Heads Up if Booking a Future Cruise on Board

One of my group booked a cruise while on board the Breeze last week. She asked to transfer the booking to her Travel Agent of Record, which I have previously done many times.

She was told by the salesman at the Future Cruise Desk that while she could transfer the booking, there was no point in doing so since the TA would receive no commission for the booking and thus wouldn't want it.

After several discussions today with the TA, and his long telephone conversation with Carnival, the issue was resolved, the booking was transferred to him, and he will, of course, receive commission.

I didn't hear the original conversation with the Future Cruise personnel, but the TA determined during his conversation with Carnival that she was, indeed, given this erroneous information on board.

I choose to think the on board agent simply misunderstood the situation, and did not intentionally mislead her.

This posting is simply a reminder of how important it is to ask the right questions and to verify the answers.

Happy sailing!

One of my group booked a cruise while on board the Breeze last week. She asked to transfer the booking to her Travel Agent of Record, which I have previously done many times.

She was told by the salesman at the Future Cruise Desk that while she could transfer the booking, there was no point in doing so since the TA would receive no commission for the booking and thus wouldn't want it.

After several discussions today with the TA, and his long telephone conversation with Carnival, the issue was resolved, the booking was transferred to him, and he will, of course, receive commission.

I didn't hear the original conversation with the Future Cruise personnel, but the TA determined during his conversation with Carnival that she was, indeed, given this erroneous information on board.

I choose to think the on board agent simply misunderstood the situation, and did not intentionally mislead her.

This posting is simply a reminder of how important it is to ask the right questions and to verify the answers.

Happy sailing!

While nothing shocks me anymore, that would be so against everything they have done lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While nothing shocks me anymore, that would be so against everything they have done lately.

Right they built up TA's then dumped them . Then rebuilt TA's . It's a roller coaster world .

I agree. When she told me this I was shocked. I was even more shocked when the TA's conversation with Carnival today confirmed she was given the erroneous information.

As of now, all is well. Knowing all the questions to ask is exceedingly important.

I agree. When she told me this I was shocked. I was even more shocked when the TA's conversation with Carnival today confirmed she was given the erroneous information.

As of now, all is well. Knowing all the questions to ask is exceedingly important.

I will run it up the ladder and see what they say.

I will run it up the ladder and see what they say.

I am interested to hear Carnival's response. For the moment I am content to believe it was a misunderstanding.

What bothered me was wondering if the fact she may have appeared young and naive influenced the response, or whether the on-board agent was misinformed.

Carnival has eliminated the future cruise expert position and turned over onboard bookings to the Shore Excursion staff. I talked to a couple of ShoreX team members and they told me they were given very little training on bookings and have little time to dedicate to this task. It is a waste of time to book onboard. You can get the same deal for 2 weeks after your cruise and book it with your TA who is likely much more knowledgeable and will be happy to get your business.

I have never found the onboard agents knew what they were talking about. About anything really.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree. I tried once when the deal was much better, and the lady was clueless and seemed very impatient. I said forget it, thanked her, and politely left.

It doesn't even make sense to book while onboard. The same deal is valid post cruise for two or three weeks. You can wait till you're home and book with the TA then.

^^^^ This. Why waste valuable cruise time when you can get the same deal after you get home. Unless there is some super duper limited time offer that won't last - almost never the case.

Happy sailing!

Why is the TA entitled to a commission when he/she did not do anything?

I have never found the onboard agents knew what they were talking about. About anything really.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Perhaps in their training period, Carnival agents would be required to read several Cruise Critic threads on pertinent booking questions?

Why is the TA entitled to a commission when he/she did not do anything?

TA's do alot for people trust me I use one and he has had to spend quite a bit of time on the phone with Carnival that had I not had him would have been me wasting my time on the phone - Not to mention he always gives me additional OBC in addition to what ever Carnival gives me

Funny thing is I remember I was onboard once and booked while there as this was back when you had to book onboard to get the OBC and my booking was automatically put in my TA's name because I was booked under the current booking with her - I did not have to do anything to transfer it to her - Not sure if this still rings true today

Carnival has eliminated the future cruise expert position and turned over onboard bookings to the Shore Excursion staff. I talked to a couple of ShoreX team members and they told me they were given very little training on bookings and have little time to dedicate to this task.

Really? I remember saying this very thing was going to happen and was told no way by some on here. Sounds like my instincts were right.

. . .

Funny thing is I remember I was onboard once and booked while there as this was back when you had to book onboard to get the OBC and my booking was automatically put in my TA's name because I was booked under the current booking with her - I did not have to do anything to transfer it to her - Not sure if this still rings true today

That has been my previous experience too. That is why I was so surprised by what the on-board salesperson said last week.

Meanwhile, the reservation has now been transferred.

Carnival FC staff are often rude, impatient and their hours are very limited. Carnival tried to do away with TA’s years ago. Commission, collateral and support were cutback. When new management came in thankfully they realized the huge mistake of previous management. They are much more TA friendly nowadays. If they do cut the FC staff and roll it into the shore excursion desk hopefully that will make for a better experience. Now Royal does a first class job at the ‘Next Cruise’ desk. Carnival could learn a thing or two from that wonderful experience.

I had multiple good experiences when there were dedicated onboard Future Cruise Experts, and received some good advice from them. Since this has changed to a part-time job for the Shore Excursion team, all of the experiences have been bad.