Questions about Cape Town/South Africa? Ask a Capetonian!

Zimbo

• 1 month later...

We will be in Capetown this August and we are very worried about the water situation in Capetown. We will be staying in 2 hotels while we are there. Victoria and Alfred before the start of our tour and then with AMA Waterways and staying a Cape Grace. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We will be in Capetown this August and we are very worried about the water situation in Capetown. We will be staying in 2 hotels while we are there. Victoria and Alfred before the start of our tour and then with AMA Waterways and staying a Cape Grace. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We were in Cape Town late November and in South Africa for a month - there were no timed stoppages that were threatened ie water turned off for a specified number of hours each day. We were encouraged to keep showers short and collect surplus water in a bucket to water the garden or if clean enough, flush the toilet.

Rental cars weren’t washed, etc. Other than that, all was normal.

We were in Cape Town late November and in South Africa for a month - there were no timed stoppages that were threatened ie water turned off for a specified number of hours each day. We were encouraged to keep showers short and collect surplus water in a bucket to water the garden or if clean enough, flush the toilet.

Rental cars weren’t washed, etc. Other than that, all was normal.

Thank you for your input. I called AMA & their program mgr in Capetown said there will no problem. So excited about our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure that anyone can presently say with any confidence what the situation will be like six months from now.

The cruise line has a vested interest in telling you now that everything will be fine, because it doesn't want people cancelling their trips for fear of what things might be like then.

However, family and friends in Cape Town are already starting to make contingency plans in case the current direction of travel continues, which include relocating from Cape Town. We all hope that it won't happen; Day Zero has now been pushed back to 9 July and everyone hopes that the winter rains will arrive by then. But there is little point in disguising the potential seriousness of the situtation. If there is no water, there will be no water for anyone: tourists will not be immune or exempt.

I'm not sure that anyone can presently say with any confidence what the situation will be like six months from now. The cruise line has a vested interest in telling you now that everything will be fine, because it doesn't want people cancelling their trips for fear of what things might be like then. If there is no water, there will be no water for anyone: tourists will not be immune or exempt.

Yes, good points and question regarding the water challenges for South Africa. But another major issue seems to have arisen.

From the London/UK Daily Mail Independent yesterday, they have this headline: South Africa votes to seize land from white farmers without compensation with these highlights: South Africa‘s parliament has passed a motion to seize land from white farmers without paying them compensation. Passed by an overwhelming majority of 241 votes to 83 votes against, the proposal to amend the constitution would allow expropriation of land without any financial recompense. It was put forward by the radical left Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) party, whose leader Julius Malema told the country's parliament: 'We must ensure that we restore the dignity of our people without compensating the criminals who stole our land.' The ruling African National Congress (ANC) amended but supported the motion.

It is unclear as to exactly what ALL of this really means for the future of South Africa, its tourism industry, etc. Not many of the major international media have covered this story, yet. I am sure thee will be more to come. Just had a good friend ask me yesterday about Africa and doing safari options there. I will share this story with him. Would look forward to gaining any insights and details from those in South Africa.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-white-farms-land-seizure-anc-race-relations-a8234461.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Edited by TLCOhio

Yes, good points and question regarding the water challenges for South Africa. But another major issue seems to have arisen.

From the London/UK Daily Mail Independent yesterday, they have this headline: South Africa votes to seize land from white farmers without compensation with these highlights: South Africa‘s parliament has passed a motion to seize land from white farmers without paying them compensation. Passed by an overwhelming majority of 241 votes to 83 votes against, the proposal to amend the constitution would allow expropriation of land without any financial recompense. It was put forward by the radical left Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) party, whose leader Julius Malema told the country's parliament: 'We must ensure that we restore the dignity of our people without compensating the criminals who stole our land.' The ruling African National Congress (ANC) amended but supported the motion.

It is unclear as to exactly what ALL of this really means for the future of South Africa, its tourism industry, etc. Not many of the major international media have covered this story, yet. I am sure thee will be more to come. Just had a good friend ask me yesterday about Africa and doing safari options there. I will share this story with him. Would look forward to gaining any insights and details from those in South Africa.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/south-africa-white-farms-land-seizure-anc-race-relations-a8234461.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

Thanks Terry. I had read the article on the BBC website. As a regular visitor to South Africa, I sincerely hope they don't make the same mistakes as Zimbabwe. Potential instability will adversely affect inward investment and derail the much needed economic growth. I'm hopeful there won't be any negative impact before our next visit in January 2019.

• 1 month later...

Hi, do you know a tour operator for East London? Thank you!

Hi all

I see there are a number of threads asking various questions and for suggestions on activities in Cape Town and other parts of SA. I have lived in Cape Town for over 10 years now (previously was in Zimbabwe), so know these parts pretty well, and have been fortunate to travel relatively extensively.

I am new to these boards, so don't have the time to go through all the individual threads, but thought I would offer my help, where I can, in this thread. So please feel free to fire away, and I will try be of help as often as possible.

(Admin, if this is not allowed, please feel free to lock/delete this thread, no offense will be taken! :) )

• 4 weeks later...
Fortunately, the measures that have been taken this year have been successful, and Day Zero should not now happen in 2018. There's been a long article in the Financial Times this week about it (or a direct link for subscribers).

Appreciate this added background and this link. But, there are other questions. From the major Times newspaper in South Africa last month, they had this headline: Aussie travel advisory bashes South Africawith these highlights: Murder‚ rape‚ car hijackings‚ civil unrest‚ water shortages‚ spiked drinks‚ drunk drivers and terrorism.These are just a few of the horrors that could be encountered by people heading to South Africa‚ according to travel advice by the Australian government’s department of foreign affairs and trade. Travel advisory website smartraveller.gov.au urges visitors to exercise a 'high degree of caution' in South Africa and offers an extensive list of dangers under the heading 'safety and security' .

Full story at:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-04-17-aussie-travel-advisory-bashes-south-africa/

We will hope for the best in the future for South Africa and its people. BUT, if planning to be there in the next year, I would encourage researching and preparing accordingly.

Fortunately, the measures that have been taken this year have been successful, and Day Zero should not now happen in 2018. There's been a long article in the Financial Times this week about it (or a direct link for subscribers).

Appreciate this link and the update on conditions there. Was able to open and read this article. Great sharing!! Will keep following South Africa with interesting. Wonderful lands and people.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 38,660 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 2 months later...

From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia two days ago, they have this part of their headline: hottest cruise destinations: most surprising placeswith these highlights: You can add a pre or post-cruise safari to cruises around South Africa, which usually start or finish at Cape Town or Durban – and visit a wonderful range of wildlife reserves on day tours from most ports of call.

Other story tips cited include: "DON'T MISS: Robben Island, Table Mountain and Winelands in Cape Town; Addo Elephant Park from Port Elizabeth; Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park and iSimangaliso Wetland Park from Richards Bay, for Big Five sightings on 4WD game drives."

YES! We were fortunate two years ago to enjoy most all of these highlights cited in this travel article. Full details and lots of pictures on my live/blog.

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/the-most-surprising-places-you-can-choose-to-cruise-h12jaa

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 22,040 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From the London/UK Evening Standard three days ago, they have this headline: Your ultimate guide to Cape Town with these highlights: Perfectly poised on the edge of the Atlantic, with the dramatic Table Mountain and Lion’s Head as its backdrop, and wide, open beaches at every turn, I read recently that Cape Town is like “the prettiest girl at the dance”. And I couldn’t agree more. It is not only her natural beauty that makes the Mother City such a desirable destination. Cape Town’s culinary scene, world-class wines, budding cultural offering, and happy and friendly locals certainly add to the allure as well.

Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/georgia-hopkins-itsbeautifulhere-cape-town-guide-a3881571.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 208,306 views for this posting.

From Fortune magazine yesterday, they had this headline: Cape Town: Best Travel Tips with these highlights: First-class wines, beautiful beaches, powerful history—how do you take it all in when visiting one of Africa’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities? Franschhoek—Afrikaans for 'French corner'—is about an hour from Cape Town and is known as the culinary capital of South Africa. It’s where the Huguenots first settled around 1600 and today is home to some of the country’s best restaurants and wine estates. Everything in this quaint town has a French feel, which is really weird and wonderful in the middle of South Africa.

For a special thill, they suggested: "The day would begin with a dramatic, scenic helicopter trip over the Cape Peninsula, affording jaw-dropping views of the waterfront, Table Mountain, and the Cape of Good Hope." YES, did that helicopter trip two years ago and it was totally amazing. Great sights and fun!! More, including lots of pictures, can be seen on my live/blog for this great part of the world.

Full story at:

http://fortune.com/2018/07/21/cape-town-best-travel-tips/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 228,524 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Also looking. We shall be there on the Nautica for the day

Appreciate this good question and this follow-up. Sorry do not have a good or perfect suggestion. In early 2016, when we visited East London, we were able to hook up with a private special event through our ship speaker. Our wonderful experience involved visiting a local school, being involved in an amazing music/dance program, plus interacting with the students, seeing demonstrations for rugby and cricket, etc. Wonderful learning and sharing activity for us. We were very fortunate!

Per TripAdvisor, there are some nature, beach, etc., options in the area. Overall, however, this port seems a little limited with its options. On this TripAdvisor website, they listed Imonti Tours as a group for contact. You can reach them through this e-mail: info@imontitours.co.za

For Mrs. f, we will be doing Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, Nautica sailing from Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Any special suggestions for us in in doing Oceania for the first time?

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 40,376 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Appreciate this good question and this follow-up. Sorry do not have a good or perfect suggestion. In early 2016, when we visited East London, we were able to hook up with a private special event through our ship speaker. Our wonderful experience involved visiting a local school, being involved in an amazing music/dance program, plus interacting with the students, seeing demonstrations for rugby and cricket, etc. Wonderful learning and sharing activity for us. We were very fortunate!

Per TripAdvisor, there are some nature, beach, etc., options in the area. Overall, however, this port seems a little limited with its options. On this TripAdvisorwebsite, they listed Imonti Tours as a group for contact. You can reach them through this e-mail: info@imontitours.co.za

For Mrs. f, we will be doing Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, Nautica sailing from Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Any special suggestions for us in in doing Oceania for the first time?

Now at 40,376 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hi Terry...

Sounds like a great itinerary. Definitely look at private excursions in Israel. There should be loads. Don't know what ports in Israel besides Haifa. When we were at Bahia gardens a few years ago we saw the Oceania docked. From Haifa, around the bay...Akko (ACRE). We were on a private tour and went to the old section, Knights Templar. Our guy took us to a local place for lunch (yummy) and then we wandered the small streets. Was great. Jerusalem for a day is a must whatever your religion. We spent one day on our own just wandering around the old city...church of the holy sepulchre (mobbed)..stations of the cross (We are Jewish but love history) The little streets with shops of every kind. You can do the Holocaust Museum and the Israeli Museum on your own. Everything in English. If Petra is an option, definitely go.

We will be on our second Oceania trip. This one is Cape Town to Singapore. We love Oceania. Have circled on my calendar the date we can sign up for special restaurants. We also plan on bringing wine onboard with us. Even with corkage charge, we will still do better. Especially since we will be in wineries in Capetown before the cruise. Will also get a wine package.

Anything else i can tell you, just adk. You can also email me at

marjim48@gmail.com

Miriam Feldman

Hi Terry... Sounds like a great itinerary. Definitely look at private excursions in Israel. There should be loads. Don't know what ports in Israel besides Haifa. Jerusalem for a day is a must whatever your religion. We spent one day on our own just wandering around the old city...church of the holy sepulchre (mobbed)..stations of the cross (We are Jewish but love history) The little streets with shops of every kind. We will be on our second Oceania trip. This one is Cape Town to Singapore. We love Oceania. Have circled on my calendar the date we can sign up for special restaurants. We also plan on bringing wine onboard with us. Even with corkage charge, we will still do better. Especially since we will be in wineries in Capetown before the cruise. Will also get a wine package. Miriam Feldman

Appreciate Miriam's added details and this helpful follow-up. YES, our plan for Jerusalem is to have a private guide. For our overnight stay in Israel, we are planning to be overnight in Jerusalem in order to maximize our opportunities and have nearly two days there in this historic city.

Any special tips for in doing our first sailing with Oceania?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 236,320 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...

From the CNN cable news network in late July, they had this headline: 30 best things to do in Cape Town with these highlights: Cape Town is one of the world's most beautiful cities. From almost any vantage point, there's a mountain or an ocean in view, and often both. The weather is notoriously fickle -- it's easy to experience four seasons in a day. But that just reminds of the variety of things to do. If it's too cloudy to hike on the mountain, then there's art galleries, wineries and beaches. Swim with a penguin, burrow deep into the city's history, or just walk along cobblestone streets.

WOW!! Lots of great tips and ideas are shared in this report. What is shared brings back wonderful memories from our five days in Cape Town. Here is more from their profile: "Cape Town is defined by Table Mountain. Locals give directions based on whether to drive towards or away from it, and by which side of the mountain something is on. The mountain affects weather, views, and in a particular way, moods. When the day is clear and the mountain's edges are crisp, life just seems better. The notorious Robben Island prison that held Nelson Mandela and other heroes of the liberation struggle is now a museum, unique in that the tours are given by former inmates. While the prison itself is a sobering window on the conditions suffered by political prisoners, it's the first-hand accounts that give life to the place."

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cape-town-best-things/index.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,121 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From that CNN cable news network story in late July about the30 best things to do in Cape Town, below are four of their visual highlights. Fun!! These and others bring back nice memories from our five days in Cape Town two years ago. More on the live/blog for that adventure.

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cape-town-best-things/index.html

Now at 40,651 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here are just four of the 22 visuals used in this CNN piece. First is a sampling of sumptuous high tea at the luxurious Mount Nelson Hotel across from the Company's Garden. Second features Bo-Kaap, the brightly-painted homes along cobblestone streets reflecting this multicultural neighborhood. Many freed slaves settled there after emancipation, giving rise to the Cape Malay culture. Third is Chapman's Peak Drive, a winding, cliffside route clinging to the edge of the mountain, with a sheer drop to the ocean below. Fourth is Boulders Beach/Simon's Town with its cute colony of African penguins.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-03%20at%204.02.30%20PM_zpsflhugsmk.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-03%20at%204.03.21%20PM_zpsk0suklm8.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-03%20at%204.03.06%20PM_zpsvzton2sp.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-03%20at%204.01.37%20PM_zpsmmzkisqs.png

• 4 weeks later...

From the New York Times Travel Section last weekend, they had this headline for this potential attraction nearby to Cape Town: Whale Watching Is a Waiting Game (With Penguins) with these highlights: “If you visit Hermanus, South Africa, between the months of July and November, you will see whales. Countless whales. A bountiful bevy of behemoths, shimmying and gyrating for your entertainment, easily glimpsed from any cliff top along the shore. During South Africa’s winter and spring months, hundreds of southern right whales make their way to its coast, congregating in the waters of Walker Bay to calve and mate. The result has the tiny coastal hamlet of Hermanus proudly proclaiming itself the whale-watching capital of the world.

Many pictures, details and options are contained in this profile. They also share about nearby for . . . "Simon’s Town on the Cape Peninsula to the west is home to a much more famous colony of African penguins."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/travel/south-africa-whale-watching.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 210,877 views for this posting.

From the New York Times Travel Section last weekend, here below is one of the pictures used to illustrate this story related to South Africa and this natural attraction near Cape Town.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/travel/south-africa-whale-watching.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront

Here are two of the visuals with this NY Times profile for whales in South Africa. Look interesting?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-31%20at%204.24.02%20PM_zps2z9tmkos.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-31%20at%204.30.30%20PM_zpsoskncmga.png

“If you visit Hermanus, South Africa, between the months of July and November, you will see whales. Countless whales. A bountiful bevy of behemoths, shimmying and gyrating for your entertainment, easily glimpsed from any cliff top along the shore. During South Africa’s winter and spring months, hundreds of southern right whales make their way to its coast, congregating in the waters of Walker Bay to calve and mate. The result has the tiny coastal hamlet of Hermanus proudly proclaiming itself the whale-watching capital of the world.”
I've said this before, but it's worth saying again: for whale watching you're probably even better off going around the bay to Gansbaai.

The number of Southern Right Whales gathering in Walker Bay have been getting less each year. The locals say a few years ago you could stand on the coastal path and see whales every couple of minutes. The last time we were in Hermanus (October 17) we didn’t see one. If it’s Great Whites you want to see then Gansbaai is the place - cage diving is very popular there but not for me!