Carry On "Wine"

https://www.totalwine.com/cider/apple-cider/angry-orchard-the-muse/p/137280750-1?s=1001

I really am not a huge fan of "wine", but I enjoy drinking this. I have never seen it offered onboard, but I have seen the Angry Orchard bottles... If I wanted to bring this as a carry on would they allow it, since it "looks" like a bottle of wine? I'm not sure what the difference between cider and wine is, so if this is a dumb question, sorry!

https://www.totalwine.com/cider/apple-cider/angry-orchard-the-muse/p/137280750-1?s=1001

I really am not a huge fan of "wine", but I enjoy drinking this. I have never seen it offered onboard, but I have seen the Angry Orchard bottles... If I wanted to bring this as a carry on would they allow it, since it "looks" like a bottle of wine? I'm not sure what the difference between cider and wine is, so if this is a dumb question, sorry!

What cruise line and when is your sail date? I’ll be following this thread, because I would prefer this over wine also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Galveston port really inspects wine bottles and sodas to the point where it’s ridiculous. The second time I left through Galveston and security said to take my liquids to the inspection table I just kept walking.

Looks like a bottle of champagne. I’ve known pax who’ve taken Chimay (Belgian beer) onboard. It’s also bottled like champagne.

OTOH I’ve heard pax having trouble taking root beer onboard. Port workers thought it was alcoholic. Lol

I wouldn't think it would be a problem since as you say it looks like a wine bottle and the alcohol percentage is about half that of wine.

So is beer but they don't allow that either. I'm sure it all depends on how closely they inspect your bottle. Most likely it will be okay but no one can say for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I brew for a hobby, mostly beer but on a few occasions cider. I have always thought of it like this... fermented from grain = beer and fermented from fruit = wine. So I would define cider, very loosely, as a cider.

The personnel of any particular port may not care some random brewer's definitions, so I would be prepared to lose it, but play dumb and just say "Derp, I bought this fancy champagne for my cruise, I think the Angry Orchard winery is from Le Cider, France." ;)

In my state, you pay a deposit on beer bottles (even weird champagne ones) and not on cider bottles (even weird champagne ones). I think that the thought is that cider follows the rules of wine. I know for home-brewing purposes, cider is treated like wine...

If you care enough for an interesting read, that will NOT clarify anything... here is a rather interesting article.

And of course, please let us know what happens, I am curious, but my guess is nobody will think to hard and just wave you through.

Edited by SkyPiglet

I'm going to hold you to it ;) we have family coming with us that do not drink... So that's approximately 6 bottles I do NOT want to have to throw out :')

Well if they won’t allow it on, I would start chugging. If you can’t drink it all, I’m sure some people in line wouldn’t mind helping you out [emoji3] No way would I let good alcohol go to waste!

Well if they won’t allow it on, I would start chugging. If you can’t drink it all, I’m sure some people in line wouldn’t mind helping you out [emoji3] No way would I let good alcohol go to waste!

Reminds me of Charleston SC where the Sunshine was late getting there for her first voyage. People standing in line outside with coats on in the dark for hours.

All of a sudden you could see bottles of wine in the air being chugged :') and being passed around.

Carnival compensated no one for the delay ,but the mood of the crowd changed after the chugging :D.

Reminds me of Charleston SC where the Sunshine was late getting there for her first voyage. People standing in line outside with coats on in the dark for hours.

All of a sudden you could see bottles of wine in the air being chugged :') and being passed around.

Carnival compensated no one for the delay ,but the mood of the crowd changed after the chugging [emoji3].

Whatever it takes [emoji3]!

I think the best answer is: maybe. It really isn't wine, and they sell cider onboard (a bucket of 4 ciders saves you $2 if you don't have Cheers). However it is a 750ml bottle that looks like wine.

My suggestion is to try some sweet fruit (non-grape) wines. I'm not sure where you live, but PA and NY wineries (probably others too) have some really good wines. Some types I enjoy are peach, mint tea, apple* and berry. Moscato is a grape based wine, but semi-close to cider. Mead is a wine made from fermented honey and is usually sweet but also has semi-sweet/drier varieties - it can be a good option too. I've also had some good chocolate wines (like drinking a chocolate covered strawberry:D) but if you don't like the grape part of wine it probably wouldn't work.

Apple wine is often spiced, but sometimes sold plain. If spiced, you would likely want it warm so not good for a cruise, but plain can be good.

I brew for a hobby, mostly beer but on a few occasions cider. I have always thought of it like this... fermented from grain = beer and fermented from fruit = wine. So I would define cider, very loosely, as a cider.

The personnel of any particular port may not care some random brewer's definitions, so I would be prepared to lose it, but play dumb and just say "Derp, I bought this fancy champagne for my cruise, I think the Angry Orchard winery is from Le Cider, France." ;)

In my state, you pay a deposit on beer bottles (even weird champagne ones) and not on cider bottles (even weird champagne ones). I think that the thought is that cider follows the rules of wine. I know for home-brewing purposes, cider is treated like wine...

If you care enough for an interesting read, that will NOT clarify anything... here is a rather interesting article.

And of course, please let us know what happens, I am curious, but my guess is nobody will think to hard and just wave you through.

Interesting article, but I found this part confusing: Does your cider happen to be especially bubbly? If it's above .39% carbon dioxide, it's legally champagne!

I thought to be legally called champagne it had to be made from grapes from the Champagne region of France, otherwise it is sold as sparking wine. Did that change?

Edited by pacruise804
closed )

Interesting article, but I found this part confusing: Does your cider happen to be especially bubbly? If it's above .39% carbon dioxide, it's legally champagne!

I thought to be legally called champagne it had to be made from grapes from the Champagne region of France, otherwise it is sold as sparking wine. Did that change?

Like I said, the article is an interesting read, but would NOT clear things up ;p. I am guessing that the .39% is referencing some state or federal liquor law. I am not sure being of the Champagne region of France has any legal bearing on the definition any United States jurisdiction, especially with 'champagne." Under EU law it is probably different legal story. Then of course there are the wine aficionados, organizations of wineries, and others who have their own definitions. Then of course their are overly pedantic drinkers like me who love to talk about the definitions, have no clue what the actual answer is, but enjoy the stuff a bit too much now and then ;) Relevant to this thread, I doubt the port personnel care about ANY of this stuff, and either make their own judgement calls, or just avoid the issue to keep people moving.

I will say, that in brewing wine, or cider, or beer, or whatever, the strains of yeast that are raised ferment champagne are more highly alcohol tolerant, surviving the fermentation process longer, producing a higher alcohol content, and then of course, far more carbonation. Yum!:halo:

I just went to Angry Orchard website and the bottle says Apple Wine...so you are g2g!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk