American Queen Return Travel

raptor11

We are taking the American Queen on their Holiday cruise this December (2016) from New Orleans to Memphis. I do not live near an airport so we will drive to New Orleans and leave our car somewhere. When we arrive in Memphis there is no convenient transport back to New Orleans. I called American Queen and they said rent a car or fly. Flying the 300 miles is about $800 dollars , outrageous. Anyone have any suggestions? American Queen is not of much help.

Amtrak's "City of New Orleans" has daily service through Memphis. I'm not sure of the time it passes through Memphis, but even with a sleeper the cost for two would be less than $800.oo!

That may be what we do, spend the night in Memphis, catch Amtrac in the morn back to New Orleans. Amtrac will be less than $100 and room about the same. Add a little for taxi fare and still probably less than $250 total.

Drive to Memphis, leave your car (a challenge, but probably surmountable) and fly/train to New Orleans.

Did you look into a one-way car rental? Try it both ways.

Good luck working it out.

• 2 weeks later...
We are taking the American Queen on their Holiday cruise this December (2016) from New Orleans to Memphis. I do not live near an airport so we will drive to New Orleans and leave our car somewhere. When we arrive in Memphis there is no convenient transport back to New Orleans. I called American Queen and they said rent a car or fly. Flying the 300 miles is about $800 dollars , outrageous. Anyone have any suggestions? American Queen is not of much help.

I just called the company today for info on the same cruise for my mum and I. Before I book it I'm looking at airfare from Ontario, Canada. Have you cruised with them before? Any tips on cabin selection?

I just called the company today for info on the same cruise for my mum and I. Before I book it I'm looking at airfare from Ontario, Canada. Have you cruised with them before? Any tips on cabin selection?

I was looking at doing this route but the only non stop flights from YYZ are to NOLA ones from MEM there is a connection

not sure if we will do this cruise or the one on American Empress ..still flights with connections which we hate to do

If you want privacy choose the ones on deck 2 they have a nice window

the ones on the upper deck open to the public deck space with people passing by your cabin

or the top deck with private suites if you can afford them