New boarding procedures questions

~Christie~

Hey all!

Hubby and I are seasoned cruisers, however we have not sailed since Carnival implemented the new check-in/boarding process where your sail and sign cards are left at your cabin door instead of you receiving them at check-in. So, I have a few questions about the new boarding/check-in procedures on Carnival.

1. Are you allowed to go and grab your sail & sign cards as soon as you get on board even if it is before 1:30pm?

2. If you are not allowed to get your sail & sign cards before 1:30 and you board earlier, how will it work if I want a "drink of the day" or soda as soon as I get on board?

If you have any other advise or tips please share (but be nice please - lol!)

Hey all!

Hubby and I are seasoned cruisers, however we have not sailed since Carnival implemented the new check-in/boarding process where your sail and sign cards are left at your cabin door instead of you receiving them at check-in. So, I have a few questions about the new boarding/check-in procedures on Carnival.

1. Are you allowed to go and grab your sail & sign cards as soon as you get on board even if it is before 1:30pm?

2. If you are not allowed to get your sail & sign cards before 1:30 and you board earlier, how will it work if I want a "drink of the day" or soda as soon as I get on board?

Your boarding pass will buy your drinks until you can get your card.

Additionaly, if you are diamond, platinum or have fttf and are onboard prior to 1:30, you can head to your cabin and grab the cards and enter cabin if needed.

Yes, those categories get "as soon as you board" access to their cabins

Ok does anyone know why they implemented this? Seems like too much could go wrong like kids grabbing cards before you get to your room and cards Just being placed in wrong mailbox. Seems odd to me but we have fttf so Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok does anyone know why they implemented this? Seems like too much could go wrong like kids grabbing cards before you get to your room and cards Just being placed in wrong mailbox. Seems odd to me but we have fttf so Ok.

To keep people from going to their cabin before they are ready. It really saves time and personnel.

The whole process of taking each passengers picture and printing out their S&S cards really slowed down the embarkation process. Now that they print up your S&S card ahead of time with your passport picture and just leave it at your cabin, the embarkation process goes much much faster. The ports without this new feature take much longer to board from what I’ve heard. Just imagine taking 3,000 pictures and printing out 3,000 cards. And if the envelope that your S&S card is in is opened or missing, then go straight to Guest Services and they will take care of it and print you a new one.

Thanks that makes sense. So our boarding pass w fttf will suffice to get us to our room?

Your cabin steward knows in advance which of his/her cabins have early access. If you are entitled to “soon as you board access”, no one will require you to prove it.

The whole process of taking each passengers picture and printing out their S&S cards really slowed down the embarkation process. Now that they print up your S&S card ahead of time with your passport picture and just leave it at your cabin, the embarkation process goes much much faster. The ports without this new feature take much longer to board from what I’ve heard. Just imagine taking 3,000 pictures and printing out 3,000 cards. And if the envelope that your S&S card is in is opened or missing, then go straight to Guest Services and they will take care of it and print you a new one.

Your cards were never printed at the port. They were always in an envelope behind the counter. The picture is tied to it via the computer system - it's not directly on your card and they still take your pic if you don't have a Passport, look different, or if it doesn't scan properly. They aren't put on "ahead of time" when the cards are in your box. It happens when you check in.

Hey all!

I’m a new cruiser (Inspiration 4-day in June) and I’ve been trying to gather as much current info on this topic as it appears Long Beach uses this new procedure and, I too had been curious about how to make purchases prior to receiving our S&S cards at 1:30. :confused:

Many thanks for the post as well as all the replies... it’s very helpful!

Does anyone know if this new system is used at the Port of Mobile? We sailed out of New Orleans on the Dream in January. I was surprised how quickly we traveled through the port and onto the ship! Thanks for the useful information in this thread.