Boarding time....

may1021

Ticket says boarding starts at 1:00. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, boarding Niew Amsterdam today.;)

Do they board before this if they are prepared or do they wait until 1?

Last cruise I was on that left out of NYC...they waited until 1 to start to board.

In my experience, if they are ready for new passengers to board, they will allow boarding earlier. We have usually boarded between 11:30 am and 12 noon.

Some will warn you that the lines will be longer, but DH and I have often been in some early groups to board. We enjoy exploring the public areas of the ship while everyone else is still eating lunch in the lido. He gets some good pictures of the public areas that way.

Fair warning... you'll be dragging your carry-ons around with you until cabins are available. Sometimes, there is a carry-on drop-off area by the Lido pool midship where one can get a claim ticket to pickup the carry-on once the cabins are available.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by trvlcrzy

Ticket says boarding starts at 1:00. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, boarding Niew Amsterdam today.;)

Do they board before this if they are prepared or do they wait until 1?

Last cruise I was on that left out of NYC...they waited until 1 to start to board.

Boarding (embarkation), will commence @ 11:30!:)

The majority of the time we have gotten to the pier by 11 AM -- when the terminal doors open. Then we check in and they usually start to call passengers to get on the ship around 11:30.

Cabins won't be ready but you can go to the Lido for lunch -- or the main dining room if you are a Mariner.

Cabins should be ready by 1:30.

• 6 years later...

This is a 6 year old thread. Things have changed.

Some of HAL's ships are testing scheduled boarding (most notably, Koningsdam). Otherwise, boarding starts at about 11:30, and your cabin will be ready when you board.

The 1pm boarding is a suggestion, not a requirement.

I never heard of a carry on drop of location.. That is sure nice. I have never been on HAL before. I am wondering if anyone one who has been on recent sailings has seen this option. Love this idea.

As Cruiser Bruce noted above, this thread is almost 7 years old, and the boarding procedures have changed somewhat. All passenger cabins are now routinely accessible upon boarding, and you can simply proceed to your cabin and leave your carry-ons there. The rest of Bruce's information is equally pertinent to today, 2017.

I never heard of a carry on drop of location.. That is sure nice. I have never been on HAL before. I am wondering if anyone one who has been on recent sailings has seen this option. Love this idea.

This was done when the cabins weren't ready at boarding. There is no reason for a carry on drop off area today, as you cabin is now ready when you board. But, yes, in the past, we have seen this, and the Neptune Lounge also functioned as a carry on storage area for the suites back then as well.

• 10 months later...