Carnival tipping to Bag Porters

When I fly and check my bag at the airline counter , no tip. If I use curb side, I tip.

When I pull up to a cruise ship and drop off my bag, I am expected to tip although I won’t see my bag for many hours after that. And I’ve never had a bag lost between drop off and the ship.

We do usually tip about $5 a bag but that just seems too much (although I have no idea if these guys are getting paid a decent wage).

What do you tip ? What’s fair ?

Any insights welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually do $5 for two bags. No idea the % that actually tip them, but they always seem very happy for the $ so my guess is not that many people. Whatever, its a small amount and no matter what those guys make they are certainly working hard.

Dear Luckiestmanonearth,

Tipping is actually a personal matter.

FYI: Even in the Greater NJ/NYC area now suggested ones on your Bill are up to 29 %.. Yikes yes thats 29 percent. As well do you TIP on what you are Taxed too?

On tippimg Union Long Shoreman , I do and well. They are great and provide bettetr services than the OnBaord Luggage handlers.

In NYC, NY a Cruise line we had taken a few times was the ones which started Self Boarding as well self disembarking. The very first ones to leave the Union Longshoremen in the lurch.

That line had I think three older ships.

When I fly and check my bag at the airline counter , no tip. If I use curb side, I tip.

When I pull up to a cruise ship and drop off my bag, I am expected to tip although I won’t see my bag for many hours after that. And I’ve never had a bag lost between drop off and the ship.

We do usually tip about $5 a bag but that just seems too much (although I have no idea if these guys are getting paid a decent wage).

Any insights welcome

Dear Luckiestmanonearth,

Tipping is actually a personal matter.

FYI: Even in the Greater NJ/NYC area now suggested ones on your Bill are up to 29 %.. Yikes yes thats 29 percent. As well do you TIP on what you are Taxed too?

On tippimg Union Long Shoreman , I do and well. They are great and provide bettetr services than the OnBaord Luggage handlers.

In NYC, NY a Cruise line we had taken a few times was the ones which started Self Boarding as well self disembarking. The very first ones to leave the Union Longshoremen in the lurch.

That line had I think three older ships.

Will give a buck or two for a bag. One of the easiest jobs in the world. Get paid quite a bit for wheeling suitcases 20 ft or so. The cruise line porters who take our stuff onto the ship do a heck of a lot more and get paid a lot less

Will give a buck or two for a bag. One of the easiest jobs in the world. Get paid quite a bit for wheeling suitcases 20 ft or so. The cruise line porters who take our stuff onto the ship do a heck of a lot more and get paid a lot less

Do you go to a restaurant and say the cook does more work than the server for less pay so you shouldn’t tip the server much? Is it 20 feet at every port? Do they not load and unload the bags from the cart? It’s a job I wouldn’t want to do...loading and unloading bags in the hot sun.

When we go on a bus they adk us to put $1 a bag in the envelope going around .The porters seem happy to see a bus because they know there is at least 75 to 100 in that envelope and it is an easy 15 minutes to get all the suitcases on their way. Coming back several of us use the same porters so they can take a lot of us at once

FROM Investor's Business Daily .... 2015 ... So, several years old:

In fact, according to the union's own material, the average dock worker makes $147,000 in annual salary and pulls in $35,000 a year in employer-paid health care benefits. Pensions pay $80,000 a year.

LOL..Take your bag 20 feet? Not quite. they stack your luggage, push it inside to a large cavernous staging area, sort by deck and sectionand stack. Then luggage is stage for shipboard delivery. If it is so easy, next time you cruise, tell your porter, hey, take the day off I will do your job....Would wager few it anyone would be willing to switch for the day.

FROM Investor's Business Daily .... 2015 ... So, several years old:

In fact, according to the union's own material, the average dock worker makes $147,000 in annual salary and pulls in $35,000 a year in employer-paid health care benefits. Pensions pay $80,000 a year.

Yep, and the guys working the cruise ships are the most senior guys in the port, pulling down the highest salary in the port. The guys out loading containers and driving trucks around the port areas don't even get the chance for a tip, and earn less.

Longshoremen overall earned an average hourly wage of $24.98 an hour. The bottom 10 percent of longshoremen made under $39,671 a year, and the top 10 percent made more than $134,653annually. The ILA set the starting pay rate for longshoremen entering between October 2017 and September 2018 at $22.00 an hour, while the ILWU offered those starting between July 2017 and late June 2018 $29.49 an hour.

http://work.chron.com/average-wage-longshoreman-20463.html

Do you go to a restaurant and say the cook does more work than the server for less pay so you shouldn’t tip the server much? Is it 20 feet at every port? Do they not load and unload the bags from the cart? It’s a job I wouldn’t want to do...loading and unloading bags in the hot sun.

hmm never said I didnt give them a tip but think they make a lot for not a lot of work

Any insights welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always tip the guys that take my bag at the port. My thinking is a few bucks spent in that tip is cheap insurance for helping ensure my luggage makes it onto the ship. Besides that there are common sense and moral issues. Would you work for free or nearly free? I'm pretty sure those porters wouldn't either. Just treat those guys the same way you would want to be treated! That's absolutely fair. :)

I always tip the guys that take my bag at the port. My thinking is a few bucks spent in that tip is cheap insurance for helping ensure my luggage makes it onto the ship. Besides that there are common sense and moral issues. Would you work for free or nearly free? I'm pretty sure those porters wouldn't either. Just treat those guys the same way you would want to be treated! That's absolutely fair. :)

"work for free or nearly free"? How much do you make if you think 6 figures is "nearly free"? Besides, the guys working the cruise ships work about 5 hours doing bags and get paid for a full 8 hours, and Saturday/Sunday (familiar days for embarkation?) are premium rate days.