages that give a higher internet speed?

Even though the Coral is not scheduled to be MedallionClass until 10/16/20 (using the Medallion & apps) the ship currently has the faster MedallionNet.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

My recent experience using MedallionNet was fast on the West Coast but have read posts about it being much slower in latitudes closer to the poles.  On my cruise they didn’t have different types of unlimited plans like discussed in 2018.  The unlimited plan options were for either 1 device signed in at a time or for 4 devices at a time for unlimited internet access.

Are you eligible for free platinum/elite minutes?  If so, I could have exchanged those minutes for a 25% discount from the pre-cruise purchase price.  Purchasing in advance is by chargecard but onboard can use OBC.

I like the Royal-Class ships but think the Coral is even better particularly on scenic itineraries.  Since the Royal & Coral both have the MedallionNet system your internet experience should be the same in Alaska or anywhere else around the world where the ship’s location affects even the faster MedallionNet system.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Thank you! I didn't realize there was a separation between MedallionNet and using the Medallion on the Medallion Class ships. That is also good to know that you like the Coral for the scenic itineraries like Alaska. Now to figure out which deck/cabin to reserve!  🙂 

42 minutes ago, comet87 said:

Thank you! I didn't realize there was a separation between MedallionNet and using the Medallion on the Medallion Class ships. That is also good to know that you like the Coral for the scenic itineraries like Alaska. Now to figure out which deck/cabin to reserve!  🙂 

You’re welcome...we’re all learning new things about the implementation of MedallionClass & MedallionNet.  Thankfully the Coral didn’t have the changes made to the Island to add more cabins resulting in a less desirable ship for me.

On our most recent Alaska cruise on the Coral friends said that our interior cabin had a great balcony.  Once onboard we understood what they meant...the great partially covered viewing deck with loungers just steps away from our B727 cabin & that viewing area is also available on Caribe deck.

Here’s a link to balcony cabin information for the Coral:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

EF9BF92B-F6BB-446E-AF05-12087970934E.jpeg

6CD1C493-AB9A-4CC6-A86F-47FE5E8F1291.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, comet87 said:

Unwelcome answer: Often, but that doesn't mean "higher" is "high".

In Alaska, the satellites that provide the 10x cheaper internet uplinks to ships are below the southern horizon. Since your ship doesn't charge 10x more for internet on Alaska cruises, everybody ends up carving up 1/10th the bandwidth.

Worse answer: Many times on an Alaskan cruise there will be no internet.

Even the more expensive satellites in higher orbits still lie low in the sky.  In Glacier Bay, the valley walls block them. If you are berthed at the Railroad Docks in Skagway, the hills there do the same.  If you are behind Davis Island in Juneau, same story...