Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

We went to the WalMart in PV and bought dramamine, 100% vanilla, and wine. We paid $18 for a bottle that was $72 onboard the ship.

Why dramamine, you didn't bring any with you? The '100 % vanilla' is automatically suspect, and the wine is totally suspect in Mexico. Do you actually believe that that $18 bottle of wine (bought in Mexico) is the same bottle that is available onboard?

Why dramamine, you didn't bring any with you? The '100 % vanilla' is automatically suspect, and the wine is totally suspect in Mexico. Do you actually believe that that $18 bottle of wine (bought in Mexico) is the same bottle that is available onboard?

There is nothing "suspect" in the wine sold at Walmart, Sams, Costco, Vinos America, La Playa, or most other decent stores in PV. Do you truly think that Walmart is importing counterfeit wine :). The problem with wine in Mexico is that the Mexican government imposes heavy import taxes on most foreign wine (Chile is one exception due to some kind of reciprocal trade agreement). While wine prices in Mexico are certainly much better then the prices on ships, most US and European wines will actually cost more in Mexico then at home. In fact if you were to go over to Costco in Puerto Vallarta you would find a decent selection of excellent wines including items like Chateau Haut Brion, Lafitte Rothchild, and other pricey bottles. They also carry an excellent selection of medium priced wines from places like the USA, France, Spain, Italy, etc.. Believe it or not, but those of us who live in Mexico for part or all of the year do also enjoy good wine :). Although many think of Mexico as another third world country you might consider that in Puerto Vallarta we have two Walmart superstores, Costco, Sams, and recently we got a new higher end Supermarket (La Comer) that we look forward to checking out when we get back into town.

As to your specific question, that $18 bottle of wine in Mexico will likely cost $50+ on most cruise ships. That being said, Walmart is not where we would normally go to buy wine.

By the way, speaking of wines there are actually some pretty decent Mexican wines. As an example, Casa Madero has several decent medium priced wines. And before you scoff you might consider that its the oldest winery in all of North America...dating back to 1597.

Hank

question-is the Walmart still right by the ship in PV? We are on Carnival Splendor 7/18 & might check it out if its convenient for vanilla & forgotten items needed.

We did NCL Epic Med cruise last year and we loved going into all the markets, so different !! There were some amazing markets in Barcelona as well as open air market in Cannes. sigh.

Carnival allows each passenger to bring aboard a 12 pk of soda at embarkation. Does anyone know if Carnival allows passengers to bring 12 pk soda back onboard from port for consumption on cruise?

I know booze is kept til the end of the cruise, but does Carnival allow reboarding with sodas water etc?

Thanks much

Liz in LB

Yep, Walmart is still across the street from port. And, you can bring onboard Carnival non-alcoholic drinks in cans and cartons, no bottles, from any port.

Carnival no longer allows bottles of beverages to be brought onboard from

port. They’ll hold alcoholic beverages but don’t know if they’ll hold non-alcoholic bottled drinks.

12 packs of 500ml water bottles are $4.99. Preorder or ordered thru room service.

• 1 month later...

I visit Wal Mart and other stores while visiting different ports. It not to really buy things, (but I do if I see something I want) but to see how others live in this world. It is great insight to walk into stores and see how they are set up and what they are selling. It is interesting to see how they function. If you know anything about sociology it is amazing. What I try and avoid are stores set up just for us, the tourist. They are not real and give no impression of the country.

I visit Wal Mart and other stores while visiting different ports. It not to really buy things, (but I do if I see something I want) but to see how others live in this world. It is great insight to walk into stores and see how they are set up and what they are selling. It is interesting to see how they function. If you know anything about sociology it is amazing. What I try and avoid are stores set up just for us, the tourist. They are not real and give no impression of the country.

I can think of a lot better things to do on a cruise than conduct my own 'sociology study' on the different ports. Had enough of that in HS and college! ;):)

How far is the costco? Do they sell local items in bulk that we might want to bring back to the states? We like to go to markets too wherever we travel. We buy locally produced, food, alchohol, hot sauces, mixes, etc.

There’s a Sam’s Club next door to Walmart, across from port. Walmart has a very good dry mole mix. Usually found on a little stand across from the bakery.

There’s a Mercado at the first street behind Sam’s Club. Southeast corner of the intersection with the street light. The tortilleria has very good salsa. We usually buy a dozen tortillas and a cup of salsa for the ship.

How far is the costco? Do they sell local items in bulk that we might want to bring back to the states? We like to go to markets too wherever we travel. We buy locally produced, food, alchohol, hot sauces, mixes, etc.

Costco is no more then a 10 minute cabride from the cruise terminal. Unfortunately it is not very convenient to go there by local bus. You can check google maps and see the locations.

I can think of a lot better things to do on a cruise than conduct my own 'sociology study' on the different ports. Had enough of that in HS and college! ;):)

To each their own. I don't understand people who go sit by a pool or on a beach. I have many nice pools to sit around at home and in California, we have some of the best looking beaches in the world.

To each their own. I don't understand people who go sit by a pool or on a beach. I have many nice pools to sit around at home and in California, we have some of the best looking beaches in the world.

You also have 167 Walmart's :D:D

Hank

Well, if you don't want to go to Walmart, you can always go to Costco:

https://www.costco.com/warehouse-locations/puerto-vallarta-jalisco-721.html

Well the truth is that we have two Walmart Superstores (this is good for cruisers who cruise to go to Walmart's), 1 Costco and 1 Sams (next door to Walmart). And there is even a Home Depot only a few miles away for those that get their kicks in that venue. What a way to cruise :). And while your at it you can stop at McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC, Subway and Carl's Jr. Just like being at home.

Hank

Ok. Laugh at me.

We like a dry mole’ mix, vanilla and the carton juices at the port Walmart. They also sell Sea of Cortez salt.

Also find odd and not so odd kitchen gadgets at the Walmart across the street. Really like the TFal cooking utensils for 16 pesos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok. Laugh at me.

We like a dry mole’ mix, vanilla and the carton juices at the port Walmart. They also sell Sea of Cortez salt.

Also find odd and not so odd kitchen gadgets at the Walmart across the street. Really like the TFal cooking utensils for 16 pesos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would laugh at you but now I'm thinking about possibly packing an extra suitcase just to do a little shopping there. I mean T-fal utensils for 16 pesos is a good deal.

I'm one of those thrifty people who pinch pennies on groceries and sundry items. I look for the cheapest gas in town, use coupons, shop for clothes at thrift stores. But, when it's time to book a cruise, I'm OK with spending $8000 for a 10-day cruise to the Caribbean. I know a good psychologist could tell me why I spend money that way. I sure can't figure it out.

We are just like you -- we are very thrifty -- but we have well over 400 days on cruise ships. We would never spring for a suite, but we have always done balconies since they became so common. (our first bunch of cruises were pre-balcony and the early ones were crazy expensive) -- we have currently have 49 days booked

One of the reasons we can do so many cruises is the way we choose to live day to day. I don't think we're crazy, but other people might.

We love going to Walmart in PV -- it is an interesting cultural experience -- and free :D(plus we've been to PV 20 or so times)

We love going to Walmart in PV -- it is an interesting cultural experience -- and free :D(plus we've been to PV 20 or so times)

Let me clarify --- we enjoy going to Walmart in PV -- love was way too strong a word :p

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

I never go to walmart, I think walmart is the most disgusting company in the USA. They pay only minimum wage and make people live in poverty, while the CEO is making millions. The CEO has one of the highest pays in the retail segment of the world. There was a study done to show how much the CEO of walmart makes, that if you took his pay and the four vice presidents pay and only gave them one million each and then distributed all the excess pay to all the employees that they would all start at twelve dollars per hour . In Mexico they don't have a minimum wage so just think what these poor people are earning at the stores in Mexico.

I live in New York City. We will not even let Walmart into NYC. They are Anti Union, and treat their employees like dirt. Please Don't support an outfit like this. It was our forefathers, who founded the Unions, that make our way of life possible. I wouldn't go toa Walmart in the States never mind Mexico

• 1 month later...
:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

I live in New York City. We will not even let Walmart into NYC. They are Anti Union, and treat their employees like dirt. Please Don't support an outfit like this. It was our forefathers, who founded the Unions, that make our way of life possible. I wouldn't go toa Walmart in the States never mind Mexico

I'm not a union supporter but I like to shop small and no way in he!! is Walmart small so I've never been in one. There's got to be some small store down there or even a flea market for an unusual souvenir

DW and I were both born in NYC...and our DD now lives in lower Manhattan. In their upscale Manhattan neighborhood there are plenty of small stores and many do their shopping online and have their food, supplies, and other things delivered :). But when she comes back to Pennsylvania to visit, she and her DH are usually running around to Walmart, Costco and other large stores to buy stuff at a far lower cost...not to mention having a larger selection. Walmart has its place...although I do warn my wife that she must wear a mask when she goes to Walmart (so none of the neighbors will see her). Of course all the neighbors are also shopping in Walmart....but everyone wears disguises :).

To paraphrase Yogi.....Walmart is always crowded by nobody shops there. However, it still is the largest retailer (by far) in the world. And for a company who treats employees like "dirt" (as somebody posted) they sure have no problem getting and keeping employees. In the USA they employ over 1.4 million folks. And now you have the rest of the story :). In NYC they have managed to keep out Walmart....while they still have over 350,000 on public assistance...some of whom might be happy to have a job in Walmart.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner