Should I expect to smell smoke with a balcony cabin?

saraet4464

Next March my husband and I are sailing on the Carnival Vista. This will be our first time in a balcony cabin, (8th deck - mid ship). We are going with friends who tell me that once I sail in a balcony, I will never go back, but I am a little concerned that someone, somewhere on another balcony will be smoking. I do not care for cigarette smoke at all and easily smell it, if it is even remotely close.

I know that smoking in the cabins is strictly prohibited, but I also know that not everyone honors that rule. Personally, I will not hesitate to complain if there is an issue, but I am curious if this is a common issue or not.

Next March my husband and I are sailing on the Carnival Vista. This will be our first time in a balcony cabin, (8th deck - mid ship). We are going with friends who tell me that once I sail in a balcony, I will never go back, but I am a little concerned that someone, somewhere on another balcony will be smoking. I do not care for cigarette smoke at all and easily smell it, if it is even remotely close.

I know that smoking in the cabins is strictly prohibited, but I also know that not everyone honors that rule. Personally, I will not hesitate to complain if there is an issue, but I am curious if this is a common issue or not.

You shouldn't and if you do tell someone! We knew of a cabin smoking on their balcony and it was coming directly into ours. My husband can't stand the smell and it was effecting our cruise. Not only is it wrong (and they are told it's wrong), it's rude and inconsiderate!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have had balconies where I have smelled some smoke a few times during a cruise, and I have had balconies where I have smelled none at all. Honestly, there is no way to predict what you may smell, but I've found that asking the smoking party (if they are adjacent to my cabin) if they are aware that they can be fined for smoking on a balcony usually puts an end to it.

I sit on the same balcony as a smoker and never smell it. We are outdoors. You may smell the smokestack though. That puts out more pollutants in a second than all the smokers put out in a week.

• Like 1

We've cruised a lot over the years and only once was it an issue. We told the offending party on the balcony next to us about my daughters severe allergies and it never occurred again. I've heard of others calling guest services and complaining which solved the problem also. So either way you're probably ok.

expect to??? probably not...

can you??? absolutely, no matter what smokers tell you since they never really ever smell the smoke. I have and called guest services. If you do smell it and know where its coming from, say something to them or call guest services

Not to be a downer, but yeah. Just expect it. I haven't had a balcony yet that my "neighbors" didn't smoke. Sometimes it was light...other time the smoke was very long thick.

So if you expect it, and it doesn't happen, you'll be really happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been hit or miss for us. On the Carnival Dream we were completely smoked out. It seemed to come from multiple staterooms on our sides and from below. On the Westerdam we were all the way forward (2nd stateroom from the front) and never smelled a thing. On our last cruise aboard the MSC Divina we just got an occasional whiff of cigarettes but not enough to make it a chronic issue.

So my word of advice is that you do go prepared for the possibility of some offending neighbors, but at the same time don't torture yourself thinking that it WILL happen. You really won't know until you're actually there and find out your neighbor's habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've never been bothered by smoke, even back when smoking on balconies was allowed. I know there were smokers out there, because I could see them when I looked up & down the side of the ship. I guess the wind just carried it off.

As far as I understand the policy, smoking is strictly prohibited on balconies. If I smelled it, I would alert guest services.

And I'm a former smoker, but I always followed any rules regarding where to smoke. Now that I'm a non-smoker, I can't believe I ever subjected anyone to that smell! I can't stand it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last time we smelled smoke (pot) on a balcony was about 5 years ago, once, so as we always have a balcony and cruise once or twice a year (as often as we can get one in) then you should not expect it. If you do smell something you can call or go to GS to let them know. Look, balcony and OS cabins are so worth the risk at this point, things have gotten much better with the smoking on balconies.

Once you have that wonderful, peaceful, scenic and private piece of real estate called your balcony, you will always want one. Don't forget to order your coffee and pastries each night before you go to bed for delivery in time for sunrise on the balcony. Beautiful way to start each day on a cruise ship....:hearteyes:

The port side of the Lanai (deck 5) on Vista is the smoking side. We purposely booked starboard side to avoid potential smoke.

Regarding smoking on balconies, since the rule went into effect, we only experienced one smoking neighbor. We called Guest Services. Someone came to talk to the family. They were unaware of the rule and didn't smoke on their cabin again.

Once you have that wonderful, peaceful, scenic and private piece of real estate called your balcony, you will always want one. Don't forget to order your coffee and pastries each night before you go to bed for delivery in time for sunrise on the balcony. Beautiful way to start each day on a cruise ship....:hearteyes:

In 45 cruises I have yet to see a sunrise. Maybe someday - if I stay awake long enough from the night before. Don't think I'll ever wake up early enough to catch a sunrise ever.

But having quiet time on a balcony is usually a serene experience as you described it.

Are there balcony cabins close to designated smoking areas?

The closest would be the Aft balcony cabins (Havana cabins on the Vista). The designated smoking area is on Deck 11, Aft and Starboard side on the Vista. For information on smoking areas on each of Carnival's ships, go here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3490/~/locations-where-you-can-smoke

• 9 months later...

Just got off Carnival Breeze. The passenger with the balcony cabin next to ours was smoking . I and another passenger reported it. I was told they were going to leave him a note regarding this. He did not stop. I then confronted him by letting him know that smoking was prohibited on the balconies he replied okay and continued to smoke.