Signs!

Turtles06

My wife and I have just returned from the 20-night Viking Passage aboard the Zuiderdam. It was our first HAL cruise, and quite an amazing adventure. I hope to post some overall reactions after I've caught my breath. I've started going through my photos, though, and here are a couple of shipboard signs that made an impression. ;p

This sign is in each of the Zuiderdam's four outside/glass elevators. It's always hard for me to imagine how such a glaring error on such a professionally produced sign (engraved no less) makes it all the way to completion and installation. (And I wonder how long these signs have been there.)

enhance

On our very first morning, I went into the buffet for breakfast. This sign gave me quite a chuckle.

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

My wife and I have just returned from the 20-night Viking Passage aboard the Zuiderdam. It was our first HAL cruise, and quite an amazing adventure. I hope to post some overall reactions after I've caught my breath. I've started going through my photos, though, and here are a couple of shipboard signs that made an impression. ;p

This sign is in each of the Zuiderdam's four outside/glass elevators. It's always hard for me to imagine how such a glaring error on such a professionally produced sign (engraved no less) makes it all the way to completion and installation. (And I wonder how long these signs have been there.)

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Its clear to see that any ship should carefully review it's signs before posting.

;p

(My English degree + first job as a proofreader kicking in.....)

Its clear to see that any ship should carefully review it's signs before posting.

;p

(My English degree + first job as a proofreader kicking in.....)

This elevator?

Thanks proof reader. I wasn’t a A student in English, Ended up being a marine engineer and project manager that refits and keeps ships safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This elevator?

Thanks proof reader. I wasn’t a A student in English, Ended up being a marine engineer and project manager that refits and keeps ships safe.

Thanks for your work in keeping ships safe. :D

I find my work in keeping the world safe from grammar, spelling and punctuation issues is often underappreciated; ne'ertheless I persist.

One might wonder how the world is kept safe by my efforts -- I have only to point to the difference in the following:

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma!"

I find my work in keeping the world safe from grammar, spelling and punctuation issues is often underappreciated; ne'ertheless I persist.

One might wonder how the world is kept safe by my efforts -- I have only to point to the difference in the following:

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma!"

Believe me, we need folks like you! [emoji851] Thank you!

I'm not sure how wrong this sign is. IIRC, there is a gangway on A-deck at the midship stairs. An elevator right at the hull would likely land outside the security checkpoint when a gangway is set up there. There are several elevators at the midship landing including some right opposite the main staircases. Those "other elevators" could certainly be used to get to an A-deck gangway. The wording is a bit awkward but I think perfectly reasonable.

Roy

I'm not sure how wrong this sign is. IIRC, there is a gangway on A-deck at the midship stairs. An elevator right at the hull would likely land outside the security checkpoint when a gangway is set up there. There are several elevators at the midship landing including some right opposite the main staircases. Those "other elevators" could certainly be used to get to an A-deck gangway. The wording is a bit awkward but I think perfectly reasonable.

Roy

I agree. It tall work, think she was talking about using our vs the,

It all good.....

was on a cruise ship a few years ago. The first thing I always do is check that all is ok and as it should be. I looked under the bed to see if it was clean and saw a sign saying "yes we do clean under here".....

This is so funny . In 80 cruises we never thought of checking under the bed :'):'):')

Roy

You're correct, as usual Roy! That elevator, if used during port days, will land you right smack behind the X-Ray machines and metal detectors in the sterile zone and, opposite of where the outbound pax will be gathering to disembark. Can't have that, hence the sign. The Security supervisors carry an "elevator key" which they will use to prevent that particular cab from "landing" on A-Deck when the gangway operation is in progress

Roy

I think the original point was use of the contraction "it's" as in "... due to it is/has location ..." rather than "its" as in "... due to its location ..."

I think the original point was use of the contraction "it's" as in "... due to it is/has location ..." rather than "its" as in "... due to its location ..."

Awww ok......

We must all be bored to today to be talking about this

Time to start making packing list for our cruise in 3 weeks. [emoji41]

was on a cruise ship a few years ago. The first thing I always do is check that all is ok and as it should be. I looked under the bed to see if it was clean and saw a sign saying "yes we do clean under here".....

This is so funny . In 80 cruises we never thought of checking under the bed :'):'):')

I generally end up looking under the bed, but not to check it cleanliness, its to figure out how to stuff our luggage under it. On our last Prinsendam cruise the things would not go all the way under the bed, no matter how hard I tried. After getting down and taking a good look, I found that the bedding for the pull out sofa was in the way. A quick rearrangement of the 2 bundles of blankets/pillows and our 3 pieces disappeared from the cabin, until they magically re-appeared on the afternoon of the last sea day.

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma!"

My father brought me up on "Charles the First walked and talked an hour after his head was cut off!"

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma!"

Reminds me of the book I enjoyed reading: Eats, Shoots & Leaves. According to E,S&L wars have broken out from punctuation and grammar errors.

The signs in the OP are definitely victims of spell-check or auto-correct. I see stuff like that frequently and not just on cruise ships.

Indeed. I’d prefer some positive items too, we need to realize these are ships designed and built in other countries as we aren’t capable to build them efficiently....

Yes, we can build those ships right here at Newport News Shipbuilding, one of the largest contractors in the world, where almost all new Navy ships (aircraft carriers and subs) are built. BUT the problem is cost. It would probably cost twice what a cruise line is willing to pay to build one of their ships here. To my knowledge, the last cruise ship built here was the ss United States, which still holds the record for a trans-Atlantic crossing.